PDA

View Full Version : Bummer...

Ghimel
06-25-2011, 02:27 AM
So, a friend and I find a secluded area with no other totems around that's pretty far from the lake and we decide to set up camp. 2 days pass by and I log in to discover that someone chopped down every tree that was not in our Totem's radius and just left them there.

If you need wood, fine, but why come all the way out to just chop trees for no reason?

Bummer.

NorCalGooey
06-25-2011, 04:37 AM
Reason is experience for logging and wood crafting. So you guys are moving? Good luck with that. If you ever decide to join a tribe, check out the Audacian Republic. :)

Jadzia
06-25-2011, 04:41 AM
So, a friend and I find a secluded area with no other totems around that's pretty far from the lake and we decide to set up camp. 2 days pass by and I log in to discover that someone chopped down every tree that was not in our Totem's radius and just left them there.

If you need wood, fine, but why come all the way out to just chop trees for no reason?

Bummer.

If I remember correctly tree respawn will be implemented with the next patch. Till then just gather all the wood they left behind and enjoy the supply :)

Book
06-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Yeah, can be a bummer when that happens. As Jadzia pointed out though, regrowth should be here shortly!

In the meantime, since you've just set up shop, you'll have a lot of building to do and the wood will come in handy. If you like the spot, you don't necessarily have to move.

I'd like to think people are leaving the trees as they're leveling their logging skills to be nice, letting me decide if I want long or short logs. Then again, there's no name attached to a felled tree like there is a log... so maybe they just don't want to leave evidence :p

Rudder
06-26-2011, 05:37 AM
As Ive been moving through area's of chopped tree's I've been chopping up the fallen tree's looking for tree's I can skill up on. Working on tree's is forbidden in a tribal area, so take care of the downers yourself. The tree's HAVE respawned since being cut originally as I'm finding dropped tree's next to regrowth. It's hard to tell anything until the downers are chopped up. I don't clear-cut and usually leave a few tree's in the area UNLIKE to original clear-cutters. My name will will be spotted on lots of logs now since I will chop the logs NOW even for the little level xp - I'll not wait until a fix is implemented regarding logger chopping xp. I like to explore and I really like to see where I'm going.

MrDDT
06-26-2011, 07:57 AM
As Ive been moving through area's of chopped tree's I've been chopping up the fallen tree's looking for tree's I can skill up on. Working on tree's is forbidden in a tribal area, so take care of the downers yourself. The tree's HAVE respawned since being cut originally as I'm finding dropped tree's next to regrowth. It's hard to tell anything until the downers are chopped up. I don't clear-cut and usually leave a few tree's in the area UNLIKE to original clear-cutters. My name will will be spotted on lots of logs now since I will chop the logs NOW even for the little level xp - I'll not wait until a fix is implemented regarding logger chopping xp. I like to explore and I really like to see where I'm going.

You are likely seeing the effect of the world respawn Xsyon did of ALL trees. It was a 1 time event.
Trees do NOT regrow, or respawn currently.
Copping up a felled tree gives 0 exp. Felling a tree gives exp, and cutting up wood logs using woodcraft does, but NOT cutting a felled tree into logs.

Rudder
06-26-2011, 06:07 PM
chopping a felled tree does give level up xp - I have leveled twice today that way.

NorCalGooey
06-26-2011, 06:37 PM
You must have chopped 1000s of felled trees and only been one tree fell away from a level up.

Both have XP equivalent to each other ;)

MrDDT
06-26-2011, 06:40 PM
chopping a felled tree does give level up xp - I have leveled twice today that way.

Ive chopped up 1000s of trees, and a dev told me it doesnt. So you are either lying, bugged, or mistaken. Please check your facts.

I even just tested it, and it still doesnt even on a toon with 5 logging, and 5 woodcraft which would mean I would see the most xp at those levels. This was tested with 25 trees 0 exp gain.

Rudder
06-28-2011, 04:43 AM
Well it certainly did something besides clean up the hillsides. I really want to hear what Joordi has to say on this matter.

Plague
06-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Chopping down fallen trees does not level you. I asked devs and they told me (and I have posted it here before).

xyberviri
06-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Chopping down fallen trees does not level you. I asked devs and they told me (and I have posted it here before).

uhm....

the patch notes do say:

Character:
- Character gains skill through hunting.
- Character gains skill through logging and chopping logs.
- Looting, opening and hunting works while swimming.

Willowhawk
06-30-2011, 09:26 PM
I chose logging and woodworking as my main skills and it has been a bit disappointing to say the least. Mostly because people keep clearing all the trees in our area (because we are out away from the mainland areas so I guess they think it's not going to offend anyone?) Leaving a choice for us of doing the same thing, or hoping for a change to the mechanics of logging.

So I think I have a better solution than what I have read previously. (Chopping large logs into small logs then into firewood). Rather than chopping 24 small logs from a massive fir tree in one fell swoop (in 20 seconds no less), why not chop short logs and get ONE log at a time? Then repeat this until the tree is gone yielding 24 logs. It would help discourage clear cutting, and provide level gains for us loggers without clearing the forest just to gain skill. It could take 20 seconds per log, that's 3 logs per minute (at best) and 8 minutes to chop down a large Fir tree or one minute for an small Aspen tree. Currently it takes an average 15 trees for one skill up, which could be achieved by cutting an average 2-3 trees into individual logs rather than 15 trees. It would take more work to level but use much less resources. The suggestions I have seen of chopping large logs into small logs then into firewood still serves only to clear cut everything into firewood leaving no resources behind other than firewood. Feedback welcome :)

meissner61
06-30-2011, 10:09 PM
there will be a general tree respawn at some point.. PLUS you will eventually be able to plant your own trees

VeryWiiTee
06-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Uhm, I don't see a major deforestation problem as there were after the launch.

I suspect it takes in general takes 3-6 chops (chopping the tree down, chopping iinto logs both counts). So it won't exactly be 'easy' to level.

Willowhawk
06-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Uhm, I don't see a major deforestation problem as there were after the launch.

Well I think that may be because there are very few people playing at this point, and I bet most of the loggers have already leveled there logging. So you wouldn't see as much deforesting, though contrary to what you have observed out in front of our place is quite barren. Now imagine the game with hundreds of active new players. You probably won't see a tree anywhere. Perhaps that is the devs intention, to make trees a rare resource. From the post I read most people don't want that.

All the new logging mechanics (this patch) did was add one more action making it two actions per tree. 1)Felling the tree 2)cutting it into logs).

The point I was making is that it is a bit unrealistic to take four swings and produce 24 logs from a felled tree. It seems more realistic and more practical to me to harvest a tree by felling it, then cutting the tree into logs one log at a time and leveling your logging skill that way rather than just mowing down trees and cutting them into firewood.

Liquidblade
07-01-2011, 05:45 AM
One thing I know for sure...Grayeagle is out there picking up all the cut down trees people leave behind