PDA

View Full Version : Murdered by small animals.

erathsmus
01-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Every animal can kill me, even a tiny ring-tailed squirrel....
It is a real confidence killer lol.

Are there plans to add some animals that are so pathetic that a new player can stand a chance against it in combat?

MrDDT
01-03-2012, 05:31 PM
You kidding me right?

NorCalGooey
01-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Who couldn't see this coming.

The gap between high level and low level is so big that there is literally no way to balance the mobs for both noobs and veterans.

I guess they could tone down the non mutant mobs, but I'd rather like to see noob players buffed rather than mobs toned down. Give new players 60 HP to start, that should help.

erathsmus
01-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Well MrDDT...I wish I was haha

So far I have been killed by anything I have swung at (unless they ran away).
Literally a hand sized Ring-tailed squirrel murdered me.

In pvp I understand being 1 shot by more experienced players is reasonable, and I understand that I am a crafter type as well.

I am not sure if this is normal, but rats are like an impossible boss fight for me currently.

thurgond
01-03-2012, 07:43 PM
This doesn't show the difference between vets and "noobs", it shows that stats do really matter. Last night Erathsmus said his fortitude was 10. That puts his hit points low enough that small furry critters can pose a problem. Combat in Xsyon is unique enough that it may take several fights and some instruction before he can administer a beat down on a rat or ground squirrel, much less a mutant squirrel. A little +fortitude armor and a few levels wouldn't hurt as well.

Ravelli

erathsmus
01-03-2012, 07:54 PM
That's true, but I have some armor atm.
I totally get that at my current stage, killing is not my forte.

What is irritating me, is that a great amount of this game seems to revolve around realistic world interaction (realistic to a video games perspective) yet
in real life, I can step on a squirrel like that if I can catch it...I understand that the game isn't real life, so I don't expect us to be able to literally step on the squirrel, but I do expect that it would be easy to kill as I am a human.

Maybe a newborn baby would die from a ring-tailed squirrel, but I would hope that even the most scrawny and weak of 20 year old humans can fend themselves from something so petty (unless they are bed ridden, or highly allergic to squirrels....or if the squirrels have FANGS!).

MrDDT
01-03-2012, 07:55 PM
This doesn't show the difference between vets and "noobs", it shows that stats do really matter. Last night Erathsmus said his fortitude was 10. That puts his hit points low enough that small furry critters can pose a problem. Combat in Xsyon is unique enough that it may take several fights and some instruction before he can administer a beat down on a rat or ground squirrel, much less a mutant squirrel. A little +fortitude armor and a few levels wouldn't hurt as well.

Ravelli

10 Fort means you started with 31 HP instead of 39. (39 = 90)
+Fort wont do anything but add very very little HP to your total.

I still cant believe the guy thinks he is ok to start a new guy and kill some of the hardest animals in the game and then call for animals need to be easier.

erathsmus
01-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Huh? MrDDT I am not trying to rage because I am weak...I am saying this because future players might be a little sad from this happening more than a few times. I could care less about slaying animals, I craft.

I don't think ring tailed squirrels are the hardest animals in the game either....Unless I am missing some sort of joke.

MrDDT
01-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Huh? MrDDT I am not trying to rage because I am weak...I am saying this because future players might be a little sad from this happening more than a few times. I could care less about slaying animals, I craft.

I don't think ring tailed squirrels are the hardest animals in the game either....Unless I am missing some sort of joke.

Mutants = Hardest animals in the game.

Try killing something like a chicken.

thurgond
01-03-2012, 08:32 PM
I still cant believe the guy thinks he is ok to start a new guy and kill some of the hardest animals in the game and then call for animals need to be easier.

Since when is a ringtail squirrel one of the hardest animals in the game? In my experience, it's slightly harder than a Triceracock and a little easier than a normal marmot.

Also, the ringtail squirrel is probably the least mutant looking of all mutants. He may not have even known it was a mutant.

Ravelli

erathsmus
01-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Wait, is a ring-tail squirrel a Mutant?!?

I had no idea, it looked like a little orange squirrel.
If that is the case, than I feel less sad about dying from those...Rats are still very scary though.

banden
01-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Well, I guess you got Bors'ed. :D (as in Monty Python's king Arthur if you didnt catch the reference)

Seriously though, you picked those stats yourself, how can you expect to hunt anything when you can die from a light tap on the shoulder? The only thing the game should provide you is the flexibility to repick your stats without rerolling and that is, as i understand, allready in the works.

KeithStone
01-04-2012, 04:59 AM
The game world is not divided into areas based on player level - the problem for so long has been that anyone including a new player could kill all animals in game on day 1.

Most people complained, so they kept increasing the stat difficulty of animals, which was a good thing really - Xsyon is about trying to survive, so keep raising your skills and work on making your green exp bar raise, every time that resets you gain more hp.

Now they have animals that can turn into mutants, which are even harder than the normal animals, so like I said previously - keep working on raising your stats or you can join up with another tribe. (safety in numbers)

MrDDT
01-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Since when is a ringtail squirrel one of the hardest animals in the game? In my experience, it's slightly harder than a Triceracock and a little easier than a normal marmot.

Also, the ringtail squirrel is probably the least mutant looking of all mutants. He may not have even known it was a mutant.

Ravelli

Lets see, Triceracock = Mutant. So lets just toss that out the window.

Marmots have 1/5 the life of a mutant squirrel and hit for 1/3 the damage. Tell me again how they are "easier" than a marmot?

erathsmus
01-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Don't get me wrong guys, I really enjoy difficult games...I always play games on the 2nd hardest setting when I get them.

I just had no idea squirrels were so dangerous, and I didn't understand why small furry animals did not die easily.

I would get that my character is NOT a fighter, but any human whether they are a fighter or not, can fend themselves from a squirrel. (unless there are very rare circumstances)

Whether bears or wolves kill me is a totally different story, I can completely understand humans getting killed from them....But if it were a baby animal the size of my shoe, there should be some exceptions.

I like the idea of there being impossibly hard creatures to fight, as long as they are believable. If killing things was easy at one time, I had no idea because I am a new player, and I don't support everything being "dumbed down". But it is not very reasonable to be killed by a squirrel I am sorry, unless like I said it is a joke or there are 5million squirrels.

Please, I am not trying to new player rage at this game, this game is very fun! I am just giving a first impression at what seems to be a fairly unreasonable circumstance.

*edit=- if anything, it would be helpful that creatures have a "mutant" label on them...I still don't think mutant squirrels are very dangerous, but even if they were, I would like to know they are a mutant before engaging one.