PDA

View Full Version : Event - Assault the Outpost!

GuideRaguel
05-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Survivors you are greatly needed!

Recent rumours about the Return of the Xsyon Mercs are true.

We have had many reported sightings and lots of suspicious activity among the mountains of Xsyon.

Our Scouts report that there is a small outpost situated way deep in the mountains.
We gravely need your help to remove these vicious nomads from our lands!

On this coming Sunday 2012-05-13 at 12pm PST, the Event will start.

Players will be grouped up depending on the number of Survivors taking part, and take it in turns to raid the outpost where the Mercs are calling their temporary home.
If you manage to kill a Merc, you may loot them and keep what you find.
There will be many other rewards among the Outpost. You are free to keep what you find.
You will be raiding the outpost with fellow Survivors, this is a join effort in a cooperative setup.
NO PvP allowed (anyone seen attempting to kill another Survivor will be disqualified, and teleported back home).
The Mercs will keep 'Spawning' back until the Survivors have finally pushed them out of the outpost (end of Event time).

Competing players will be summoned to the Event location before the start.
There is to be absolutely no PvP during the Event, until you have received a Teleport Home.

The location of the Outpost, is still being mapped out.
Once this is complete we will let you know.

MrDDT
05-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Sounds like fun.

I don't really understand why the Guides dictate the no PVP. This is an FFA PVP world, yet they put on these types of events which would allow for PVP politics to take place. Doesn't make sense to me.

You have other factors of people looting other players, or miss swings, or whatever. Who gets the end loot? Do I sit back and watch while others kill then, when I see a merc go down I rush in for the loot?

Shill
05-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Sounds like fun.

I don't really understand why the Guides dictate the no PVP. This is an FFA PVP world, yet they put on these types of events which would allow for PVP politics to take place. Doesn't make sense to me.

You have other factors of people looting other players, or miss swings, or whatever. Who gets the end loot? Do I sit back and watch while others kill then, when I see a merc go down I rush in for the loot?

Probably because it's an organized event...and...because you'd mow down all the participants and then take EVERYTHING. There is noone playing right now that even stands a chance against you 1v1...and if other IS members are there, then everyone else loses. That's not a fun event..that's a slaughter in which only you guys win. You have won or nearly won every single PvP event hosted since I've been around. It's okay to not "win" once in awhile. :( We cooperate, we kill mercs, everyone has some fun and profits...why is that wrong?

MrDDT
05-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Its wrong because this is an FFA PVP world. These events should be open PVP not guides saying who can attack who.
Ive played a lot of FFA PVP games and these types of events are the events combat players and guides are looking for. It creates game dynamics for politics and players to make new friends/allies and make enemies.

If IS goes there and kills everyone they find, then those players will be upset with IS. Killing them, starting a war, trade embargoes etc.
If you have a few tribes team up, and work together not only would they reap the rewards of this event, but they can also kill the "evil" players and take their loot too. Plus it will create strong bonds to do other things together.

Ive been in other games where GM's have done events and it doesnt need to be protected. FFA PVP in this game is promoted as part of the WHOLE world (save for founders isle and each person tribe area), why would you have guides get involved with tribe disrupts or politics?

I'm either forced to work with other tribes (some I might not like at all) or not play in the event. I dont see a reason for this in an FFA PVP game. This isnt even counting the fact that its not in the hands of the guides who does miss swings, watching who attacks who, seeing who loots what.

Sounds to me like I should goto this event naked, wait for everyone to die and loot them. (Nothing is stated saying I cant), then loot the "Mercs" if they die while everyone else is still fighting.

Syres
05-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Well at the end it's not so bad. It is true, this is FFA PVP world and at this point you can attack and loot who ever you want. But still this sounds like PVE event and it's ok by me (and my skills :D) that there will be no PVP ;).

Hodo
05-09-2012, 05:11 AM
At first I thought this was an organized PvP event vs a larger tribe. But after reading a bit, its not and thats kind of depressing, not that I would do anything either way.

While I agree with MrDDT on this PvP thing, I think that there should be less "overseeing" on events in the near future and more "free form play". We had open world PvP in Roma Victor, and we had SEVERAL large events without it degenerating into a pvp blood bath. I belive that the Xsyon community is as mature if not more so than the Roma Victor community was.

Perhaps this could have been a test run for the Revnants or how ever they spell it.

China
05-09-2012, 05:49 AM

We have had many reported sightings and lots of suspicious activity among the mountains of Xsyon.

WARNING!!!

Disclaimer
The Xsyon Mercenaries are in no way affiliated with this so called bunch of "vicious nomads". This small band of Wannabes were soundly rejected by the leadership of our tribe, and admonished to behave themselves, or face the consequences. Furthermore, they were also ordered not to under any circumstances ever allude that they were connected to our honorable tribe. They have not signed "The Seal of the Mercs". They have no honor, and are to be considered 'armed and dangerous'.

Carry on.

China
Leader of the Xsyon Mercenaries

Whorlok
05-09-2012, 08:41 AM
What are MERCS?...are this animals ?

Creator
05-09-2012, 09:16 AM
I will defeat the mercs as I did Dingse in 1 vs 1... RUN AWAY!!! RUN AWAY!!! bwhahaa... "Supreme Hermit Grass Basket Combat Tactic... Huuuuuuh!!!"

Willowhawk
05-09-2012, 01:20 PM
What are MERCS?...are this animals ?

I believe they are the Guides alter egos (shhhhh) :p

Deacon
05-09-2012, 10:13 PM
LOL, China...TBH I thought your tribe was who they were talking about...forgot about their running from board to board type events.

But I have to agree...less overssight is needed. Let the xyson community evolve. Guess no one learned from last "King of Hill" event...even before the stat/skill changes came...DDT can be beat, he was beat...You have to learn to work as a group..instead of a "cluster f_ck" of individuals. There is a reason for the saying "there is safety in numbers". Even if you dont want to be in each other's tribes...doesnt stop you from working together...right?

And just so you know where I'm comming from...I'll probably never be one of the top PVPers, probably average at best....But I will be an important part of a team.

joexxxz
05-10-2012, 03:25 AM
In the beginning I killed MrDDT. He cant even fight like a man. lol ahahaha

I got his Axe. Its still in my bin. I can prove it...

GuideRaguel
05-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Just a reminder to the Community.
The Event is still on, and will start at 12pm PST this coming Sunday!

Hope to see as many of you as possible.
Good Luck!

MrDDT
05-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Well in that case...

This lore makes no sense and it fundamentally breaks the immersion of game play. Why would you bother making a backstory if it doesn't fit at all?

I thought we were settling this place anew, yet there is some band of mercenaries who have traveled through the green mist to kill us? and they were hired by some evil group beyond the green mist? If they're capable of traveling through it, why can't we? And if they're hired mercenaries with these capabilities, how can the gang of crafters inhabiting this lake kill them?

Not sure where you got any of that info from this post haha.

If you were around for the other events that "Xsyon Mercs" were in before, you would understand a little more of what is going on.

MrDDT
05-11-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm not good at role play but pretty much last time they ran around the map killing people until players banded together and killed them. There was a few events like this, pretty much it was just "Evil Mercs" that were causing issues around the map.

Willowhawk
05-11-2012, 01:56 PM
A few questions...

"Return of the Xsyon Mercs"?
1. Who are the Xsyon Mercs?
2. Where are they returning from?
3. What happened the last time they were here?
4. Who has hired these 'mercenaries'?
5. What have they been hired for?
6. What makes these group such a significant threat that we must work together?
7. If this is a "small outpost", are they only a small portion of a greater group of 'Xsyon Mercs'?

"We gravely need your help"
8. Who is 'we'?

To answer your questions simply, this is a guide event and has nothing to do with Xsyon story line. They are just providing us with some fun events.

Speaking of Events.... I work every Sunday noon to 4pm which is always when the events take place. I thought someone said they would hold some evening events as well?
Oh well, maybe I can get someone to cover my shift (Riverspirit) :p

MrDDT
05-11-2012, 02:24 PM
They have an event every WED at 11pm EST

Willowhawk
05-12-2012, 09:11 AM
They have an event every WED at 11pm EST
Gee thanks DDT. I'm sure I can buy tons of stuff I don't need at the trade fair but I was thinking of something FUN like the "Merc Invation" Yes I'm well aware of the trade fair but then I'm sure you knew that but can't help yourself.

MrDDT
05-12-2012, 12:15 PM
I think they should have more events at my play time around 2am EST.

joexxxz
05-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Why not have an event on saturday (PSTime) once in a while. I'm off on saturday!!!

Fyrex
05-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Wow what a waste of time. I crahsed just before getting there and now I can't even log back into the game.. Thanks for that.

GuideRaguel
05-13-2012, 12:42 PM
We are restarting the Server, to see if those clears the Lag issue.
If so, we will continue to do the event.

If not, we will update everyone with the circumstances.

Sorry for the issues currently in-game.

Qwerty
05-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Good idea and could have been good. Suggest buying a new server before we do more events because this is just annoying!

thunXa
05-13-2012, 12:45 PM

MrDDT
05-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Event - Assault the Outpost!

Our Scouts report that there is a small outpost situated way deep in the mountains.
We gravely need your help to remove these vicious nomads from our lands!

On this coming Sunday 2012-05-13 at 12pm PST, the Event will start.

Players will be grouped up depending on the number of Survivors taking part, and take it in turns to raid the outpost where the Mercs are calling their temporary home.
If you manage to kill a Merc, you may loot them and keep what you find.
There will be many other rewards among the Outpost. You are free to keep what you find.
You will be raiding the outpost with fellow Survivors, this is a join effort in a cooperative setup.
NO PvP allowed (anyone seen attempting to kill another Survivor will be disqualified, and teleported back home).
The Mercs will keep 'Spawning' back until the Survivors have finally pushed them out of the outpost (end of Event time).

Competing players will be summoned to the Event location before the start.
There is to be absolutely no PvP during the Event, until you have received a Teleport Home.

The location of the Outpost, is still being mapped out.
Once this is complete we will let you know.

I guess if you dont help other players loot baskets and stuff you will be teleported home.
Not sure where in the rules this is but as predicted this event was pretty much a joke.

Sad part is I'm the one who likely got the most loot, and its still just crappy event.

Riverspirit
05-13-2012, 02:08 PM
I guess if you dont help other players loot baskets and stuff you will be teleported home.
Not sure where in the rules this is but as predicted this event was pretty much a joke.

Sad part is I'm the one who likely got the most loot, and its still just crappy event.

Yeah DDT, you should prolly just skip the next one... :p

MrDDT
05-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Alternatively, you could scrap all of this event business and let the people playing in this sandbox world do what they want. Lake Tahoe might actually feel like a community then, and not just a bunch of instances where guide's teleport you around to meet up with everyone else. If they want to have tournaments, they can schedule it themselves, they can make their own rules, they can police it themselves, and so on.

Nail on the head.

Guides need to stop thinking of injecting their own version what it should be and let the players make the world. Events in a sandbox game are there to support players to doing what they want.

If 2 warring tribes have at it in the middle of a zombie invasion, well sounds like a good event.

What a guide shouldnt do is be like "Oh this side is stronger so lets have more zombies attack them to get the other team a fair chance". Players make up the world, if someone is upsetting other tribes those tribes will do things to either trade embargo, or kill them or gang up. Its like this in many sandboxes Ive played. The top tribes change over time due to how alliances and teamswork happens. In EVE you dont see the devs and GM's changing the ruleset of the game because 1 corp is at war or stronger than another corp.

Anyways, nail on the head is remove the guides from the interaction of the overall of the player gameplay. They should be there to support players when they are stuck, bugged, take info about bugs or lag, and help direct players in the right direction for information and support. Not take a hand or part of how politics are fights break out.

Ive played in Darkfall where we had about 200 people at a 2 v 2 tournament and about 30 people tried to crash it. It was one of the best events Ive seen (Players held it), and guess what? After wiping the floor of those 30, the tournament went back to normal. If there was a player hacking or something like that, then a guide or GM can stop those types of things at these events, but players are the ones that should be doing these events. The tools should be there to support these types of events.

Willowhawk
05-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Nail on the head.

Guides need to stop thinking of injecting their own version what it should be and let the players make the world. Events in a sandbox game are there to support players to doing what they want.

So make your own events, that sounds like fun and I don't see anyone saying you can't. If it's a player event then the guides have no say in it. If it's a guide event and you don't like the rules, then don't participate.

MrDDT
05-13-2012, 05:23 PM
So make your own events, that sounds like fun and I don't see anyone saying you can't. If it's a player event then the guides have no say in it. If it's a guide event and you don't like the rules, then don't participate.

Sure, if I make an event can I get a free 5000 supreme titanium screws to give out too? Or maybe even rarer items that players cant even make?

I also do hold my own events, likely more than any other player/tribe in this game.

Also how does this change the fact that guides that pretty much pick and choose who they want to win an event or even worse just give them free items based on if they like them or not. Why do I care what other players get in the world? Well because its about politics and economy both of which Xsyon is showing they are failing at, when a guide gives out ultra rare items at a basket hunt even that takes 15mins to do, it jacks up other events I hold, it jacks up the trades and market prices of everything else in the game.

Most players wont even use 5000 screws in their whole time gaming, let alone supreme QL rare ones. I understand you dont really follow most of the politics and economy or even PVP in this game, you guys do your own thing and try to build and hunt thats great. But there are major features that are being broken here when guides start putting their hand into player affairs and events like this show just how little they know of what is going on.

Many players or tribes dont like me or my tribe. That's politics. It creates drama and a dynamic player environment. When a guide tells your tribe or members they cant attack another tribe or player for no real reason, or a guide prevents PVP because of their personal views on the topic. There are major issues. When guides hand out loot, or items to players because they "like them" or they feel they need them to help vs another tribe, there are issues.

Guides giving out master QL weapons, armor, tools etc to players that are new to the game, it breaks down the game economy and effects how players will play.

Saying "If you dont like it dont go" or saying "If you dont like it hold your own event" is like me telling you to put your head in the sand when someone is killing your family. It doesnt make sense.

Willowhawk
05-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Wow.......

Hodo
05-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Kind of glad I missed it. But I agree with Prokop and DDT.

In a SANDBOX game there should not be many "themed" or hand held events by the GMs/Moderators.

Occasional events like the coming of the Revnants/Zombies would be a cool little thing to do. Show people what they look like what to look for and a bit of a surprise when dealing with them.

An event for the pushing back of the mist would be another one.

But just so people can PvP vs GMs on Alt toons that makes no sense in the current fluff of the game... well thats just idiotic.

Player run events with support from the GM staff is an idea that has worked in other games and in the past. Hell Roma Victor we had a in game yearly event in Erring (Celt village in the north). Where we had unarmed combat tournaments, armed tournaments, archery competitions, thrown competitions, hunting competitions, hell even a fishing competition.

We had a trial for a player who had seriously wronged two different tribes in game, that lead to a great RP event.

Even the Romas south of the wall had a few great events that I attended too. There were players that tried to crash them, but they were few and far between. The devs supported these events with the rare gift, or trophy, but mostly the players created the items that would be the prize.

So lets start letting the players run the events, and thus making it a SANDBOX!

Hell the Creator has had a couple of good ones, and a few off the wall ones. But I like his style of having not only combat but non-combat.

raven
05-14-2012, 05:01 AM
Also how does this change the fact that guides that pretty much pick and choose who they want to win an event or even worse just give them free items based on if they like them or not. Why do I care what other players get in the world?

Well considering you have been the benefactor on this more times than not quit crying Willis. Or, is it, that 1 time in 10 you didn't have stuff randomly handed to you by guides or an event set up so that you could win, that even that makes you cry like a baby?

When guides hand out loot, or items to players because they "like them" or they feel they need them to help vs another tribe, there are issues.

So are you planning to give back the items you have aquired this way, or again, are you just all talk?

On another note, is anything going to be done about DDT exploiting the rules of this event? You have 1 player that can't follow rules, then running you in the ground over it, when everyone else has no problems following the rules. I want something done about it or is it just favoritism to this 1 player?

Fyrex
05-14-2012, 07:11 AM
All this talk about player run events and I have only seen 2 in the 6 months that I have actually been playing...... If you want player run events then people are going to have to start stepping up and putting them together rather then bitching about the events that we currently have in game. I rather have something then nothing. Sooooo shutup or put up.... quit bitching about it and do something.

Qwerty
05-14-2012, 07:25 AM
All this talk about player run events and I have only seen 2 in the 6 months that I have actually been playing...... If you want player run events then people are going to have to start stepping up and putting them together rather then bitching about the events that we currently have in game. I rather have something then nothing. Sooooo shutup or put up.... quit bitching about it and do something.

I agree.

I'm sure the guides worked very hard to put this event together for our benefit and I believe it could have been a good one. The server problem is unfortunate, but I for one do appreciate their efforts :)

Hodo
05-14-2012, 07:49 AM
I agree.

I'm sure the guides worked very hard to put this event together for our benefit and I believe it could have been a good one. The server problem is unfortunate, but I for one do appreciate their efforts :)

This is true. But honestly I cant ever hold the guides or moderators responsible for failures of code or hardware on a server side.

I hope they fix these issues before the trial welcome back period. If they dont, it will be the death of Xsyon.

joexxxz
05-14-2012, 05:02 PM
.... Many players or tribes dont like me or my tribe. That's politics. It creates drama and a dynamic player environment. When a guide tells your tribe or members they cant attack another tribe or player for no real reason, or a guide prevents PVP because of their personal views on the topic. There are major issues. When guides hand out loot, or items to players because they "like them" or they feel they need them to help vs another tribe, there are issues.

Agree on that one.

Guides giving out master QL weapons, armor, tools etc to players that are new to the game, it breaks down the game economy and effects how players will play.

Whats wrong that a new player got a reward if he/she won the reward???

This is true. But honestly I cant ever hold the guides or moderators responsible for failures of code or hardware on a server side.

I hope they fix these issues before the trial welcome back period. If they dont, it will be the death of Xsyon.

NO it WONT.