PDA

View Full Version : Territorial Expansion Answers from Notorious Games



Oakstead
04-14-2010, 08:43 AM
I sent in this question to FAQ on the home page and received this response:

QUESTION:

What kind of territory control enforcement will tribes have in Prelude? You mentioned that they can claim resources but how is that accomplished? How will tribes protect their out-of-village land modifications (roads, buildings, etc)?

ANSWER:

A tribe's area of influence is a radius around the totem and increases based on size of the tribe, so this encompasses an area larger than the core of the village. In the early prelude this area is a safe zone and all resources within the area are claimed.

Later, tribes can place secondary totems to claim / expand their territory.

So strategic level territorial control will even be in Prelude for allied tribes that coordinate settlement and trade. So the question for large tribes will be whether to have one large circular area or break up into several smaller in-game sub-tribes to get a custom shaped territory to cover certain resources or trade routes (roads).

Need I say this is very cool!

Primavera
04-14-2010, 09:09 AM
It sounds very interesting - wonder what the mechanics/enforcement consist of? eg Will there be any form of guards/magic/alarms to prevent unwanted guests or is the territory more symbolic? And what does "resources are claimed" mean - untappable by others, or fitted with burglar alarms, or something completely unique and imaginative?

As a self confessed non-recogniser of the right to own land, I kind of hope its along the lines of the tribe has to respond to an alarm, rather than untappable nodes. Not that it'll matter much while the population is low.

Bah, I only landed on this game 2 days ago and I'm getting as obssessed as everyone else already.

Jadzia
04-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Primavera wrote:

It sounds very interesting - wonder what the mechanics/enforcement consist of? eg Will there be any form of guards/magic/alarms to prevent unwanted guests or is the territory more symbolic? And what does "resources are claimed" mean - untappable by others, or fitted with burglar alarms, or something completely unique and imaginative?

As a self confessed non-recogniser of the right to own land, I kind of hope its along the lines of the tribe has to respond to an alarm, rather than untappable nodes. Not that it'll matter much while the population is low.

Bah, I only landed on this game 2 days ago and I'm getting as obssessed as everyone else already.

Since tribal area (and not only town) will be a safe zone during the Prelude, I guess it means that visitors can't do any harm. No destroying things, no stealing, no killing. So probably no need for guards or any other defensive mechanic.

Primavera
04-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Jadzia wrote:

Primavera wrote:

It sounds very interesting - wonder what the mechanics/enforcement consist of? eg Will there be any form of guards/magic/alarms to prevent unwanted guests or is the territory more symbolic? And what does "resources are claimed" mean - untappable by others, or fitted with burglar alarms, or something completely unique and imaginative?

As a self confessed non-recogniser of the right to own land, I kind of hope its along the lines of the tribe has to respond to an alarm, rather than untappable nodes. Not that it'll matter much while the population is low.

Bah, I only landed on this game 2 days ago and I'm getting as obssessed as everyone else already.

Since tribal area (and not only town) will be a safe zone during the Prelude, I guess it means that visitors can't do any harm. No destroying things, no stealing, no killing. So probably no need for guards or any other defensive mechanic.

I didnt read it quite like that - tribal areas will be a safe zone during "early prelude" was what it said. That might mean 1 week, it might mean 1 year, or anything in between - big difference, but I'd guess it'll be somewhere in the 1-2 month region to allow people to get established.

Largion
04-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Always fun to get updates and all but can everyone plz stop sending in questions so that they can keep pushing the game forward?

Jadzia
04-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Primavera wrote:

Jadzia wrote:

Primavera wrote:

It sounds very interesting - wonder what the mechanics/enforcement consist of? eg Will there be any form of guards/magic/alarms to prevent unwanted guests or is the territory more symbolic? And what does "resources are claimed" mean - untappable by others, or fitted with burglar alarms, or something completely unique and imaginative?

As a self confessed non-recogniser of the right to own land, I kind of hope its along the lines of the tribe has to respond to an alarm, rather than untappable nodes. Not that it'll matter much while the population is low.

Bah, I only landed on this game 2 days ago and I'm getting as obssessed as everyone else already.

Since tribal area (and not only town) will be a safe zone during the Prelude, I guess it means that visitors can't do any harm. No destroying things, no stealing, no killing. So probably no need for guards or any other defensive mechanic.

I didnt read it quite like that - tribal areas will be a safe zone during "early prelude" was what it said. That might mean 1 week, it might mean 1 year, or anything in between - big difference, but I'd guess it'll be somewhere in the 1-2 month region to allow people to get established.

You are right, "early prelude" hasn't been defined at all.

Lily
04-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Largion wrote:

Always fun to get updates and all but can everyone plz stop sending in questions so that they can keep pushing the game forward?

But they neeeeed to know! They need to know every last details of how things will work, regardless of the fact that features have changed from originally listed already. They need to know and they need to know now, now, nooooooow! *stamps foot*

pid73
04-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Lily wrote:

... regardless of the fact that features have changed from originally listed already.

Noooo... what has changed? I thought the features on the features page are all in :dry:

Lily
04-14-2010, 01:41 PM
pid73 wrote:

Lily wrote:

... regardless of the fact that features have changed from originally listed already.

Noooo... what has changed? I thought the features on the features page are all in :dry:


- Testing and tweaking combat changes. We're reworking the combat system somewhat after taking into consideration some of the discussions on the forum. Instead of having to select a target, you will be attacking whatever is in range and your aim (center view point in 1st person, mouse cursor in 3rd person) will determine your specific intended target.
http://www.xsyon.com/forums/5-announcements/5958-from-the-developers

Not a 'feature' as such, but still a change based on forum whining.

pid73
04-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Thank you Lily, I missed that :)

Ciik
04-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Largion wrote:

Always fun to get updates and all but can everyone plz stop sending in questions so that they can keep pushing the game forward?

A better idea is to submit weekly question or have a forum where questions can be posted weekly so that community managers can address some every Friday or so.

edaw22
04-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Lily wrote:

pid73 wrote:

Lily wrote:

... regardless of the fact that features have changed from originally listed already.

Noooo... what has changed? I thought the features on the features page are all in :dry:


- Testing and tweaking combat changes. We're reworking the combat system somewhat after taking into consideration some of the discussions on the forum. Instead of having to select a target, you will be attacking whatever is in range and your aim (center view point in 1st person, mouse cursor in 3rd person) will determine your specific intended target.
http://www.xsyon.com/forums/5-announcements/5958-from-the-developers

Not a 'feature' as such, but still a change based on forum whining.

You have got to be kidding... "forum whining"?

The community pushed for that combat system to be changed because it would severely limit combat tactics and dumb it down. Its not forum whining when people deliver succinct and logical reasoning as to why a game play decision is flawed and give a better suggestion. Nor is it giving in, to take into consideration of these suggestions and make game changes accordingly.

Games often dont turn out like they were originally planned and sometimes this is a bad thing, other times a very good thing.

Primavera
04-15-2010, 08:36 AM
edaw22 wrote:


You have got to be kidding... "forum whining"?

The community pushed for that combat system to be changed because it would severely limit combat tactics and dumb it down. Its not forum whining when people deliver succinct and logical reasoning as to why a game play decision is flawed and give a better suggestion. Nor is it giving in, to take into consideration of these suggestions and make game changes accordingly.

Games often dont turn out like they were originally planned and sometimes this is a bad thing, other times a very good thing.

Any idea if the ranged weapons, ie bows, will be gravitational? And has PvE AI been discussed - I know it might be in there somewhere but my boss doesnt pay me to read the entire back-catalog of posts :P

Great that the community got it changed, dont think I'd have blindly subbed without some sort of twitch.

Nitesky01
04-15-2010, 10:04 AM
So far no PvE elements are in. From what I have read, ranged weapons will have to be aimed. No clue how much gravity will effect the flight path. Given the rest of the game engine dynamics, I would assume so. But to what degree, is anyone's' guess.

Natedagreat
04-23-2010, 10:05 PM
prokop15 wrote:

The gravity will be less than that of our current Earth, giving evidence that there was a massive scale destruction of the Earth, but not discounting the possibility that aliens are controlling our gravitational fields.

What the heck are you on?

Shrimps
05-08-2010, 09:25 PM
I really hope that if anyone that is not in your tribe or friendly with your tribe enters your tribes land you can kill them with no penalty.

Having everyone wandering all over your lands and not being able to stop them without becoming evil won't be fun. I plan on treating tribe lands like I do my actual property, you come on it without my permission and you're gonna get your ass handed to you on a silver platter.

A good reason for this would be to stop spying. Since players can design their own cities, other tribes might want to spy and find the weakest point, or see what resources are where so they can raid and take them.

So having it be a safe zone in prelude only for the owning tribe would be a better idea in my opinion, it might not matter so much now but it will when the protection is gone and they already know all your weaknesses.

Also is a slightly unrelated matter, we have to ward off visitors so how about......heads on pikes?.......too much?....lil bit?

Chile
05-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Shrimps wrote:

I really hope that if anyone that is not in your tribe or friendly with your tribe enters your tribes land you can kill them with no penalty.

Having everyone wandering all over your lands and not being able to stop them without becoming evil won't be fun. I plan on treating tribe lands like I do my actual property, you come on it without my permission and you're gonna get your ass handed to you on a silver platter.

A good reason for this would be to stop spying. Since players can design their own cities, other tribes might want to spy and find the weakest point, or see what resources are where so they can raid and take them.

So having it be a safe zone in prelude only for the owning tribe would be a better idea in my opinion, it might not matter so much now but it will when the protection is gone and they already know all your weaknesses.

Also is a slightly unrelated matter, we have to ward off visitors so how about......heads on pikes?.......too much?....lil bit?

In your case Shrimps it would be a lil unfair to unless the Mantis shrimp on peeps as they just start to build their towns. Does a week or two of building out a town really matter to the Mantis Shrimp?

Farmerbob
05-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Shrimps wrote:

I really hope that if anyone that is not in your tribe or friendly with your tribe enters your tribes land you can kill them with no penalty.

Having everyone wandering all over your lands and not being able to stop them without becoming evil won't be fun. I plan on treating tribe lands like I do my actual property, you come on it without my permission and you're gonna get your ass handed to you on a silver platter.

A good reason for this would be to stop spying. Since players can design their own cities, other tribes might want to spy and find the weakest point, or see what resources are where so they can raid and take them.

So having it be a safe zone in prelude only for the owning tribe would be a better idea in my opinion, it might not matter so much now but it will when the protection is gone and they already know all your weaknesses.

Also is a slightly unrelated matter, we have to ward off visitors so how about......heads on pikes?.......too much?....lil bit?

Shrimps are kinda small, we'd have to put the whole bodies on spikes to be able to see them. Then people would probably run off with them to the nearest fire to cook them. Doesn't sound workable as a deterrent if people just steal them and eat them.

Klaa
05-21-2010, 03:49 AM
One big "Keep Out" sign...

http://www.terrorsyndicate.com/images/darkWorks2005/DKWK2005_201.jpg