PDA

View Full Version : Feedback Request: Test Server Desynch

Xsyon
07-05-2011, 05:17 PM
We are testing the synchronization and interpolation of movement between players on the Test Server. We've been testing and the 'teleporting' issue looks completely resolved. Animals still slide a bit, but their movement is correct. We just need to synchronize creature animations better.

Please report any feedback on this here. It looks good to our test team and this should make combat a lot better.

MrDDT
07-05-2011, 06:13 PM
I was on it for about 5 mins. Now it wont allow me to log in, no error given.

Now says server is offline.

I hope you are putting global chat back on it.

NorCalGooey
07-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Global chat and guides to port us near players is necessary for this kind of testing

I guess let us know when the test server is up

Xsyon
07-05-2011, 06:42 PM
The test server will be up and down for about 1 hour while I run some tests. I will post when it's back up for good.

MrDDT
07-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Testing desync, its much much easier to hit people. However, on the other screen it looks like they shouldnt hit. Meaning Im behind the target, and they are hitting me.
Or Im hitting them, and on their screen they are behind me, or far away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9RJg0p2RjY

Video is a small test.

Drevar
07-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Last night we did some testing (just before that big crash) and I noticed the position updates and prediction were much smoother with no teleporting around. In most cases both NPCs and PCs were skipping the run/walk animations. The run/walk state isn't being updated with position or may be foregone when the animation queue simply can't keep up. (is this process on its own cpu thread?) True position is much more important than looking pretty, but if still needs to look decent more than 20% of the time :) This could be a very big function of local machine specs, but we could also have some control over animation LOD to try and mitigate that.

In combat every swing seemed to be timed correctly as well as hits. I was mostly watching others, so was unable to tell if hits from behind were actually from the front or side, etc. Would help to have some sort of hit indication (blood splash or red flash on the mesh segment that took the hit, etc) so we can match up swings with hits.

MrDDT
07-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Can we also greatly slow the swing speed down while we are at it?
How are you going to block something in .2 seconds?

Xsyon
07-06-2011, 02:24 PM
We're working on synchronizing animations better with the improved positioning (posititioning was most important to fix). For now we've taken down the test server.

Thanks for the tests!

NorCalGooey
07-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Can we also greatly slow the swing speed down while we are at it?
How are you going to block something in .2 seconds?

This is true. Much slower.

But first, we need blocking to work period. Right now it doesn't stop any damage.

MrDDT
07-06-2011, 05:37 PM
This is true. Much slower.

But first, we need blocking to work period. Right now it doesn't stop any damage.

I think first you need both to work =P

Plus dodge DOES work, its just badly done, slow down the attacks, also make dodge do something more than lend back. Maybe like jump back a step. DODGE, PARRY, and ATTACKS should take energy PER USE.

NorCalGooey
07-06-2011, 05:45 PM
If attacking took energy per use we would run out extremely quickly. Because even now we already do. I agree it should, but if they add that we should get some more stamina. So it doesn't take 30 seconds of strafing and 10 swings to get below half stam

MrDDT
07-06-2011, 05:48 PM
If attacking took energy per use we would run out extremely quickly. Because even now we already do. I agree it should, but if they add that we should get some more stamina. So it doesn't take 30 seconds of strafing and 10 swings to get below half stam

Thats because you spam click instead of aim your attacks. Instead of spam clicking jumping sprinting and crap, you would aim, and conserve your attacks, you would also regulate your movements, instead of running around like a cracked out fiend.

VeryWiiTee
07-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Thats because you spam click instead of aim your attacks. Instead of spam clicking jumping sprinting and crap, you would aim, and conserve your attacks, you would also regulate your movements, instead of running around like a cracked out fiend.

I agree with this. It would add a lot more tactic to the current combat system instead of a spam/strafe fest.