PDA

View Full Version : WHATS UP WITH PLANTING TREES?

Visigoth
12-06-2011, 06:23 PM
I spent all day yesterday cutting down/ thining trees in my zone "I went through five axes" and after all that I still could not plant one tree? I always recived the error msg "zone is at it's maximum tree count" how dose that work? do i have to cut down every tree befor it will let me plant 1....

MrDDT
12-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Means you have a lot of trees in your zone. I think its around 250 trees per zone.

wazcool
12-06-2011, 08:25 PM
yeah, i had the same thing! kept cutting trees but there are maybe two problems! people planting trees like crazy in other areas of your zone. Also, is seems that their tree respawning system is a little over zealous. I found that it would often spawn like 3 or 4 trees on the same spot or very close. This means there can be a lot of trees in a small area somewhere in your zone. I found almost walls of trees popping up around me. Will be interesting to see if you are ever able to plant trees!

tomyzr
12-07-2011, 04:12 AM
You are able to plant, in my zone ppl been planting trees like crazy. There is a zone limit, I thought its 500 per zone, but DDT might have a better info on that.

The problem is probably that your zone is way above the limit, it might have 800-1000 trees, and until you get below that you cannot plant new ones. Ofc there is an exception to this, trees can automatically pop baby trees in their vicinity, so in fact if you do not aggressively cut down a big chunk of them, your zone will be always above the limit.

On another note, a DEV came by a few days ago and said we have 4000+ animals ingame and 270-280k trees. It is a bit hard to believe, but if the numbers are accurate, then we have 120 zones, meaning we have on average 33 animals per zone and 2250 trees per zone. This could mean if you are (un)lucky, your zone might have 5000+ trees.

eric
12-07-2011, 04:37 AM
I can confirm that if you keep on cutting trees, eventually you are able to plant new ones.. I've 'tested' in zone 977 last week and after I cut down over 300 trees I could plant 1 new one.. after that I got the same message again..

Lets hope you are not in a zone where others plant also.. lol

fatboy21007
12-07-2011, 06:49 AM
atm each zone has a tree cap of 500.

Mactavendish
12-07-2011, 06:55 AM
When there was no way to restore an areas trees, clear cutting was the bane of most players. And those doing the cutting were considered griefing others.

Spawning babies was a great next step, as it helped provide needed resources closer... but clear cutting still went on, and some were forced to go further and further away to get logs.

With tree planting, all that is moot.

Now, it will become what it should be... Tree Management.

Trees can become not just a source of logs but decorative.

Might I suggest, you cut huge portions of your trees into stacks and get the zones tree count down, then ( having already collected your preferred tree's type of seeds ) start putting in new trees where you want them.

I can foresee those same clear cutters from before, using a new tactic. seeding whole zones with willows.

:p So... I suggest we all go on a willow hunting spree and wipe those vermin from the face of xsyon :)

VeryWiiTee
12-07-2011, 07:04 AM
I wouldn't use preferred seed types..

Get a bunch of all seeds, so you guard yourself against future stats on wood :).

Melaquinn
12-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Gather the type of seed you would like to keep in your area and then go on a chopping spree. Cut EVERYTHING in your path to small logs (you can go back and either turn into firewood for logging xp or work on your woodcrafting with them). Eventually you will get your zone down to a managable limit. Our zone currently looks like Paul Bunyon went mad but we already have dozens of saplings appearing. We will either have everyone maxed skill or disappear behind walls of forestation.

thurgond
12-07-2011, 05:21 PM
One of the guides (Mihr I think) said that the count of the number of trees in a zone wasn't updating on the server. So, you may not be able to fell your zones below the max number of trees.

Ravelli

HyBrasil
12-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Any limit is too high. This is very frustrating. There should be no limit to tree planting unless you make trees much harder to chop down, and even then, why is there a limit? It makes no sense to me. The very concept of this game is contrary to the idea of limits such as this.

Derek
12-15-2011, 06:20 PM
performance

VeryWiiTee
12-16-2011, 12:44 AM
Try crank up your shadows in a forest and see how much fps lag you get.

HyBrasil
12-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Then tone down the graphics everywhere? Gameplay freedom is essential in any game that could even be remotely considered a sandbox. Unless this is intended to be some sort of flashy yet toned down version of "apocalypse tycoon" which a few people appear to be satisfied with.

But hey, as long as this limit is a temporary measure I am okay with it.

banden
12-17-2011, 02:13 AM
Then tone down the graphics everywhere? Gameplay freedom is essential in any game that could even be remotely considered a sandbox. Unless this is intended to be some sort of flashy yet toned down version of "apocalypse tycoon" which a few people appear to be satisfied with.

But hey, as long as this limit is a temporary measure I am okay with it.

All games have limitations, even sandbox games. In this case the limitation is a simple question of resource distribution, a resource cannot be allowed to have infinite supply because it means that you take away any difficulty in procuring said resource and with that you also take away all value of the harvested resource.

I wish you wouldnt use the term "sandbox" in your arguementation, it does not have a constant difinition, everyone difines this subgenre differently. In your case you probably thought that because sandbox games are more freeform than themepark games, the ultimate sandbox game would be one with no limits at all, but this is clearly false logic.

I VIOLENTLY disagree with this ridiculous notion that sandbox games should be limitless, in fact the biggest issues with Xsyon atm are that some features are not limited enough (skills, resource distribution, totems), the practical offshot is that everyone can be a master of all crafts, there isent really an economy worth speaking of and the world is full of abandoned totems that are not decaying. So yeah, limitations are good for the gameplay, in a game world with no limits at all, everything is meaningless.

VeryWiiTee
12-17-2011, 07:50 AM
No one said you couldn't use max shadows, you just need that much better a pc.
It also has to do with the server. With more trees it has way more calculations it needs to do. Way more calculations means it needs more processing power. Something game firms are very reluctant to upgrade. (Any game firm)

The rest banden said perfectly.

HyBrasil
12-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Violently disagree all you want. I still stand by what I say. I think the limit is too low. Which is very frustrating to me because it is still far too easy to chop trees down.

I'm not going to say any more about it because it isn't worth getting violent about. Good day.

EDIT: It is not only me that desires this. Many in my region, including my entire tribe (of approximately 20) express concern over this issue.

banden
12-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Violently disagree all you want. I still stand by what I say. I think the limit is too low. Which is very frustrating to me because it is still far too easy to chop trees down.

I'm not going to say any more about it because it isn't worth getting violent about. Good day.

Good game design should allways take a front seat to whatever you find "very frustrating" or "what you want for yourself". So "PPPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT" to you, good sir.

MrDDT
12-19-2011, 03:27 PM

EDIT: It is not only me that desires this. Many in my region, including my entire tribe (of approximately 20) express concern over this issue.

Its easy to chop down. Very easy to plant.

fatboy21007
12-19-2011, 08:21 PM
nothin wrong with trees and the limit should be a bit lower. Ya realize when a tree is fully mature it can yeild 25-30 long logs, 500 trees per zone, thats 10,000 long logs, No tribe can cram 500 trees inside their camp, its impossible, even with 2 tribes or 3 still not possible always gonna be trees left. So their easy to chop, easy to replant, easy to enjoy. You dont need 10k long logs yourself, this isnt wow, hell i had a whopin 150-180 choped down on my the other day, i got 1k long logs, i got too much wood atm. So yea, dont be complaing, plenty to go around everywhere, Also why dont ya try working with your other pals in ur zone. :-P