PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on new patch - Tree planting

tomduril
11-27-2011, 06:04 AM
I am not sure this is the right place to do something like that - just wanted to comment on the new system. / Not commenting on the stability of the client /

1) I like the new interface - looks great and still has the "known" feel to it
2) Getting cones/seeds: I like the idea and the implementation of the idea
3) Planting trees: solid idea, solid implementation
4) Balancing: its way to easy now - and i mean like 800% to easy! - finding cones near trees should be the same chance as finding "obsidian" on granite - no idea what you need needles for - but a similar system like granite flint/obsidian/quartz would be appropiate (with same rates)
- Planting trees should succeed at the rate that foraging/scavenging does ... so with skill (forestry) 100 every 2-3 time and with skill 5 about every 15-20 try - using up the seed of course !!!
New trees should not have any cones/sap ... those should be spawned after the tree has grown (5-7 days IMHO).

I hope that the current rates (finding and success) are to enable the players to stress test the system and to replant areas that were cut clean - but in 5-7 days the values should be adapted IMHO.

Great work all in all - and its really nice to see the progress you DEVs put in the game!!!

Thank you!

ShadowLegion
11-27-2011, 06:11 AM
1. I don't like the new UI at all see this: http://www.xsyon.com/forum/project.php?issueid=1326
2. agreed
3. agreed
4. agreed

I pretty much agree with everything tom say's above I just don't like the new UI

miyagi
11-27-2011, 07:06 AM
1) UI bars need different colors
2)agreed
3)agreed
4) agreed but 2-3 days should be the time for a tree to fully grow

ShadowLegion
11-27-2011, 07:37 AM
4) agreed but 2-3 days should be the time for a tree to fully grow

I don't agree with that at all, if you want instant trees go to where the trees already are, tree planting is not meant to give us easy mode.

Deatu
11-27-2011, 08:14 AM
1) I agree with Shadow and Miyagi, UI colors need to be differentiated by color
2) Good concept, wish that subtle details like baby trees dropped in twigs dont produce new seeds.
3) Agree for the most part, however it could have required some tools to make it more interactive. Use shovels and water to tend to the saplings.
4) 100% agree with the balancing, there are some major details that got overlooked with level caps, easy of xp and no diminishing gains on upper-level experience. It would also be nice to see what quality sapling you've planted. Maybe make the saplings interactable like boulders and mature trees?

I agree overall a great step to immersion ingame and a great way to assist the Tahoe Area in reforestation. Maybe now we can take a closer look at tree spawning and see if its still a viable option with all these new foresters around. Definetely need some balancing with both factors.

Yutty
11-27-2011, 08:44 AM
1) Agree they need to make some changes to the bars. Colouring or even putting them in groups so we can move them around and be able to see our fatigue bar easier.
2) Agree - you should not be able to get cones or seeds from newly planted trees
3) at first I was skeptic but after seen the trees growing in our area, love it now.. Looks amazing.
4) I agree, they need to make it a bit harder I can see this getting out of hand.

I think they should have made it more interactive. Maybe digging down once to plant tree or requiring dirt and water to get it started. They could have made it more interactive, right now it just seems like they threw it in for the hell of it.

Book
11-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Haven't had a chance to mess around with it yet but do have one big concern lurking over my head at the moment...

If after planting a new tree, the ground around it becomes forest ground, ie. branches and twigs.... will this be used by the more annoying folks to get rid of all the grass?
Hate to say it but I could see some people using this just to be a serious nuisance.

dem1urge
11-27-2011, 10:32 AM
4) Balancing: its way to easy now - and i mean like 800% to easy! - finding cones near trees should be the same chance as finding "obsidian" on granite - no idea what you need needles for - but a similar system like granite flint/obsidian/quartz would be appropiate (with same rates)
- Planting trees should succeed at the rate that foraging/scavenging does ... so with skill (forestry) 100 every 2-3 time and with skill 5 about every 15-20 try - using up the seed of course !!!

Why should finding cones with seeds be so much more difficult? IRL I can walk out into Lake Tahoe and find cones with seeds very easily. Planting trees shouldn't be any harder -- trees can grow anywhere there are nutrients and an anchor point. And, those are all over the Lake Tahoe area. Granted, the environment has 'changed' because Tahoe is no longer the Tahoe I know and love... well, not exactly, anyway.

New trees should not have any cones/sap ... those should be spawned after the tree has grown (5-7 days IMHO).

I agree with this one. I'm sure it's just a detail that was overlooked. I would take this a step further and not allow cones proliferation under after the tree has become a full adult. 5-7 days would equate to roughly 1/2 a season which, IMO, isn't realistic at all (I know, it's only a game, but still...). On the other hand, this could be explained with the 'mutant' idea: After the apocalypse, the trees to survive where the ones with the higher reproductive rates, thus they 'seed' earlier in their life cycles.

Great work all in all - and its really nice to see the progress you DEVs put in the game!!!

Yes, indeed, very good work. I just wish all the crashing and patching issues hadn't happened. Oh well, bad stuff happening equals more experience under the belt(s). Now we need grass seeds! :o)

severin
11-27-2011, 02:52 PM
1) I like the new interface - looks great and still has the "known" feel to it
2) Getting cones/seeds: I like the idea and the implementation of the idea
3) Planting trees: solid idea, solid implementation

1) Hate the ui. Skill-icons looks cheap and cartoonish. Green bars are just too close too eachother and some are not in a logical order. Was absolutely fine on old ui and I have a hard time finding out why this was changed, only chat box needed work (and that havn't been changed). Not able to see zone and position anymore unless you have the minimap open made me laugh ... or cry.

2+3) Was promised long time ago.

4) Agree on that.

Asharad
11-27-2011, 04:09 PM
1) Hate the ui. Skill-icons looks cheap and cartoonish. Green bars are just too close too eachother and some are not in a logical order. Was absolutely fine on old ui and I have a hard time finding out why this was changed, only chat box needed work (and that havn't been changed). Not able to see zone and position anymore unless you have the minimap open made me laugh ... or cry.

Same......

ShadowLegion
11-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Why should finding cones with seeds be so much more difficult? IRL I can walk out into Lake Tahoe and find cones with seeds very easily.

If you talk about RL, tree seeds need a stratification process, (there are lot's of variations of stratification needs depending on the type of seed) they need 90-120 days of freezing weather and/or 90-100 days of warm weather before they will even sprout roots and that's if they don't rot in the ground first.

Also, pine cones don't even drop seeds unless they get really hot first from a forest fire.

Finding seeds imo should be a little harder and I agree with tom - it should be more like how you find flint and obsidian and make seeds actually worth something.

MrDDT
11-27-2011, 05:08 PM
If you talk about RL, tree seeds need a stratification process, (there are lot's of variations of stratification needs depending on the type of seed) they need 90-120 days of freezing weather and/or 90-100 days of warm weather before they will even sprout roots and that's if they don't rot in the ground first.

Also, pine cones don't even drop seeds unless they get really hot first from a forest fire.

Finding seeds imo should be a little harder and I agree with tom - it should be more like how you find flint and obsidian and make seeds actually worth something.

I agree with this, and make other process into it. Like fixing up the ground in prep for planting. Using tools like a rake/hoe/shovel.

Make other factors also like, using watering, and other things for the first few days (or in game weeks). These things will allow you to raise the QL of the tree too. So all can be effected by forestry skill. Then have it after its 1/2 life you can use saws (not old saw blade types but those dagger and axe saws) to prune the trees to growing healthy.

These things add favor and tasks to the game that make people want to be farmers and foresters. Make these a trade not just a random skill with a seed drop.

Drevar
11-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Have to agree on the new icons, don't like em much. Way to WoWish and takes away from the gritty apocalyptic feel of the game. Also agree we need to differentiate the status bars somehow; rearranging, enlarging, or coloring specific bars.

I think finding seeds should be more of a gamble than a gaurantee and with a little more randomness on the number found.
I don't think we need to go as far as weeding and mulching and pruning, but maybe watering and fertilizing could speed up the growing process.
Why bother with quality level for the cones, as the seed extracting seems to be based on gathering skill? I get Very High seeds from poor and low cones. Seeds straight from the gound use Forestry and are low, however.
Not really keen on the Resource skill. Seems like just another mindless grind skill just to get back to the point where we were before. There is nothing new, or fun, or rewarding about it. Since only "ground" resources (stone, sand, quartz, etc.) isn't it really more like mining or quarrying rather than generic "Resources"?

banden
11-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Have to agree on the new icons, don't like em much. Way to WoWish and takes away from the gritty apocalyptic feel of the game. Also agree we need to differentiate the status bars somehow; rearranging, enlarging, or coloring specific bars.

I think finding seeds should be more of a gamble than a gaurantee and with a little more randomness on the number found.
I don't think we need to go as far as weeding and mulching and pruning, but maybe watering and fertilizing could speed up the growing process.
Why bother with quality level for the cones, as the seed extracting seems to be based on gathering skill? I get Very High seeds from poor and low cones. Seeds straight from the gound use Forestry and are low, however.
Not really keen on the Resource skill. Seems like just another mindless grind skill just to get back to the point where we were before. There is nothing new, or fun, or rewarding about it. Since only "ground" resources (stone, sand, quartz, etc.) isn't it really more like mining or quarrying rather than generic "Resources"?

Resources include a few more things than just stone, like sand, tar. Im sure there are more that I cant think of right now and Im sure that other things will be added later on. From an objective standpoint, foraging was tied to masonry as a gathering skill and that was rather silly, fixed now so I wont complain that I recently lvled foraging so I could get better stone (OMFG). Ye know, its mostly a classification and a balance issue.

MrDDT
11-28-2011, 01:14 AM
I like that new change really.

Resource gathering should be a skill, and was needed. I again think tools should be part of this process. You want rocks? Use a pick. You want grass? Use a rake, or something. You want sand? Use a shovel. You want twigs? Use a knife. You want branches? Use an axe.

Bring more stuff into play here, making the game more using tools and crafting. Build the econ up.

I would like to also see cross skills. EI you use foraging to speed up your resource gathering speed. Use logging to speed up getting branches. etc. I think you get the idea.

GuideRaguel
11-28-2011, 03:45 AM
Greetings Everyone!

Please continue this thread just the way you are, in the meantime I'm going to move this to the developer section of the forums.
Great Ideas!

Thank you.

Deacon
11-28-2011, 04:46 AM
I like that new change really.

Resource gathering should be a skill, and was needed. I again think tools should be part of this process. You want rocks? Use a pick. You want grass? Use a rake, or something. You want sand? Use a shovel. You want twigs? Use a knife. You want branches? Use an axe.

Bring more stuff into play here, making the game more using tools and crafting. Build the econ up.

I would like to also see cross skills. EI you use foraging to speed up your resource gathering speed. Use logging to speed up getting branches. etc. I think you get the idea.

I think this makes so much sense, especially the part requiring tools to get resources.

Ptah
11-28-2011, 04:55 AM
1. Its alright... I liked the old one better. This one is far too unorganized.
2. Agree
3. Agree
4. Agree

"Make other factors also like, using watering, and other things for the first few days (or in game weeks). These things will allow you to raise the QL of the tree too. So all can be effected by forestry skill. Then have it after its 1/2 life you can use saws (not old saw blade types but those dagger and axe saws) to prune the trees to growing healthy."

+1

inhabit
11-28-2011, 05:18 AM
UI
Like the artwork style of the bottom hotbar,
Dislike the cartoon skill/action etc buttons doesnt fit with the games styling.
Dislike removal of co-ordinates from bottom bar as map now needs to remain open while Terraforming and numbers on map are smaller to read.
If you were spending time sorting UI you should have done something with the chat box like ability to resize instead.
Dislike heath bars, they are unclear at a glance which is not good for combat.
Dislike having to rearrange UI every login.

Forestry
Like that we can now plant trees.
Dislike its another rightclick mundane system, its more like a “guide power” to spawn trees we have been given rather than proper system (can i have the equivalent but for animals please j/k :P)
Dislike lack of use of tools we seem to have super powered hands which can collect everything, from sap, to rock etc.
Example sap could require a bucket and a hatchet to collect (this is how it used to be done IRL, now its some sort of pump system, anyways) the method depends how useful sap actually is ingame but im just using this as an example.

Motlee
11-28-2011, 05:55 AM
Just wanted to say I thought planting trees would take more effort as well. It makes me wonder if agriculture (when we get it way down the road) will be the same. Surely a corn field won't just be a bunch of right clicking on un-prepared ground.

Glad we get to regrow forests now though.

MrDDT
11-29-2011, 03:06 PM
I would love to see farming added, with watering, and tending your fields.

I played Roma Victor and they had minor tending of fields in that game, and people thought it was fun. Also knowing when its the right time to plant, and cut your corps for best QL and max yield.

They also had a system you could fertilize the fields to help QL go up. I would love to see these types of effects.
Maybe also things like mutant crops where you can use farming skill or alchemy type skill to come up with a new type of crop that will have better effects. Health bonuses, or stronger cloths etc.

Motlee
11-30-2011, 05:03 AM
Also knowing when its the right time to plant

That was something I was wondering the other day while planting trees. Is there (or will there be) a greater chance of seed success (or higher quality trees) if planted in certain seasons? In the future, I would think some trees would die before reaching maturity, perhaps.