PDA

View Full Version : To Jordi - Why i hate the new distribution system

mrwooj
07-01-2011, 10:50 AM
I have spent months establishing myself at my totem, building, terraforming, exploring and amassing a hoard of useful items. I was under the impression from day 1 that i would be able to access the items i need to build and create the things i want.

Now the resourses under my feet have been ripped away and replaced with metal sheets, scrap leather and fur. So the area i have chosen to live is useless to me. If i had started the game today, i would have been able to choose what resourses were at my feet and placed a totem with that knowledge in mind.

When they mentioned location specific gathering, i was under the impression that all the normal stuff would be available as usual, but RARE items with special bonuses would be localised.

Trade from zone to zone, whilst rather encumbered is not an option.

I want to see movement from zone to zone and i want there to be a reason to trade, fight and defend resourses but this is rediculous.

It is unfair to now tell me my zone only has crap resourses in the ground after all the effort i have put in to making a place to call home.

I cannot express how dissapointed i am with this. This has really destroyed my feeling for the game right now. I do not want to have to spend countless hours travelling just to collect basic items that we have taken for granted as being under our feet.

And soon there will be death penalties, so there wont be the option of cliffjumping to get home.

I need to say these next few paragraphs for the good of this game and i do not mean any disrespect to Jordi or the Devs, but i just need to be honest here......

Jordi and the devs - do you actually play your own game? Are you blindly making decisions based on what you THINK might be cool? I am now wondering if you understand the mechanics of your own game from a "playing and enjoying the game" perspective.

I strongly urge you to take a step back, spend some time playing your own game and understand what it is to be a player of the game. It seems pretty obvious to me that you have not played your own game for some time.

For example - why introduce the combat system before there is a reason to fight players or creatures ingame to fight?

Why introduce such a rediculous resourse distribution system when you have not implemented:

1. faster long distance travel via mounts or something similar
2. a way to carry water
3. a way to move large amounts of items (ie. carts, pack mules or similar)

I hope that you rework this resourse distribution thing soon because i know i will not want to play this game much longer if you are going down this path. It is just too time consuming and absolutely annoying to traverse zone after zone for a small amount of stuff that i could get locally before.

For me, today is a sad day for Xsyon, unfortunately.

NorCalGooey
07-01-2011, 11:20 AM
It's really awful, even 250m away you can't scavenge ANYTHING. 50+ scavenges at 250m away 90 scavenging and 93 perception should give me SOMETHING, even if its a basic item.

Before it was too easy, now FAR too hard. Just needs some balancing.

Keep in mind ofc this was all done on a junkpile

Added after 8 minutes:

This morning I am able to find stuff in the same area. Maybe the resources shift around...although I did seem extremely bugged last night. Maybe that was it. I had to relog to even discover I had learned the gate recipe.

Now have scavenged about 15 times, found items 10 of the time. All I am finding is cloth and junk plastic. They really did remove most resources from most junk piles.

Added after 6 minutes:

Also, I think when it says "Area is devoid of useful items" it means you are too close to boundary.

Dubanka
07-01-2011, 11:29 AM
common items (stone, wood, plastic, leather, metal) = prelude zones

rare items (rare stone, rare wood, rare plastic, rear leather, rare metal) = expansion zones

common item distribution (different wood types, different stone types) variable, but present throughout all regions...but different in each...assuming each has its own properties.

Rare item distribution varies throughout expansion zones.

scavenging rules - proximity rules in effect in expansion areas. Not in effect in prelude areas (BECAUSE IT IS TOTEM FEST AND THERE IS NO WAY TO REMOVE THEM). proximity rules in effect in expansion areas.

totem placement - anything goes in original prelude areas. Exapansion totems only in expansion areas.

...seems fairly common sensical.

NorCalGooey
07-01-2011, 11:34 AM
doesn't it though Dub?

No new zones without expansion totems. Move rare resources to an area where no safe totems will be within 1000m.

Book
07-01-2011, 11:45 AM
If this is to Jordi, then I'd like to add a little note I've had in the back of my mind for quite some time.

When I look at the developer's bios and experience, I see people who are most likely brilliant at the technical side of creating a game. That's a great thing. Good programmers, mathematicians, artists, all are key.

However, I don't see anyone with much of a cultural or psychological background to handle the softer technicalities of game design. I believe these softer technicalities are equally important to the harder ones.

If the notion is to take a substantial amount of direction and feedback from the playerbase to serve that purpose, I worry about this a great deal. The answer above this one is a perfect example. I bought a game based on your (Jordi) explanation of the game you were going to design. I would not, and will not, buy a game that Dubanka or other more combat-centric players would design. No offense meant, and I'm sure he wouldn't want to play a game I'd design. I buy a game from a company. That company is you. The playerbase is not.

The point is, a number of players wanted more focus on combat and regional resources. That may well have been your plan as you've mentioned conflict over resources which would be difficult without more resource segregation.

BUT, I do not want to risk investing time in a game run by a community of people I would not hire for the job in question. I would like to know that the game's direction is driven by yourself and those you hire with the right competencies and background. Not a hodgepodge of self-proclaimed game designers who, in my opinion, are not qualified.

Thanks for the time and ear(eyes).

Dubanka
07-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Book, I completely agree. I wouldn't buy your game either :p

one issue that has been at the forefront of my brief time in this community has been that the design issues have been very short on specifics. The current implementation is an example of where it seems fairly obvious that the devs are firing from the hip and trying to implement something cool and necessary but really haven't looked at it from a gamers point of view...

Lets just look at the design from a functional standpoint.

1. Build up a homestead/tribal area. A new player is goingto plant a totem pretty close to where they pop into the world...they need to get their feet under them, learn mechanics, etc. a new player is NOT going to trek for an hour into the wilderness to plop down their first totem.
Common sense moment: Areas surrounding the lake should have decent levels of basic (non-rare) resources. That there are variations of 'common' resources based upon geography is great...but they should be present nonetheless.
Duh moment: We want the players not to say, 'wtf this is bs' when they realize they can't do/get half the stuff they need to do something. They are new. They aren't going to feel comfortable trading. New players need to be self sufficient at a basic level.

2. Resource : Totem proximity. This is a great concept for competetive areas. This is a great concept for determine tribal influence. THis is horrible implementation for areas that are, or have the capeability to be, populated heavily by totems....horrible implimentation simply because much of the current prelude land is bumper to bumper totems...so by coding it in the manner that was, a huge portion of land is now wasteland/devoid of resource...this would be a '..have you actually played your game?' moment.

3. Rare resource implementation. Because of 1 and 2 being so borked, i can't really comment here, and this gets my opinion pretty pvp/conflict centric and thus heavily divisive in this community...so i will refrain :p

4. Introduction of more land area without co introduction of either satellite totems or 'freight'....so...we're supposed to run for an hour, not get killed, scavenge etc, and suicide/run back, wash rinse repeat? or we're supposed to abandon the areas we've been building up for the past several months? I'm really kind of scratching my head at this one. Why would we increase land mass without introducing some form of expansion totem of travel ability to deal with the extra distance? THis is a 'duh' moment.

see book? design issues with no mention of pvp centricism :p

Xsyon
07-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Also, I think when it says "Area is devoid of useful items" it means you are too close to boundary.

Are you on the edge of the green mist? This message should show up only in green mist areas that haven't been assigned resources yet. Please report what territory you are in as we need to add resources to these border areas as we finish the distribution map.

There are rare and useful resources in every area now, they are just distributed by type and the most apparent thing reading this is that the scavenging chances for rare items need to be adjusted. Thanks for all the feedback.

MrDDT
07-01-2011, 03:32 PM
New system is bad, because it wasnt tested, balanced, and all the other reasons in this thread.
Still waiting for a reason to use any of these items in game over another item in game. Right now I can make every item in the game, and I cant trade anything because NOTHING is of value because no one needs anything nor wants anything.

I kill ALL animals in 1 hit now. (Thanks new patch for making me even more OP) (Also holding attacks does 0 extra damage)
AI is retarded at best.
Resources and items have no value because, they are rare but who cares, why would I want this rare over another rare? All Im doing is grinding skills for no reason or making pretty buildings for no reason.

NorCalGooey
07-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Are you on the edge of the green mist? This message should show up only in green mist areas that haven't been assigned resources yet. Please report what territory you are in as we need to add resources to these border areas as we finish the distribution map.

There are rare and useful resources in every area now, they are just distributed by type and the most apparent thing reading this is that the scavenging chances for rare items need to be adjusted. Thanks for all the feedback.

Yes, zone 904 is myzone. I was scavenging in the zone just South, 864. Some of our boundary is completely covered in green. Where I was scavenging was the junkpile south in 864, not covered in green, but within 500m of the green.

VeryWiiTee
07-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Sometimes Dev should just leave a game as it is and STOP LISTENING TO PEOPLE..
Jesus freaking christ. Too many resources.. To Few resources.. before this patch there were too many resources now they are too hard to get..

I mean what kind of players are you..? Whiners? I agree the system is bugged but seriously going berserk when YOU want changes.. Is lame..

It requires a balance. The system in it self is okay, it is just a bit aggressive.

MrDDT
07-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Sometimes Dev should just leave a game as it is and STOP LISTENING TO PEOPLE..
Jesus freaking christ. Too many resources.. To Few resources.. before this patch there were too many resources now they are too hard to get..

I mean what kind of players are you..? Whiners? I agree the system is bugged but seriously going berserk when YOU want changes.. Is lame..

It requires a balance. The system in it self is okay, it is just a bit aggressive.

Which resources are hard to get now? Im sorry I missed that part.

Resources are still easy as hell to get.

VeryWiiTee
07-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Well if you want rare you got to travel.
I'd like to get rare so I travel, that seemed to be the problem in the OP's posting. Which it is.

He is pissed that a fix everyone (at least a lot) wanted didn't turn out in his favour. I was never under the impression of new actual resource areas would be added. I was under the impression it would be an addition to the current resource areas.

I agree that the new system might be a bit harsh, I think a check should be put on foreign tribes areas so that their influence is minor on what you can find so that the longer away from your own tribe area will in general increase the chance of finding rares without other tribe areas affecting it that much.

MrDDT
07-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Maybe Im just not seeing it. But I have no problems building anything I want, nor crafting anything I want from 1 or 2 zones. (Only 1 or 2 zones because of animals are sometimes not re-spawning in mine.)
Not counting metal sheets as I believe they have been removed from the game.

Ive yet to not find something I was looking for or needed. I have all the basic resources. Problem is I have no reason to leave, nor do I have a reason to make anything better. In fact it is better off to make the easiest thing over and over and over and over and over to gain skills.
Other than skills I see no reason right now to make anything. Comfort isnt working. Buildings do nothing. Armor is not needed as things are super easy to kill.

Ive just lost all drive to play, as this new change clearly did nothing to promote trade. The bonuses they added for the items are worthless at best if they are even working. Who knows, cant really test them correctly.

This patch to me seems just lacking in testing, and forethought.

Larsa
07-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Might be I don't understand the new system, please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I can see scavenging now has practically no effect: everything I can get from scavening I can get from pulling things out of a junkpile (with the exception of pennies, dollar bills, beer tabs, etc.).

I spent a long play session now scavenging all over zone 777, on 3 different junkpiles (all of them outside my tribe land, 2 of them outside of any tribe land) and have scavenged outside of junkpiles as well. Apart from boatloads of pennies, quarters, dollar bills and the like I can only scavenge items that I can also pull out of a junkpile: cloth, leather, screws, nails, bolts, rivets.

Question thus: what is scavenging good for now? :)

Edit: typo

MrDDT
07-02-2011, 01:55 PM
First Scav effects the QL of the items you pull out of junk.

Second is you cant pull recipes and other things like that out of junk.

Larsa
07-02-2011, 02:10 PM
... Second is you cant pull recipes and other things like that out of junk.But I cannot get recipes and other things through scavenging too. Currently, for me, after at least a few hundred scavenging actions, scavenging only returns pennies, quarters, dollars, etc. and apart from that scavenging returns the exact same things one gets from a junkpile.

No bone, no blade, no recipe, no bat, not even a freaking 5-pound weight can be got by scavenging in zone 777.

NorCalGooey
07-02-2011, 02:18 PM
How could it be possibly someone can confirm ALREADY that you can't pull recipes from junk piles? How would you know that? If there is no proof it is fact, don't state it as such.

MrDDT
07-02-2011, 02:40 PM
But I cannot get recipes and other things through scavenging too. Currently, for me, after at least a few hundred scavenging actions, scavenging only returns pennies, quarters, dollars, etc. and apart from that scavenging returns the exact same things one gets from a junkpile.

No bone, no blade, no recipe, no bat, not even a freaking 5-pound weight can be got by scavenging in zone 777.

You can they are just rare now.
I know you can get bones, recipes, and weights from scaving they are just rare.

How could it be possibly someone can confirm ALREADY that you can't pull recipes from junk piles? How would you know that? If there is no proof it is fact, don't state it as such.

You are correct. Maybe they are just super super super rare.

Larsa
07-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Well, when someone with scavenging skill 100 (perception:70) after 10 hours or so of scavenging hasn't scavenged one single item that he can't get easier from a junkpile ...

Not a feather, not a bat, no metal buckle, no decoration, no rubber scrap, just nothing. I can't believe all items to be super, duper rare.

MrDDT
07-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Well, when someone with scavenging skill 100 (perception:70) after 10 hours or so of scavenging hasn't scavenged one single item that he can't get easier from a junkpile ...

Not a feather, not a bat, no metal buckle, no decoration, no rubber scrap, just nothing. I can't believe all items to be super, duper rare.

You can get metal buckles from sorting =P

But yes I know what you mean.

thurgond
07-02-2011, 03:52 PM
From my experience after a couple days of scavenging, it seems that the former residents of Tahoe have changed from a bunch of jocks that liked to swing weighted bats and toss their old bones out, to a bunch of intellectuals who collected leather bound books and had lots of clothes.

I have found one bone crafting recipe, so they are rare but there.

I haven't scavenged any weapons parts, feathers, decorations, etc. I think that non-rare item tables are messed up. The cloth, leather, screws/nails/rivets/bolts, spikes/small sheets/rods and cash/buttons/beer tabs are showing up too frequently and preventing feathers, weapons parts, bones, and buckles/decorations/rubber scrap from appearing.

The new rare items that I have found or heard of fall under metal/plastic boards/sheets/pipes/poles. People wanted distributed rare items to encourage trade, but there are two big problems with this:

1. These items are too heavy to trade. One or two of these items will put you over your max encumbrance.
2. There are no known recipes that use these items.

Ravelli

Xsyon
07-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Clearly scavenging was made too difficult. Scavenging should turn up a lot of items that can't be found through sorting. We are adjusting the percentages to find uncommon and rare items.

Thanks for the feedback on this. Remember, I see this as 'our' game, so I am listening.

robofriven
07-02-2011, 07:33 PM
I went 2 zones to the north of my tribe land and scavenged a bit 2 days ago. I have 100 scavenging and 62 perception. I found a boatload of different kinds of rivets (all with bonuses attached) a lot of cloth, a couple of the small metal blocks and probably destroyed at least 5 feathers and a bunch of other stuff. This is from less then an hour of scavenging.

I'm thinking that when they say that you find more rare things when further away from safe zones they're talking about further away from YOUR safe zone. (I was actually scavenging next to 2 different tribes). I'm generally not that lucky of a person so I don't think that's the reason, try travelling a bit and see what you find.

Edited after a couple minutes:

Yeah, just confirmed what I was thinking. After a quick once around of my "home junk pile" I managed to get nothing other then some plastic, bottle caps, leather scraps, yada yada yada. So you gotta move to get the good stuff, which is what a lot of people were asking for, will encourage trade (people wanting to dump off the insanely heavy plastic boards or whatever those things were were 2 almost fully encumbered me) and make people move around so that they're there for "raiders" to kill them. Risk and reward, I kinda like the system, though it probably needs tweaking a little. As far as it not being tested, well we're testing it now. Maybe some day there will be a large enough player base to actually test things on the test server, but I can't blame the devs for that. *shrug*

NorCalGooey
07-02-2011, 09:49 PM
You are correct. Maybe they are just super super super rare.

I thought you meant you couldn't scavenge recipes on a junk pile. I didn't know you were talking about sorting possibly, cloth metal leather or plastic to get a recipe...of course that doesn't work.

Clearly scavenging was made too difficult. Scavenging should turn up a lot of items that can't be found through sorting. We are adjusting the percentages to find uncommon and rare items.

Thanks for the feedback on this. Remember, I see this as 'our' game, so I am listening.

I just think you need to make the items you get from sorting harvested scrap the only way you can get those items, not from scavenging too. IMO scavenging should be one of those things where we might find something 1 in every 10 or 20 scavenges, but it will be a nice something :D 1000+ scavenges for the rarest (depending on your luck of course, which is affected by charm?)

Semi rares, rares, and ultra rares ONLY from scavenging and rare spawns from basic resources. Also, you could add ultra rares to an evil apocalyptic monster that can eat 5 MrDDTs at once (meaning more than five nearly maxed out characters to kill the monster).

By rare spawns I mean when you are harvesting granite, you will get Obsidian or flint. Maybe you could also add "rare scrap" to harvesting scrap piles. Rarely, more than just the basic scraps will appear in the resource tab.

Also, on an unrelated to resource distribution note, nerf MrDDT. He shouldn't be able to 3 hit someone who is level 40 and has 200 total combat skill points while wearing full bone armor (moderate/high quality mix...I'm guessing full supreme bone MIGHT absorb ONE more hit). Perhaps you may have to lower the HP and damage modifiers at higher combat and overall level. Meaning a softcap so to speak, where you have to work progressively harder (already in place) to gain a progressively smaller benefit, the higher you go up (I think now you earn a greater benefit for each level in combat, meaning more damage modifier). It will still be worth it to those who specialize in pure combat, maybe not so worth it to others.

Even if he is at 90+ axes and armed, that's still too much. I don't mind him 1 shotting a noob who is level 1 and naked, but even a noob shouldn't get 1 hit while wearing full bone armor (say a tribe mate made it for him).

Book
07-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Something definitely doesn't seem right.

I've been scavenging on the absolutely opposite side of the map from where I live. Can't get much further from my own totem. Been trying to get away from other totems as well, but obviously that's rather challenging in the prelude areas.
My scav skill is at 84, which granted isn't 100, but still shouldn't be TOO shabby.

So far, mostly found various forms of currency. A few cloth scraps once in a while. Random leather. I did find 3 feathers and 1 pitbull bone but that wasn't even from today.

I'm scavenging both on junk piles and off junk piles. Best things I've found so far are nails, bolts and screws. That's about it.

Edit: just checked, scav is at 86 now actually, so this is after scavenging enough to go from 84 to 86...

jefferysauto
07-02-2011, 11:36 PM

Ya guys he is not like other company's where they ignore you so chill a bit. I have faith this game will be what we all want it to be, just have some faith and stop freaking out, I have seen recipes, also some other stuff away from my totem near the mist. It seems to be very rare , I think some of this stuff should of been more rare from day 1, but thats the past, I would turn some stuff up a tad as he said he was doing and test it again and see what happens.

Book
07-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Ya guys he is not like other company's where they ignore you so chill a bit. I have faith this game will be what we all want it to be, just have some faith and stop freaking out, I have seen recipes, also some other stuff away from my totem near the mist. It seems to be very rare , I think some of this stuff should of been more rare from day 1, but thats the past, I would turn some stuff up a tad as he said he was doing and test it again and see what happens.

Yup, agreed :) and chillin' :)

Just figured I'd pipe in but I have no doubt it'll all be fixed up right.

Larsa
07-03-2011, 02:36 AM

Thanks for the feedback on this. Remember, I see this as 'our' game, so I am listening.Thanks.

There's another thing with respect to resource distribution that I'm wondering about: the new player experience. We're testing all this stuff now with relative developed characters and don't really know how a brand new character would do. Anyone looking at this from a new player point of view?

I'd be willing to start a new character to give it a try but I'm not willing to delete Vito for that, hehe. :)

Rudder
07-03-2011, 05:07 AM
I found 2 large plastic blocks while foraging in grass in another zone north of my tribal area; I found a Medium Metal Board a few hundred M away from tribal area in a Junk Pile. High Perception does help with finding rare materials. The way you set up your character DOES MATTER in this game. If you decided you wanted high strength and the like for a pvp build - well guess what - you will have a very hard time crafting and/or scavenging and foraging.

Larsa
07-03-2011, 06:15 AM
I found 2 large plastic blocks while foraging in grass in another zone north of my tribal area; I found a Medium Metal Board a few hundred M away from tribal area in a Junk Pile. High Perception does help with finding rare materials. The way you set up your character DOES MATTER in this game. If you decided you wanted high strength and the like for a pvp build - well guess what - you will have a very hard time crafting and/or scavenging and foraging.How high is your scavenging skill and your perception, Rudder?

As said, my scavenging is 100 and perception is 70 and I haven't found a single "non-sortable item" in a few hundred scavenging attempts.

Here are my stats, starting values in ():
Strength 57 (60)
Fortitude 60 (60)
Agility 60 (60)
Dexterity 67 (65)
Intelligence 68 (65)
Perception 70 (65)
Charm 59 (60)
Spirit 65 (65)

VeryWiiTee
07-03-2011, 07:56 AM
From my experience after a couple days of scavenging, it seems that the former residents of Tahoe have changed from a bunch of jocks that liked to swing weighted bats and toss their old bones out, to a bunch of intellectuals who collected leather bound books and had lots of clothes.

I have found one bone crafting recipe, so they are rare but there.

I haven't scavenged any weapons parts, feathers, decorations, etc. I think that non-rare item tables are messed up. The cloth, leather, screws/nails/rivets/bolts, spikes/small sheets/rods and cash/buttons/beer tabs are showing up too frequently and preventing feathers, weapons parts, bones, and buckles/decorations/rubber scrap from appearing.

The new rare items that I have found or heard of fall under metal/plastic boards/sheets/pipes/poles. People wanted distributed rare items to encourage trade, but there are two big problems with this:

1. These items are too heavy to trade. One or two of these items will put you over your max encumbrance.
2. There are no known recipes that use these items.

Ravelli

Ravelli.. Rare items fall under the same category as their normal counter part and can be used in any kind of crafting taht use their normal counter part. You don't -need- new recipes.

I got
Strength 79/79
Fortitude 75/75
Agility 80/80
Dexterity 30/30
Intelligence 80/80
Perception 75/75
Charm 10/10
Spirit 70/70
46 Scavenge.

I'm not finding a lot of rares (but I haven't ventured that much away from my safe area) I can say that I'm still getting the same amount of scavenged stuff per interval as usual. It's just different items I scavenge now.

Rudder
07-03-2011, 08:42 AM
How high is your scavenging skill and your perception, Rudder?

Scavenging and Foraging have been stuck on 99 each for almost the last month. I have seen more than one skill up message for both of these skills so I may be bugged.

Here are my stats, starting values in ():
Strength 49 (50)
Fortitude 50 (50)
Agility 49 (50)
Dexterity 94 (90)
Intelligence 91 (90)
Perception 94 (90)
Charm 39 (40)
Spirit 39 (40)

I'm starting to think if you see the no usable items message then stats or skills are too low.

In 1020 I have seen spikes, screws, and rivets common and rare. 2 metal items - boards and studs. 1 Arch recipe - Scrappers Concrete Porch - but this recipe does not appear in my arch recipe list. It appears plastic blocks can be scavenged on top of mountains.

dezgard
07-03-2011, 08:57 AM
"no usable items message" mean no loot table has been mapped yet at that location.

Rudder
07-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Could we get the single plastic pieces dropped from the loot tables? These single plastic pieces are already harvested as scrap in Junk Piles.

Larsa
07-03-2011, 09:58 AM
... In 1020 I have seen spikes, screws, and rivets common and rare. ...Thanks for the answer, Rudder.

What are common and rare spikes, screws, rivets, nails, bolts? I've got aluminum, brass, bronze, chrome, iron, silver, stainless, steel, titanium versions of those both through scavenging and pulling junk (sorting). Are those "common" or "rare"? :)

Since all of them can be got by pulling junk I tend to think they're common.

NorCalGooey
07-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the answer, Rudder.

What are common and rare spikes, screws, rivets, nails, bolts? I've got aluminum, brass, bronze, chrome, iron, silver, stainless, steel, titanium versions of those both through scavenging and pulling junk (sorting). Are those "common" or "rare"? :)

Agreed, they don't seem to rare. Harvested scrap and scavenging items and resources need to be mostly independent from each other. I posted this yesterday:

I just think you need to make the items you get from sorting harvested scrap the only way you can get those items, not from scavenging too. IMO scavenging should be one of those things where we might find something 1 in every 10 or 20 scavenges, but it will be a nice something 1000+ scavenges for the rarest (depending on your luck of course, which is affected by charm?)

Semi rares, rares, and ultra rares ONLY from scavenging and rare spawns from basic resources. Also, you could add ultra rares to an evil apocalyptic monster that can eat 5 MrDDTs at once (meaning more than five nearly maxed out characters to kill the monster).

By rare spawns I mean when you are harvesting granite, you will get Obsidian or flint. Maybe you could also add "rare scrap" to harvesting scrap piles. Rarely, more than just the basic scraps will appear in the resource tab.

MrDDT
07-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the answer, Rudder.

Chrome, and Titanium are "rare". Just FYI. So yes you gain them through junk, and scav. However, you will get crap from junk if your scav is crap.

The act of scav also yield other items, like recipes and stuff. While sorting junk will not.

Right now scav is way too good and required for ALL PLAYERS (Even PVPers).

Larsa
07-04-2011, 05:05 AM
Doh, I just scavenged 3 Douglas Squirrel small bones. :)

fatboy21007
07-04-2011, 09:23 PM
i vote bring back the old system just make rare items more tougher to find. and make a few armor/weapon and tool sets (like say supreme) require these rare resources to encourage trade, the current system ya cant scavange, cant do d much with architecture and well the new system flat out is horrible. was a great though but when u cant carry heavy items home due to no carts u just turn wat would have taken a few hours into a few months of back and forth on the map just to make a few items and thats IF you can find them. That doesnt encourage trade or anything else but angry players :-(

Rudder
07-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Take the taxi home OR do as I do and carry the stuff home. I usually put baskets along my route so the stronger members of my tribe can get the stuff for me when they come online.

There is nothing wrong with the scavenging system Stats Matter in this game - if you didn't choose to select higher perception or intelligence then of course you will have problems.

thurgond
07-05-2011, 08:49 AM
GreyEagle, have you actually found any of the new rare stuff?

For example, take my first find--6 master quality stainless steel long metal boards. It doesn't take many of these to put you over your encumbrance, even with a high strength. So I dragged these home and they can be used to impart a speed bonus to (wait for it) a building. If I use these rare puppies to make a tepee, it better look like Geronimo's Delorian.

To take the death taxi, you have to:
1) find a willing player or bear, and
2) do it before the death penalty.

As you say, stats matter, and if you loose stats on death the nearly all trades will not be worth the death taxi fare.

With the current scavenging tables, the rare items will become the things that can't be found now--feathers, old saws, knife blades, etc. Since these can't be replenished, no one will be willing to part with them, so no trade.

Ravelli

NorCalGooey
07-05-2011, 10:43 AM
+agil bonus after resting in that building for a certain amount of time. that's about all I see they can do with a +agi building

Rudder
07-05-2011, 12:14 PM
I found 2 large plastic blocks on top of a mountain in a branch area in 1020. Also in 1020 I found 1 arch recipe - Scrappers Concrete Porch; 2 small metal studs; 5 medium metal boards; in 1060 I found 2 medium plastic handles.

Others in Legion have also been finding the various metal parts in 1020. Others have also found the plastic parts on top of mountains in grass or branch/twig area's.

I wish I wasn't able to find feathers - I'm getting tired of deleting them since we has far too many stored now. Found an old saw blade yesterday.

VeryWiiTee
07-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Death cab hasn't been ruled out just because you die.
I hardly doubt you will see permanent effects from death until Permanent Death is implemented.
It is more likely some weakness like, running speed reduced etc. Or we will get in trouble with the current stat gain system (dying a few times with permanent stat loss, not capable of gaining them back unless you are playing 12hrs a day for several months).

The items are divided into:
Common, Uncommon, Rare.
Common has no stats, uncommon has some stats and rares will probably have quite a lot of stats or even better stats then the uncommon ones.

Again, if you don't want to travel great distances don't and just trade with people. That was the idea of the new system of course there are bugs and balances required, but that'll come as we go along.
Stop the whining and start interacting.. Much easier.

Anyone got Large Metal Plates (Dying to get my hands on some!)