PDA

View Full Version : players returning

Liquidblade
08-15-2011, 09:12 PM
I see that population is slowly increasing again.......Get the word out people...post it on the big gaming sites....game is getting better...two steps forward, one step back, but its moving in the right direction.

MrDDT
08-16-2011, 06:04 AM
After this last combat patch, I dont see this to be the case.

I still wouldnt tell my friends to play this until I see more of "reasons" to do things. Instead of Xsyon SIM.

Liquidblade
08-16-2011, 07:09 AM
that being you MrDDt. BUt I still enjoy the game...and my point is that we are seeing more people on a daily basis, that means more people for you to do you bids (pvp) on. try keep the game going.

Mactavendish
08-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Liquid is right.

There are more players trying the game out. I have been steady in adding new members to Pawnee each week.

The real challenge atm is having enough going on in the game to keep them around. Building holds most of our members attention, but not all.

The combat changes while an improvement in actions, have made some things kinda silly. As long as I face another player they will not be killing me any time soon. It went from too easy, to way to hard. On the other hand bears getting to be hard seems spot on as no human is going to win against a bear in hand to hand combat without a lot of damage. Even a bear cub could kill a human in RL so why not here?

I believe like you, that they are making progress. If more content like roaming mutants or zombies make it in game along with reasons to do what we do, then I feel strongly that those that do try xsyon will stick around and we will get onto the road to recovery.

So, YES let us all spread the word. But make sure those that join realize its is a work in progress that they can help shape.. but they need to stay around to help shape it.

MrDDT
08-17-2011, 05:59 AM
Mac the problem has always been keeping players not finding or "adding" new ones. Hasnt it? I mean at release we had WAY more people active than now and they left.

Combat for bears is a joke. I still kill bears with my fists easy, problem is it takes about 3mins to kill 1 bear, and they dont even come close to killing me. I would have to be AFK for like 10mins for them to kill me.

You can spread the word all you want, Im not going to stop you. I will say I dont think you are doing ANYONE any favors in trying to get them to play right now in this current state. The game is boring, and broken in many many ways.

Xsyon will be a great game one day, and Im here to help and follow it. But right now isnt a great time for players. But hey, what do I know Im sure there are about 50 to 100 people that love this game and will be here for a few more weeks saying now much they love it. Then in a month you wont see them again.

Mactavendish
08-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Well then... according to the numbers you claim are left playing you are predicting that in 2 -3 weeks ALL players will be gone, and we both know that is just not true at all.

Remember: just because YOU find xsyon boring does not mean everyone does.

At this point in the games history you are actually way out numbered by players that enjoy what the game currently has. Yes. Some of these same players love pvp and are looking forward to having more players to pvp with, BUT they are having fun with building and setting up for what will happen next.

It sound like you do not believe they will keep making progress, or maybe it is you don't like the direction the game is going.

The owner and developer of the game wants both pvp and non-pvp to be able to play here and have fun. Those that thought it was going to be all ffa pvp all the time have indeed left because that is NOT what they are doing here.

So not sure what to say to you.

Willowhawk
08-17-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm still having loads of fun after three months, and so is Riverspirit and Gynn. We even recruited a couple new players this week and we were not even trying lol. The truth is I have played everything from Vanguard, AOC, Vindictus, WOW, LOTR and more over the past few years and I generally make it about two months with any one of these games before I get bored and switch to the next one. Rinse and repeat to keep from dying of burn out. Now I've been playing Xsyon for the past three months and I'm not planning on going anywhere. Still having fun! So it really is a personal preference and clearly we are not the only ones who finds this game very enjoyable. So I agree that things seem to be moving along quite well for a small development team and though the game will not suit everyone's needs, it definitely works for us and people of like mind. And most people who leave say they are returning when more content is in. So even if we invite new people now and they take a break (Like I do with EVERY other game) they will be back. And that makes them all potential future Xsyon gamers. Nothing wrong with that. :cool:
"some people will always see the glass half empty"

MrDDT
08-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Well then... according to the numbers you claim are left playing you are predicting that in 2 -3 weeks ALL players will be gone, and we both know that is just not true at all.

Remember: just because YOU find xsyon boring does not mean everyone does.

At this point in the games history you are actually way out numbered by players that enjoy what the game currently has. Yes. Some of these same players love pvp and are looking forward to having more players to pvp with, BUT they are having fun with building and setting up for what will happen next.

It sound like you do not believe they will keep making progress, or maybe it is you don't like the direction the game is going.

The owner and developer of the game wants both pvp and non-pvp to be able to play here and have fun. Those that thought it was going to be all ffa pvp all the time have indeed left because that is NOT what they are doing here.

So not sure what to say to you.

It is FFA PVP all the time. Havnt you been playing the game?

I have no idea how you think that all the players will be gone in 2 - 3 weeks by what I said. I said that the problem has ALWAYS been keeping new players, not adding new players. New players have been buying the game the whole time, but they leave not long after.

History is on my side here, history in this game has shown that more players USED to play the game but quit than ones currently playing and having fun.

I dont understand how you think I dont believe the game will keep making progress. I even said in the post I think Xsyon will be a great game one day. To get to be great it would need to make progress to do that.

Im sure there are people playing that are having fun, Im also very sure there are MORE people that left the game because they are NOT having fun than ones HAVING fun.

Liquidblade
08-18-2011, 04:47 AM
You are correct MrDDT. People are always buying and trying, but more are staying this last weeks. They should add in the login window a "There currently are 59 players online"

virror
08-18-2011, 05:22 AM
I have also seen a big increase in the amount of ppl in the forums, not alot more posters, but ppl hanging in the forum.

Mactavendish
08-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Agreed Virror and Liquid.. seen the same myself.

I play everyday and have seen more sticking around and even old players popping back in.

What we need ( in my opinion ) is more things to retain those that try.

Yes, Jordi has said xsyon is not ready for an ad blitz, but to me the more that play and stick around to give feedback to help shape the game, the faster fun things can be chosen to add in.

Combat changes has not retained new players, it anything it has driven many away ... "it takes HOW long to kill a bear?? forget this"

New arch recipes has indeed helped retain the builder type players. But many are now close to or at lvl 100 skill and cannot learn new recipes. Without the ability to scav more or at the very least unlearn a few to have the ability to learn new ones, even the dedicated builders will burn out.

To me it is very obvious that MOST players have little patience. It is odd though that they would play a game that is purposefully designed to not hold your hand and take a long time to get things done. BUT... that's how it is.

I believe that the increase of forum lurkers is players hoping to see that they have patched in mutant bears and zombie.

caldrin
08-19-2011, 01:02 AM
Been checkingg up on this now and then to see how its coming along, looks like its slow progress might pop back soon to check things out.

Reason I left in the first place was because at launch the zone my clan placed our totem in was broke and no one could get more than 2-5 fps even with the settings right down.. by the time they fixed the issue about a month into the gam all my clan had quit jsut leaving me... after a while i realised clicking a button every few seconds to collect stuff was actually really really boring so i quit as well..

So when the new combat system is up and running correctly ill come back to check things out :) and maybe ill be able to persuade some of my clan mates back as well lol

Liquidblade
08-19-2011, 04:09 AM
well Im glad that you dont have to get on your hands and knees to get our food today, that would be really boring!!! good thing some of us don't mind gathering your food, otherwise you would starve!! joking!!

Monfols
08-20-2011, 12:19 PM
interesting

AlexTaldren
08-24-2011, 11:59 AM
interesting

Uh oh. It's the ToM.

I've been playing steadily for the last few weeks after a long 2-month leave. The new architecture recipes keep me interested, but like a fool I was such a high level before I left that learning the new ones is nearly impossible...

Mactavendish
08-24-2011, 01:24 PM
you could always re-roll :)

Willowhawk
08-24-2011, 02:18 PM
I was such a high level before I left that learning the new ones is nearly impossible...

Recipes are dropping though they are very rare. You should be able to learn some new Architecture but it may take some time to find or buy from other players.

Mhodi
10-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Well I just checked... my paypal account has made a total of $99.95 in total payments to Notorious Games.

I have been paying continously since I purchased the game. I know its an Indie developer and I view my subscription as a gesture of good will with the hope that the game would become more fun over time...I have reserved comments about the game because I don't feel complaining about it right out of the gate is giving it a fair shake at all.

The state of the game is improving, however I cannot reasonably justify continuing payment for Xsyon. the regular disconnects I encounter, the horrible progression path, the clearly unbalanced professions for starting characters, the lack of any worthwhile method to transport more than a backpacks worth of goods any respectable distance, the constantly in development combat system that seems to hinder gameplay more than make it fun, the non-intuitive GUI (using right click to perform actions instead of a left click? huh?) just make this game more laborious than it has a right to be.

I am familiar with sandbox games. I play a number of them (Eve, Dawntide and Wurm have been my recent active sandboxes) I realise that feeling of completion is the reward I get from doing things. I am that kind of player. But the issues above, coupled with strangely itemized droprates of various recipes and materials make this game a very slow and overly laborious game.

Some of the things I have seen people put together in this game are wonderful, but the lack of even the most rudimentary form of bulk conveyance is sorely missing from this game. the Indian theme is great... but why haven't you introduced even a simple Travois that would allow people to carry more than what they can fit on their back?

Combat is important... but basic living necessities are more important for the fundamental baseline of any sandbox game. Farming and cooking should be priorities over combat. containers that can carry water should be high on your list for inclusion. catching fish is great. but I should have to cook it and I should be able to find an old jar or canteen or something along those lines in the huge rubble fields that would allow me to carry some water along with me. If I can't carry food and water along with me... why in the heck would I ever want to travel someplace else and fight others or go hunting... Hunting... yet another way to get meat that isn't used.

and why in the heck should I have to sit for 10 or 15 actions next to a river or the lake to get water? why would I ever think that taking a drink of water from the lake if I am parched, would require me to constantly tell myself to drink drink drink drink... that kind of repetition is a less than realistic implementation.

If you feel that 10 actions to fill your thirst bar is correct, then, why can't I queue up a few of those actions?

I am sure each of these questions has already be asked... I find it odd that the Development staff hasn't attempted to remedy these types of serious issues to make the game more palatable to its players.

Im sorry but this game has too many fundamental issues that need to be fixed prior to me ever recommending others to come play... 100 bucks later, and I find the game wanting in too many areas to continue.

Xsyon, Good luck I hope your development continues to grow and you are able to remedy these issues soon.. I will continue to check back and watch your progess with interest for the day when you make the game worthy to pay for.

Aramanu
10-06-2011, 03:33 AM
They should never add a "There are so many players online" type stuff because it'll actully make it worse than it already is for getting people to log in, I've seen it happen to other games with low population, what happens is people look at this and decide they won't login until there are so many people online, and thus actully makes it worse. The game i played removed this after a while, infact at one point you could check who was online via the website and well at times it went down to like 10 people online. The funny thing is the game is still up and running to this day after 10years, but no-one plays it anymore apart from a few diehards.

I'm also pretty sure the game will pickup once there's something else to do other than building things.

gegezerg
10-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Well I just checked... my paypal account has made a total of $99.95 in total payments to Notorious Games.

I have been paying continously since I purchased the game. I know its an Indie developer and I view my subscription as a gesture of good will with the hope that the game would become more fun over time...I have reserved comments about the game because I don't feel complaining about it right out of the gate is giving it a fair shake at all.

The state of the game is improving, however I cannot reasonably justify continuing payment for Xsyon. the regular disconnects I encounter, the horrible progression path, the clearly unbalanced professions for starting characters, the lack of any worthwhile method to transport more than a backpacks worth of goods any respectable distance, the constantly in development combat system that seems to hinder gameplay more than make it fun, the non-intuitive GUI (using right click to perform actions instead of a left click? huh?) just make this game more laborious than it has a right to be.

I am familiar with sandbox games. I play a number of them (Eve, Dawntide and Wurm have been my recent active sandboxes) I realise that feeling of completion is the reward I get from doing things. I am that kind of player. But the issues above, coupled with strangely itemized droprates of various recipes and materials make this game a very slow and overly laborious game.

Some of the things I have seen people put together in this game are wonderful, but the lack of even the most rudimentary form of bulk conveyance is sorely missing from this game. the Indian theme is great... but why haven't you introduced even a simple Travois that would allow people to carry more than what they can fit on their back?

Combat is important... but basic living necessities are more important for the fundamental baseline of any sandbox game. Farming and cooking should be priorities over combat. containers that can carry water should be high on your list for inclusion. catching fish is great. but I should have to cook it and I should be able to find an old jar or canteen or something along those lines in the huge rubble fields that would allow me to carry some water along with me. If I can't carry food and water along with me... why in the heck would I ever want to travel someplace else and fight others or go hunting... Hunting... yet another way to get meat that isn't used.

and why in the heck should I have to sit for 10 or 15 actions next to a river or the lake to get water? why would I ever think that taking a drink of water from the lake if I am parched, would require me to constantly tell myself to drink drink drink drink... that kind of repetition is a less than realistic implementation.

If you feel that 10 actions to fill your thirst bar is correct, then, why can't I queue up a few of those actions?

I am sure each of these questions has already be asked... I find it odd that the Development staff hasn't attempted to remedy these types of serious issues to make the game more palatable to its players.

Im sorry but this game has too many fundamental issues that need to be fixed prior to me ever recommending others to come play... 100 bucks later, and I find the game wanting in too many areas to continue.

Xsyon, Good luck I hope your development continues to grow and you are able to remedy these issues soon.. I will continue to check back and watch your progess with interest for the day when you make the game worthy to pay for.

This is exactly why pretty much no one will pay more than a month or so for this game.. and the truth is.. Making them pay for the game then pay $15 a month for it then they find out that all this stuff is missing from the game will make the player even more upset he wasted his money and time on an incomplete game, then he will cancel and never come back.

Even Wurm online has all of this stuff in the game and they don't even charge that much a month. Even if they did, people would still play because it's a mostly complete game, not a base of a game. Only thing Xsyon has on Wurm is graphics and animations.. other than that it's not even close. And anyone that plays these types of games do not even care about graphics that much, they care about the gameplay. Graphics just make it that much better.. and might be what pulled some away from Wurm or some other games into Xsyon.