PDA

View Full Version : Yes, another "is this for me." topics.

sefer
06-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Briefly saw your game mentioned, took a quick glance and it looks decent, the concept sounds enjoyable... But without a 1 day free trial I cannot be sure.. So Heres some questions... A little background information. I have played 100s of games for many years names, constantly going game to game because they could only entertain me for so long before I'd get bored of them.. Pretty much after the first 30 or so, I would only play the games for a few days/2 weeks tops before abandoning it forever... I am a very very picky person.

1. With the recession and troubling times the world is in right now, along with P2P players becoming disgruntled, many large named mmo companies have been adopting free 2 play standards for their games to stay alive. (while having subs for benefits like better chances of loot or more exp etc, etc,) Why did you decide to go with 40$ + 15$ per month after charges? And why no limited free trial? (which many mmos use to grab undecided players who are daunted by seeing a rental price tag on a game.)

2. What sets your game apart from the others out there today?

I ask those questions first because I am a bit taken back by a few things I instantly noticed.. (these being the things that are scaring me away from the game.) From what I am seeing (correct me if I am wrong.) there is no free trial... Your instantly charged 40 dollars as if purchasing a solid, physical game. And then your charged 15$ per month. (one of the highest charges for largely populated, advertised mmorpgs on the market currently.)
Normally games go with 1 or the other.. You seem to have decided to go with both???

Sorry, id really like to ask other questions but.. I still can't get over that huge price. Uh..

Alright I remember now. 1. There are several other sandbox type games out there, 1 of which is actually highly similar to this game, its quite older however... (not saying the name just in case im not allowed too..) The one thing I hated about the game though, was that doing things took forever.. Ie: Say you want to mine... Better go start mining then, so you go and start chipping away at the rock.... 1 hour later you manage to remove some of the rock. Thats where I ended that game, I didn't feel like spending days clicking mine 1million times just to get a single chunk of iron... So! How fast would you say gathering takes? Am I going to be able to chop down and tree and get wood from said tree within a few seconds or a minute? Or am I going to be spending an entire real day attempting to gather 1 friggen thing? (this comparison is done between 2 dif sandbox games, 1 of which is entirely composed of blocks where gathering things take only a mere few seconds to gather something)

2. Hows the combat and rpg elements in the game? The main thing I felt missing in those other games (especially the blocky game) was the rpg element... They focused too much on creativity, and not enough on the rpg gameplay. Are there many monsters/animals to interact with? (blocky game has a total of like.. 5-6 things... -_-)

3. How are the equipment and items? I mean... if you could compare it to another game out there, which one would you say its most similar too? (lets see if I can give you an example without mention game names....) Are loot finds logical, or fantasy? Ie: If I kill a bear, am I going to find coins and maybe rings, swords, etc. Or am I going to find fur and meat, always and only, fur and meat. (ie does things also have a rare loot table? Or is it pretty much... You get what you see every time?)
And is your loot unique? (3 dif categories for this such as:) category 1: simply realistic: Bronze, iron, steel, damage only varies depending on material its made out of. category 2: Fantasy: bronze, iron, steel, elven, meteorite metals, etc, Damage varies depending on material its made from, plus it can have enchantments on them that dish out different effects such as slows, extra damage, extra elemental damage, stat boosting properties, etc. Or Category 3: Same as 1 or 2, but all stats are random. Ie: No two iron swords are the same. 1 might have +5 damage and 34 durability, and another might have +8 damage and 41 durability, and another might have +2 damage and 20 durability.. Highly randomized numbers.

4. Is there a Stamina system. Also known as, every facebook game in existance, and every game in china (or somewhere down there.) IE: A system designed into the game that forces players to stop doing something for long periods of time, usually an entire day. If your answer is yes, don't bother answering anything else, I will never touch this game. I am American, and absolutely oppose forceful time limitations, no matter what the reasoning is, I object to any and all things that try to tell me how long I can do something for. Thats for me to decide, and not some stranger.

5. You mention characters age 9 years per 1 real year... This to me sounds like a perma death will be a feature later on... Or some kind of bad effects will happen as your character gets considerably older and past his "prime".. What can you say about this?

5. Whats the population like? Because with building games such as these... They thrive with population.. And for some reason I am gettin the feeling the price has... not had a pleasant impact on attracting a high population.

6. My last question... And yet most often repeated.. Why such a high cost? I mean.. 40 dollars initially? They do that for new, physical, games because their not charging monthly... And their not charging monthly because their not being charged for hosting a server... So seriously, what were you guys thinking when you came up with these prices, and do you have any plans to change them?

tomduril
06-09-2012, 03:46 AM
Without beeing impolite ... but I guess (and also has been proven) that the cause for the 40$ is also to keep people away that state things like that:

I have played 100s of games for many years names, constantly going game to game because they could only entertain me for so long before I'd get bored of them..

This forum is full of posts like - make a trial/make it cheaper ... but Xsyon has keept its price polices. And I am happy with that. This is a true sandbox game - meaning every action changes something in the world - so if you mess up the environment, best you atleast pay for it :P

Willowhawk
06-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Rather than trying to answer what I think will be a waste of time, I would say this game is clearly not for you. It's a true sandbox and from everything you wrote you won't enjoy what this game has to offer. Good luck finding that game that will keep you, but I wouldn't hold my breath :D

The free trial has been brought up many times. Rather than repeating it here is one of the more recent threads http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/8306-Just-got-told-about-this-game-by-a-friend-of-mine.

sefer
06-09-2012, 05:48 PM
soo... your saying it takes hours to do something? Orr... theres a stamina system where I can only do so much a day? Or... ???

edit: Nevermind, googled and found someone comparing it to exactly which games I was talking about, and sure enough it is indeed long like 1 of them.

joexxxz
06-09-2012, 06:52 PM
No, it doesnt take to do a whole day. All actions are pretty quick.

Willowhawk
06-10-2012, 09:01 AM
soo... your saying it takes hours to do something? Orr... theres a stamina system where I can only do so much a day? Or... ???

edit: Nevermind, googled and found someone comparing it to exactly which games I was talking about, and sure enough it is indeed long like 1 of them.

No actually if you cut a tree it falls in a mater of seconds. You then can cut it into logs which also takes about a few to maybe 15 seconds if you have low logging skill. If you want a rock you simply sand over rock and pick one up. And stamina (Energy) regenerates very fast, and even faster if you lie down. From Zero to full for me takes about a minute and can last indefinite depending what you do. Sprinting will drain it quicker. Loot is logical. You have to kill and skin animals for their body parts. Everything else is player made and the materials are found by scavenging through garbage piles or gathering from nature. Raising crafting skills? Yes it takes a very long time and a lot of grinding.

No my point was your claim to have played 100s of games over the years and never satisfied with any of them. Then you ask us to sell you on a game I believe you will not be satisfied with simply because this is a true sandbox, and it has a long way to go before it can ever be called completed (since by definition it is ever evolving) and by your own description you are very picky. So if we sell you on this game and you don't like it, then all we have gained is one more negative poster on the forum. :rolleyes:

I've been playing Xsyon for over a year and continue to support it NOT because it is polished, but because it is unique. It allows me to be creative like no other MMO I've played. Think more on the lines of Mindcraft. I play Xsyon because I am so sick of the cookie cutter WOW clones I could puke. And Xsyon is one of the few sandbox MMOs out there today that hasn't gone under do to poor finances or lack of ambition. Every true sandbox I have played and loved is gone today. And I play Xsyon because "I" enjoy it.

Just my opinion. :)

Wait for it.... wait.... (negative fanboy remarks and game bashing will commence shortly)

ryanargu
06-15-2012, 04:17 AM
What sets your game apart from the others out there today?

Good question. Mainly the sandbox element, Xsyon not being a clone and the mods being passionate about the game.

Hows the combat and rpg elements in the game? The main thing I felt missing in those other games (especially the blocky game) was the rpg element... They focused too much on creativity, and not enough on the rpg gameplay. Are there many monsters/animals to interact with? (blocky game has a total of like.. 5-6 things... -_-)

The combat is extremely twitchy and 2 dimensional, but with some practice you can out technique opponents.
As for RPG, this game gives me a shiver up my spine when I sneak through a dense forest at night, wondering what that thud you just heard behind you was. Makes you pause and look around. Being ambushed by several different animals will give you nightmares (Animals are hard to kill if you are not ready).

What's the population like? Because with building games such as these... They thrive with population.. And for some reason I am gettin the feeling the price has... not had a pleasant impact on attracting a high population.

You're right, population is low, but the quality of the population is high.

Xsyon certainly is not for everyone..
1. Xsyon is different. I think different is what the gaming industry needs right now. Unless you're looking forward to the next 10 releases of COD? :p
2. Xsyon is difficult. Most players will help if you ask, but you are pretty much on your own unless you join a tribe..
3. Xsyon is a grind. Plucking grass, stacking it up, turning it into thread, then into twine.. can be very boring.
4. Xsyon can be cruel. You can spend 4 hours collecting animal remains then get PK'd on your way back to camp and lose it all.
5. Xsyon is not for elitists, trolls or griefers. There were many of these at launch, they are all but gone. Elitists are 'too good for the game'. Trolls have no food and get bored. Griefers found out they could only change the land they own and were pissed off.