PDA

View Full Version : All those wonderful.... Awful...... Trees

Willowhawk
03-29-2012, 01:09 PM
All those wonderful.... Awful...... Trees :p

Do we need auto tree spawn in the game? What's your thoughts?

I have tried to plant trees on three different occasions since tree planting “forestry” was added to the game. Each time I would get the message “Zone has reached it's limit” I assumed once I removed enough trees to plant, that the next time I tried to plant I would simply need to remove a few trees to be able to replant a few trees. This is not the case. Each time I have had to spend about two days clearing hundreds of trees before I could plant a single tree. Which tells me that the auto tree spawn/seeding doesn't go by the same rules as we do, and that it continues to drop seeds even though “The zone has reached it's limit”

Last night I spent 3 to 4 hour and this morning another hour clearing hundreds of trees in the same zone I had cleared twice before yet I still cannot plant anything. Since my logging is 100 I get no experience or benefits aside from being able to plant a tree, and providing the public service of clearing trees so travelers can move through the area without hitting these impenetrable wall of trees.

So my question and thoughts are “Do we even need auto planting?” Seems to me it would make for a better economy if players had to plant trees to harvest trees. Not to mention it would clean up all the walls or trees now blocking so many areas while there are vast tracks of treeless areas that will never see a tree unless we clear hundreds in other areas first. And in keeping with the story, maybe the apocalypse left toxins that are keeping the trees from seeding themselves? :rolleyes:

The developers may be addressing this already, but if not I think the simple fix would be to turn off tree spawn if that is possible, rather than take the Developers off of more important tasks, giving players complete control over forestry, and making “forestry” a viable and useable skill rather than just another skill to grind by picking up seeds.

MrDDT
03-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Funny how we goto 1 extreme to another.

I think turning off the auto tree planting is fine, however, we also need a way to gather seeds because right now you cant gather without making a lot of bare spots, that dont grow back. Same with grass.

znaiika
03-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Funny how we goto 1 extreme to another.

I think turning off the auto tree planting is fine, however, we also need a way to gather seeds because right now you cant gather without making a lot of bare spots, that dont grow back. Same with grass.

I spent my time clearing out trees for few days now, I don't think natural auto seeding should be off, but I do think every planed tree should generate seeds around a planed tree, even if it was planted on the grass or empty spot, and grass should regrow when you cut down a tree and clearing it's stump.
Do you clear stumps as well? Willowhawk.
I usually go up in the mountains to cut those trees.

Willowhawk
03-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Do you clear stumps as well? Willowhawk.
I usually go up in the mountains to cut those trees.
I cut the tree, kill the stumps, then destroy the logs because animals can run right through log piles while we cannot making it almost impossible to catch a critter if there are thousands of log piles everywhere lol.

znaiika
03-29-2012, 04:12 PM
I cut the tree, kill the stumps, then destroy the logs because animals can run right through log piles while we cannot making it almost impossible to catch a critter if there are thousands of log piles everywhere lol.

Hmmm, maybe it is changed, because yesterday I've killed rabbit being stuck in front of a small logs running.

Dzarren
03-30-2012, 01:11 AM
its getting scary but again i agree wit DDT.
Tree regrowth can be off if seeds would appear under trees every season

tomduril
03-30-2012, 02:43 AM
I am not sure if you are right - first I wanted to agree - but after thinking it throu I came to the conclusion that the "Problem" may be only temporally. Xsyon said that he would aim at a population of about 1000-2000 players for this year and up to 5000-10.000 (and more :P) in the next years.

I think that when totem decay is on - players will come back - and some of them will stay - so those massive tree groups will fall anyhow due to the amount of players that will need wood/logging/forestry - keeping the trees "in check" is only a problem in the regions with low population.

Atm in the south (where most players are located - afaik) and around the more active tribes (with more active players) the trees are fine. The players make sure that they have enough wood in the pipeline (young trees) - and keep reducing the trees that are to large or blocking their ways.

So imho a higher population will fix the problem in a natural way - until them we just have to cope with the trees as they are (and you have to admit its really fun/interesting to see how "unchecked" areas get overgrown)

Ighox
03-30-2012, 04:20 AM
I'd love it if they disabled auto-spawning of trees, even just temporarily until the population is higher.
When there's so many trees that you can't even walk between them and when trees spawn inside trees it feels pretty dumb.
(And making forestry pretty useless.)
Right now, trees should only regrow if you didn't destroy the stump.

Or at the very least, spawn rates should be much slower.

unclean666
03-30-2012, 05:19 AM
haha I said this when planting was put in the game and everyone said no its fine.......well there you go.

znaiika
03-30-2012, 05:19 AM
I think trees should stay as they are as auto planned, and instead of maximum trees in zones they should spawn them by areas, zones are too big to control, I can clear cut trees around my place in my area/sector but it is too far to go to the other side of a zone, to clear out trees.
In my understanding of an area/sector is something like hilltop or king.... will be easier to control tree grow near your home, and untouched areas would really become jungles, that would keep world alive.

Willowhawk
03-30-2012, 10:07 AM
you have to admit its really fun/interesting to see how "unchecked" areas get overgrown)

LOL Easy for you to say, I'm in zone 696/736 I've invested about 15 hours clearing trees. A Barrel of monkeys :D However I am about done with planting and disbursing the trees to all the treeless areas, so I guess we will see how it does and how much work it will be now to maintain the forests surrounding our area.

Fine,.... I'll give you interesting :p

MrDDT
03-30-2012, 11:24 AM
I was thinking about this more, and Ive changed my mind. I do however, think that trees spawning auto needs to be cut back, maybe instead of double the number it should be like 1/3.

What really changed my mind is that if they turned off auto spawning, then the unpopulated areas would overtime never have any trees grow and it wouldnt really make it a dense forest. Which is cool because you can see the areas where few people are by the # of trees growing. While I'm out and about, I tend to cut my way through trees making cool paths over time. I like this the more I thought about it however, I do agree with Willowhawk its too much.

Also the problem I'm having is that we are starting to lack seeds. We have to travel for a ways to find seeds, we also cut down a lot of trees not for the wood but for the option to replant trees just to level forestry. There should be another way to level forestry other than chopping down all the trees and clearing huge fields of "branches" tiles for seeds.

Willowhawk
03-30-2012, 11:52 AM
All good points everyone, thanks for the responses. I just want to mention a couple more things that have been effected by forestry then I'll let it go ;)

Have you also noticed all the square patches of fake brush that gets left behind where a tree was before cutting? Now when I go out to the grass fields, they are being taken over by trees. When you cut the tree it leaves a nice perfect square of brown that looks like brush, but you get the message "Not enough branches here" So not only does it kill what little grass was left, it leaves a useless patch of brown. :(

This is why I feel like (at least until this stuff is fixed) it would be beneficial to kill the auto seed spawn before we have no grass left.

Also another side effect of the forestry is; prior to this change I could follow the pre-made deer paths that were originally all along the rivers in the mountains. These are not as fast to travel as the roads, but they are much faster than the branches or rocks. Now the trees are taking over these as well and killing them with brown fake brush. Prior to the forestry change I could go along and pull the branches and improve the deer trails, or continue them on to the next road/place etc. Now you get the message "Not enough branches" so no more making nice trails. And I personally like the look of the deer trails in the mountains much more than the brown roads, and they are more work to make so people are not as likely to "Grief" pave if they are trails rather than roads.

If players controlled the tree spawn, none of this would be issues. I would upkeep our area, and in other areas I travel to that don't have trees I plant them. However as I originally posted, I have to spend days now to fix all these places with little or no benefits to my skills.

znaiika
04-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Just a thought, I want to plant trees near rocks and baskets and also on my tribe land, but there is restriction that prevent me from doing so, do you think it is good idea? or not?
I would really love to decorate my place with certain trees.

MrDDT
04-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Just a thought, I want to plant trees near rocks and baskets and also on my tribe land, but there is restriction that prevent me from doing so, do you think it is good idea? or not?
I would really love to decorate my place with certain trees.

If they are on your tribe lands then move the rocks and baskets. If they are not on your tribe lands tough luck.

znaiika
04-02-2012, 11:06 AM
If they are on your tribe lands then move the rocks and baskets. If they are not on your tribe lands tough luck.

This is what is not in my mind.

MrDDT
04-02-2012, 11:45 AM
This is what is not in my mind.

Well you can move your totem pick up the baskets, and take out the rocks.

znaiika
04-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Well you can move your totem pick up the baskets, and take out the rocks.

Picking-up baskets not an issue, I don't care about someone else's baskets, even if I could not open them by dropping totem on them, the issue is, I can't plant trees near them or on my tribe land because of restrictions.