PDA

View Full Version : I am a Hunter/Gatherer and Crafter type of player

Kunra
05-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Can someone convince me that the Open World PvP aspect of this game won't interfere with what I enjoy doing? Ie, hunting and gathering for hours at a time.

I have seen folks talk about the "consequences" of "ganking" in PvP but I am still not sure the folks this game seems to be trying to cater too will enjoy playing.

In my experience, Crafters and Open World PvP just, simply, do not work well together.

I see a game that appears to target the Crafter/PvE crowd yet forces PvP with the Open World PvP aspect.

I am Pre-Ordering this game and will give it a chance but the first few time I end up "ganked" in 1 evenings worth of play time. Consider me gone with my sub and cash.

Shirk
05-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Kunra wrote:

I am Pre-Ordering this game and will give it a chance but the first few time I end up "ganked" in 1 evenings worth of play time. Consider me gone with my sub and cash.

So join a tribe and gather with others or be prepared to eventually get killed and quit.

Kunra
05-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Shirk wrote:

Kunra wrote:

So join a tribe and gather with others or be prepared to eventually get killed and quit.

Yeah, thats the type of post that will garner interest based on what the game advertised itself to be.

Your an idiot.

necoo
05-01-2010, 10:02 PM
first off... don't be an idiot... if you are going to be gathering materials and all that be sure to pay attention to your surroundings... also it would be wise to not to go out for hours on end, but rather returning to your town or tribe every hour or so to store whatever you find and gather. also just watching out for other players will not be enough im sure that even npc will be capable of defeating you... and i don't think that they will simply ignore you like they would in most other games. also this game world is ever expanding and will become quite vast if you are exploring or trying to find new areas with materials it is unlikely that you will find someone who wants to kill you as the people who thirst for blood would most likely go to areas that they are more likely to find someone that has good stuff on them to kill. anyway this is an open pvp world... if you can't fight you will eventually get killed and lose whatever you may have... assuming the one who killed you can carry everything that you have... of course if you just get knocked unconscious you will only lose one item

Kunra
05-01-2010, 10:05 PM
necoo wrote:

first off... don't be an idiot... if you are going to be gathering materials and all that be sure to pay attention to your surroundings... also it would be wise to not to go out for hours on end, but rather returning to your town or tribe every hour or so to store whatever you find and gather. also just watching out for other players will not be enough im sure that even npc will be capable of defeating you... and i don't think that they will simply ignore you like they would in most other games. also this game world is ever expanding and will become quite vast if you are exploring or trying to find new areas with materials it is unlikely that you will find someone who wants to kill you as the people who thirst for blood would most likely go to areas that they are more likely to find someone that has good stuff on them to kill. anyway this is an open pvp world... if you can't fight you will eventually get killed and lose whatever you may have... assuming the one who killed you can carry everything that you have... of course if you just get knocked unconscious you will only lose one item

And another person who has 0 concept of what it means to actually make this game survive.

Shirk
05-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Kunra wrote:

Your an idiot.

Say what you want, but whining and name calling makes you look so much better...

You read the list of features in the game. You know PvP is included, yet you huff and puff about not liking it and don't want it to be in the game. I read your thread on the mmorpg forum about how you want PvP removed so you will play. Now you come on here threatening to leave after getting ganked before even playing.

necoo
05-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

And another person who has 0 concept of what it means to actually make this game survive.
don't be an arrogant asshole... i just gave you a good list of things you can do to survive in this game... if you are unwilling to put effort into whatever you are doing then you shouldn't be playing games in the first place, find a more constructive use of your time or sit back and relax as you stuff your face full of popcorn growing ever fatter as you continue to relax in front of the tv.

Kunra
05-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Shirk wrote:

Kunra wrote:

Your an idiot.

Say what you want, but whining and name calling makes you look so much better...

You read the list of features in the game. You know PvP is included, yet you huff and puff about not liking it and don't want it to be in the game. I read your thread on the mmorpg forum about how you want PvP removed so you will play. Now you come on here threatening to leave after getting ganked before even playing.

You think I am the only one? You think I am a minority thinking all aspects of this game are great except for the Open World PvP?

Do you really think this game will actually prosper and be PROFITABLE based on the Open World PvP aspect of the game?

Yeah, right.

necoo
05-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Kunra wrote:

Shirk wrote:

Kunra wrote:

Your an idiot.

You think I am the only one? You think I am a minority thinking all aspects of this game are great except for the Open World PvP?

Do you really think this game will actually prosper and be PROFITABLE based on the Open World PvP aspect of the game?

Yeah, right.

dark fall is doing fine so why not

Kunra
05-01-2010, 10:20 PM
necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

don't be an arrogant asshole... i just gave you a good list of things you can do to survive in this game... if you are unwilling to put effort into whatever you are doing then you shouldn't be playing games in the first place, find a more constructive use of your time or sit back and relax as you stuff your face full of popcorn growing ever fatter as you continue to relax in front of the tv.

It's not arrogants, it's common sense.

Shirk
05-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm not going to try arguing with you since you already seem to believe that all your opinions are correct and that you speak for the majority of the player base. However, you keep getting hung up on the open world PvP thing like it's going to be similar to Darkfall or other FFA PvP centric games, which we've already been told Xsyon won't be.

necoo
05-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

common sense is only common sense if it is common

Kunra
05-01-2010, 10:23 PM
necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

Shirk wrote:

Kunra wrote:

Your an idiot.

Yeah, right.

dark fall is doing fine so why not

Are you kidding me?

Natedagreat
05-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Kunra wrote:

Shirk wrote:

Kunra wrote:

Your an idiot.

Yeah, right.

1. yes
2.Yes
3. Yes

Have faith in this game. Open world pvp really is the ONLY kind of pvp.

Also it is not simply OPEN pvp. There are some restrictions.

The pvp aspect is based on a number of things...looting is the biggest things restricting this open world pvp.

This is all from what i gathered, it is subject to change/misinformation but this is what i heard.

1. there will be a timer on looting for some so that allies could loot your body before the instigator.
2. You can only loot based on a number of things (full loot on warring tribes) (can set it to 1 peice of loot between tribes also i think)
3. In the prelude i believe there will be safezones, which the prelude will account for a long time and what comes next could easily change.

Instead of flaming someones suggestions please just use your brain and don't hit submit.

Kunra
05-01-2010, 10:24 PM
necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Wow...simply..wow.

necoo
05-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Wow...simply..wow.
what... you know its true

Natedagreat
05-01-2010, 10:30 PM
necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Wow...simply..wow.

why do i get the sense this is the same person arguing with him/herself pointlessly over nothing to get a few extra post counts?

Farmerbob
05-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Whether or not open world PVP works is entirely dependent on how it is implemented.

I play another game, Wurm, which has open world PVP. The graphics are much cruder than Xsyon, but in a lot of ways is it similar, even superior to what Xsyon will likely be at release - it's been around a while with lots of features and depth that have been added over time. Open world PVP works fine in Wurm on the Wild server. As long as you either set up your home in a out of the way place, or settle in an established community, you are rarely exposed to PVP because it takes for friggin ever to find the hiders, and attacking a town with decent fighters in it is a long and drawn out affair. Days, or even weeks, for a well defended town to be worn down.

It remains to be seen how well terraforming and village defenses stack up against terraforming and siegers in Xsyon. It remains to be seen how large of a bloodletter community is drawn here.

If you want to be in the center of things, AND be a crafter, you are almost certainly going to need to join a strong faction that can protect you mostly by reputation. A strong faction will need strong crafters to manufacture the goodies required to beat on their enemies and build their fortifications.

Don't write off the game if you get ganked a couple times. You likely will while the community settles in and people learn the fighting system and start crafting skill gains for weapons and armor. If the people you work with can't offer protection after a couple weeks of live, at that point you will probably want to either take up pvp skills to protect yourself as best as you can, or seek out a stronger PVP group that needs your crafting skills and is willing to put up with a carebear in their midst. :laugh:

necoo
05-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Natedagreat wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Wow...simply..wow.

why do i get the sense this is the same person arguing with him/herself pointlessly over nothing to get a few extra post counts?
that... would be pointless... i already have over 100... besides i don't really care about things like that

Kunra
05-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Natedagreat wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Wow...simply..wow.

Dont look at me Nate, your the only one so far to actually tried to convince me based on the Topic.

Some folks just seem to want to post because they can, whether or not if they should.

necoo
05-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Kunra wrote:

Natedagreat wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Wow...simply..wow.

Dont look at me Nate, your the only one so far to actually tried to convince me based on the Topic.

Some folks just seem to want to post because they can, whether or not if they should.

you asked us to convince you that open pvp world will not interfere with what you like to do... what you asked was imposable because open world pvp will interfere with what you like to do. regardless if you ever get killed by anyone or not your actions will still be influenced by the risk of the open world pvp. by telling you ways to avoid interactions with pvpers i was, in effect, demonstrating how you would be effected by the game mechanics of this game's pvp aspects... perhaps i should have explained this earlier... however something like this shouldn't be too hard for someone to connect the dots as it were

Natedagreat
05-01-2010, 10:51 PM
necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

Natedagreat wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Wow...simply..wow.

you asked us to convince you that open pvp world will not interfere with what you like to do... what you asked was imposable because open world pvp will interfere with what you like to do. regardless if you ever get killed by anyone or not your actions will still be influenced by the risk of the open world pvp. by telling you ways to avoid interactions with pvpers i was, in effect, demonstrating how you would be effected by the game mechanics of this game's pvp aspects... perhaps i should have explained this earlier... however something like this shouldn't be too hard for someone to connect the dots as it were

dude no one here is a retard, you don't need to tell anyone "how to avoid pvpers". You basically just wasted my time by posting this bologna.

To get things settled:
1. World pvp = GOOD
2. world pvp = somewhat limited by other factors
3. World pvp = depends on how it is implemented exactly to ensure its success.

Have a good night.

necoo
05-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Natedagreat wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

Natedagreat wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Wow...simply..wow.

dude no one here is a retard, you don't need to tell anyone "how to avoid pvpers". You basically just wasted my time by posting this bologna.

To get things settled:
1. World pvp = GOOD
2. world pvp = somewhat limited by other factors
3. World pvp = depends on how it is implemented exactly to ensure its success.

Have a good night.

well this entire thread was a wast of time to begin with... if someone would just look around a bit they would find everything that was said in this thread some where else on this forum with ease

Largion
05-02-2010, 05:39 AM
lol why is everyone feeding Kunra?

Jadzia
05-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Kunra wrote:

Can someone convince me that the Open World PvP aspect of this game won't interfere with what I enjoy doing? Ie, hunting and gathering for hours at a time.

I have seen folks talk about the "consequences" of "ganking" in PvP but I am still not sure the folks this game seems to be trying to cater too will enjoy playing.

In my experience, Crafters and Open World PvP just, simply, do not work well together.

I see a game that appears to target the Crafter/PvE crowd yet forces PvP with the Open World PvP aspect.

What you have to see about this game that it attracts 2 type of players. Some of them comes here for the open PvP (most of them are ex-Darkfall players or still plays that), some of them because of the exploring-building-crafting features. PvPers seem to be interested in PvP only, many of them stated that they don't plan to do anything else in the game. The other type of players are eager to see and try all of the features in the game. I do have hope that PvPers will fall in love with other features too, and will realize that PvP isn't the only source of fun.

So far its clear that the developers don't want a PvP focused game. They created a great deep game, dumbing it down to PvP focused would be a huge waste of their efforts.

Some posts from the developers to convince you :

Xsyon ( main developer) wrote:

There should be enough in place for the game to not turn into a gankfest. The intention of Xsyon is to be a fun, open, sandbox game with possibilities for all kinds of players. If the game starts to get thrown off balance by gankers, the balance will shift. Simple as that.

Ideally, we would have one well balanced world, where most PVP is friendly sparring (not resulting in death) and where evil players really feel like game 'monsters' but with better, unpredictable AI.

Totally, a good system will make it so there are a few evils, a bit more antis and everyone else in the middle.
Yes, this is the goal and if things don't seem balanced enough at first, we will adjust the system to achieve this goal.

Virtus wrote:

indeed, the idea of combat mode is to allow those who want to run away to do so.

This game, while it has PVP, is not PVP focused. The idea is to form a balance for the two.

Why not take more energy? Running and swinging a club will surely tire you out quiet quickly. If this is not liked then have it use both the energy loss of running and the energy loss of combat.

The idea is not so that crafters can run away but also other fighters should they wish.

If the fighter thinks he will run out of energy before taking out his prey then maybe he should not pursue. It would only be the fighters own fault if he ran out of energy, just like it would in any real melee combat.
I suggest you to read this thread too, very good informations there:
http://xsyon.com/forums/7-public-support/16083-very-long-4-questions-for-jooky

PvP is being reworked now, but the developers' original goal to keep the game balanced and free from griefing-ganking hasn't changed.
And don't give up on the game for being killed once or twice :) The game needs time to get balanced and settled down, give it time to see if its for you.

Iron Maiden
05-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Please tell me this is some sort of giant troll.

pid73
05-02-2010, 08:40 AM
In fact many people have done the error to come here and think this would be another DF or MO clone and when they realize the truth about this game and how PvP works they get mostly angry because of their repressed aggressiveness.

No trolling here.

Iron Maiden
05-02-2010, 08:45 AM
If you read above the only anger i see is from a PvE/crafter raging saying they will quit after getting killed once or twice, that's the only anger i see here.

It's funny because last I've heard it was fairly easy to catch up to someone in PvP.. Think it had to do with how combat mode is the same as any other movements now.

Jadzia
05-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Iron Maiden wrote:

If you read above the only anger i see is from a PvE/crafter raging saying they will quit after getting killed once or twice, that's the only anger i see here.

It's funny because last I've heard it was fairly easy to catch up to someone in PvP.. Think it had to do with how combat mode is the same as any other movements now.
No trolling, all of those posts were written by Jordi and Virtus. Or you mean they were trolling their own game ?
And I think PvP is broken right now, the last thing I've read was that if someone's health drops under 30% the server crashes. Thats a harsh solution to avoid PKing !!! (jk lol)

Iron Maiden
05-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Lol that would stink, i don't think that's the case really i'm usually in vent when iLLmaculate kills someone - unless they die at 30% and the server crashes for the person that gets wrecked.

There are also posts about how combat mode has been changed and PvP needed re-working so i guess we won't really know until the game comes out eh?

Jadzia
05-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Iron Maiden wrote:

Lol that would stink, i don't think that's the case really i'm usually in vent when iLLmaculate kills someone - unless they die at 30% and the server crashes for the person that gets wrecked.

There are also posts about how combat mode has been changed and PvP needed re-working so i guess we won't really know until the game comes out eh?
Thats a question if the people try to get away from iLLmaculate or they stand to fight....but I agree with you, we won't really know how PvP really works till the games launches. So no need to worry before hand...from both sides. I preordered the game and the 2 months of free play will be during early prelude where the tribe areas will be safe zones...if after that period the game turns into a much more ganking one then I still got what I've paid for :)

But you should get ready to see a ganking-griefing free game too, if you want to avoid disappointement.

Iron Maiden
05-02-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm very interested in Crafting/Building myself - Just more into PvP
I plan on crafting/building my city up for the first few weeks...

I'm also into ganking, if towns are going to be safezones that's fine with me i don't need to gank helpless crafters.
I'll prob leave most tribe towns alone after prelude, unless of course i have something against the clan itself.. Worthless ganking is fun but if it's going to make the game play change i'd rather have wars with 1 clan and just grief them and hopefully they will fight back.

pid73
05-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Iron Maiden wrote:

ANY sandbox game makes not much sense without a kind of PvP or way to "influence" other players against their will. This is so, because you have to "risk" something in order to be able to "win".

How tell the difference if there is no risk?
I hope PvP will be good... not absent!

Ajax
05-02-2010, 09:25 AM
If this is the same Kunra from Fallen Earth then my answer is...

Yes going to be a major gankfeft. They actually reward you here for ganking with special items and titles and sometimes brownies. People who play the "ganker" class have several special abilities such as the /grief and /camp commands to make the victims life hell..

You shouldn't play this game.

(Kunra from fallen earth was a whiny baby who did nothing but post ont he forums rando stupid troll threads complaining about the game day in and day out. We would be better off as a community without him here defaming the game and trying to twist everything about the game to meet his personal expectations)

Iron Maiden
05-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Thank you.

pid73
05-02-2010, 09:32 AM
I don't think the game will be adapted to any one single poster here. The devs have quite a clear idea about how this game should turn out.
They listen to the community for some things (UI and such) but not for all things.

Iron Maiden
05-02-2010, 09:34 AM
pid73 wrote:

I don't think the game will be adapted to any one single poster here. The devs have quite a clear idea about how this game should turn out.
They listen to the community for some things (UI and such) but not for all things.

Yup they listen to the community, just look at combat mode :)

Birdmon
05-02-2010, 09:48 AM
In UO (years ago) PvP on a crafter/harvester was fun. As a miner I could protect myself with invis, then dart past him when he ran past. Even if he ganked me all he got was a pick and raw ore - I mined in my underwear.
As a crafter/harvester we will adapt.

Arcturus
05-02-2010, 10:02 AM
I am a current DF player and have been playing it from release as a crafter/Gatherer. The last seven months of that has been solo. I am attracted to Xsyon because of the combination of crafting and world PvP. Simply because pvp/crafting games tend to have decay on items.
There is no point playing as a crafter if I make someone some armor and it never breaks or can't be stolen. World pvp games in this context provides me with repeat custom. I'm also ok with getting my ass handed to me.

Alfred
05-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Iron Maiden wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Jadzia
05-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Iron Maiden wrote:

I'm very interested in Crafting/Building myself - Just more into PvP
I plan on crafting/building my city up for the first few weeks...

I'm also into ganking, if towns are going to be safezones that's fine with me i don't need to gank helpless crafters.
I'll prob leave most tribe towns alone after prelude, unless of course i have something against the clan itself.. Worthless ganking is fun but if it's going to make the game play change i'd rather have wars with 1 clan and just grief them and hopefully they will fight back.
I really like your attitude.
Personally I think that ganking might be fun for some players, but it has much more drawbacks than advantages, it hurts the game and the community too, it scares away peaceful type of players, and a game is much better if its community is not one-sided but more diverse.

Jadzia
05-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Alfred wrote:

Iron Maiden wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
Lol really, I quoted the developers word by word, its not my fault if you had a wrong impression of the game or simply you didn't read about it.

Arcturus
05-02-2010, 10:54 AM
I was under the impression it was the OP that was being accused of being a troll.

Iron Maiden
05-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Arcturus wrote:

I was under the impression it was the OP that was being accused of being a troll.

That's correct.

Jadzia
05-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Iron Maiden wrote:

Arcturus wrote:

That's correct.
In this case I misread it, sorry :)

Birdmon
05-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Iron Maiden wrote:

Arcturus wrote:

That's correct.

I don't think hes a troll. Its a good question, I for one dont want to get ganked all the time - does anyone? We will find ways to protect or run.

Iron Maiden
05-02-2010, 11:10 AM
"I am Pre-Ordering this game and will give it a chance but the first few time I end up "ganked" in 1 evenings worth of play time. Consider me gone with my sub and cash."

That's a little much, seriously go play hello kitty island adventure or something.

Arcturus
05-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Birdmon wrote:

Iron Maiden wrote:

Arcturus wrote:

That's correct.

I don't think hes a troll. Its a good question, I for one dont want to get ganked all the time - does anyone? We will find ways to protect or run.

They might no be a troll, this was why I phrased it the way I did.

I don't want to get ganked constantly. But the OP seems unwilling to even try to find out how to better prepare for the inevitable. It would appear they instead would prefer the game to be changed.

Ciik
05-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Iron Maiden wrote:

Arcturus wrote:

That's correct.

Heh. Wouldn't be surprised.

gregulate
05-02-2010, 04:00 PM
I like the idea of all aspects of this game. I don't consider myself a ganker but I enjoy pvp against an enemy even if its a crafter/gatherer. My thought is that I don't want to just let my enemy gather/craft freely and get stronger than me.

Sometimes people are fighting over a specific location where they want to kill the mobs or gather and will kill an enemy over and over as a way of saying this is my area go somewhere else. This is fine with me. If it happens to me then I will leave the area but I will work harder to get my revenge.

Kunra
05-02-2010, 08:57 PM
I really need to stop posting when drinking...

That said, I see a few posts in this thread that, somewhat show, those who don't participate in PvP will have "issues".

To those that want to compare this game to Darkfall, seriously?

Last I saw, Darkfall isn't braking any records. Darkfall had some major money backing it. Darkfall had Years to advertise it's creation via the various MMO forums across the interwebs during development. Far as I know, this game was just announced 2 months ago(I may be wrong on that if forums changed).

Look, folks, i'm not a bad guy nor a troll. I simply see a game I WANT to play based on what it says it offers.

I have seen a couple folks in this thread already state, they will kill me if they see me, regardless whether I am a threat or not(ingame of course) for no other reason then they can and they enjoy it.

You don't think that's a problem?

Tell me a Crafter trying to defend himself out in the wilds actually has a chance to, then I will change opinion. All games I have ever played force Crafters to be gimped in combat skills. Is that the case here?

Really, what this post is about is survivability ingame for Crafters.

Also bear in mind folks, without those Crafters, you PvP/Combat types won't have much to wear or wield.

Farmerbob
05-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I will tell you that there is a hiding skill. I don't know how well it works though.

Diocletian
05-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Even without a hiding skill, you can expect to be able to run away if you are smart about when and how.

Kunra
05-02-2010, 09:13 PM
At Farmer and Dio, what you say may work but how often this happens directly affects a crafters playability.

Will I spend 5 mins a day running away or an hour running away during a 3-4 hour play session?

That's the question Crafters types need to know.

Diocletian
05-02-2010, 09:18 PM
It depends on how long your going to be pursued by your would be assassin.

Kunra
05-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Diocletian wrote:

Considering what I have read about Inventory items having "weight" and slowing you down(unless you drop your inventory and lose an hours worth of play time), how long i'm chased doesn't matter if I lose everything I have been working for.

Relandi
05-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Kunra wrote:

Diocletian wrote:

Considering what I have read about Inventory items having "weight" and slowing you down(unless you drop your inventory and lose an hours worth of play time), how long i'm chased doesn't matter if I lose everything I have been working for.

Perhaps it would do you better to find some protection while gathering, or even gathering in a group to put off any would be attackers.

The world is not a safe haven, and it never will be.

If you're aware enough, though, it should be more than easy enough to avoid approaching enemies. (especially considering there is 0 ranged damage)

Your question in an earlier post about it being a problem that people will kill you flat out, with no valid reason .. I say no, that is not a problem, that is Xsyon, you get both sides of the sphere here.

Kunra
05-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Relandi wrote:

Kunra wrote:

Diocletian wrote:

Perhaps it would do you better to find some protection while gathering, or even gathering in a group to put off any would be attackers.

If you're aware enough, though, it should be more than easy enough to avoid approaching enemies. (especially considering there is 0 ranged damage)

I was hoping someone would post something like this. Your statement about "protection" is something I have seen in everysingle MMO that has Crafters lacking in combat skills.

Here's the difference, in most of those games,Crafters are forced to agther for HOURS everysingle night to be ABLE to craft becuase of varying loot tables.

You willing to "protect" me 3-4 hours every night while I gather and craft?

Okie
05-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Kunra wrote:

Relandi wrote:

Kunra wrote:

Diocletian wrote:

I was hoping someone would post something like this. Your statement about "protection" is something I have seen in everysingle MMO that has Crafters lacking in combat skills.

Here's the difference, in most of those games,Crafters are forced to agther for HOURS everysingle night to be ABLE to craft becuase of varying loot tables.

I sure would ;)

Farmerbob
05-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Kunra - I only know of two places in the MMO world where there is good crafting, and NO PVP.

Horizons (now Istaria) has a nice crafting system, you can even play a dragon, and the last I heard there was no pvp.

Wurm Online, on the Freedom Server NOT the Wild server is also PVP free except duelling.

The thing is that the most active crafting communities are attached to PVP because people lose stuff. Some games have damage to equipment, etc.

If you want the most active crafting, and you want to be part of a community where your skills are needed rather than just being something nice to have around, then you need PVP and Crafting.

But you won't be able to go wandering around solo doing whatever you want in a PVP world because the same people that make your skills useful also make such behavior unhealthy.

You cannot have the best of both worlds. Period. Complete independence as a crafter and actual need for your services simply do not mix well. You will need to compromise.

This is coming from someone who sucks at PVP and would honestly love exactly what you are looking for, but I can tell you that in several years looking, I haven't found it yet, and I have come to the realization I never will.

This is not meant as an insult, it's a wake-up call. You will either work with other people to keep yourself safe in the face of enemy threat, OR you will have no enemy threat, and fellow players will have far less need of your skills.

Relandi
05-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Kunra wrote:

If you were part of my clan, and it were benefiting the group as a whole, and not just yourself? Fuck yeah, I would.

This is common place in the clans/guilds, whatever you want to call them, that I've been in..

However, losses will happen, if you don't like it, then I don't know what to suggest to you. There is no way to promise you no loss of items without turning this game into bubblegum crap, IMO, of course.

Also - The soft cap will only apply to groups of skills, if I am understanding it correct. Which means those who dedicate themselves to crafting, will still have the ability to refine their defensive/offensive skills without it hampering their crafting ability, which should be no problem for you if you can manage 3-4 hours every night.

Kunra
05-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Farmerbob wrote:

Kunra - I only know of two places in the MMO world where there is good crafting, and NO PVP.

Horizons (now Istaria) has a nice crafting system, you can even play a dragon, and the last I heard there was no pvp.

Wurm Online, on the Freedom Server NOT the Wild server is also PVP free except duelling.

The thing is that the most active crafting communities are attached to PVP because people lose stuff. Some games have damage to equipment, etc.

If you want the most active crafting, and you want to be part of a community where your skills are needed rather than just being something nice to have around, then you need PVP and Crafting.

But you won't be able to go wandering around solo doing whatever you want in a PVP world because the same people that make your skills useful also make such behavior unhealthy.

You cannot have the best of both worlds. Period. Complete independence as a crafter and actual need for your services simply do not mix well. You will need to compromise.

This is coming from someone who sucks at PVP and would honestly love exactly what you are looking for, but I can tell you that in several years looking, I haven't found it yet, and I have come to the realization I never will.

This is not meant as an insult, it's a wake-up call. You will either work with other people to keep yourself safe in the face of enemy threat, OR you will have no enemy threat, and fellow players will have far less need of your skills.

Farmer,what you and I want once existed. It was Pre-CU SWG economy/crafting system.

I just don't see a game that was designed around a Crafting system yet has Open World PvP and being Profitable.

PvP/Combat=decay=crafters are needed.

Open World PvP=fewer(or no crafters)=Lack of players=Fail.

necoo
05-02-2010, 10:16 PM
quit your winning. no matter what you say and no matter what you do this game will always have open world pvp. and just look around a bit... the majority of the guilds are crafting guilds. they are not scared of open world pvp. quite frankly i think it is more realistic to have open world pvp vs anything else... and yes i mean anything else. for example in the real world if you want to kill someone go right ahead... nothing can stop you, granted you will have to deal with the consequences after wards but nothing will stop you from taking such actions.

Farmerbob
05-02-2010, 10:19 PM
SWG pre combat update wasn't safe for me, I was a combat medic/doctor. Even though I did almost entirely PVE and intown stuff, I was ganked fairly regularly, though as a combat medic I was normally able to do a bit of mind poison and even won a couple fights by healing while my enemies brains rotted. I suppose pure crafters might have been pretty much untouchable unless they assisted someone else in a fight.

However, that game isn't around any more :(

Back to the topic though. Crafters in EVE do just fine, provided they understand their limits and don't try to be completely solo. The same thing in Wurm, on Wild. It all depends on how well the games are set up to be able to provide defenses to crafters who are part of a balanced mix of players.

Until we see more on how the PVP system in Xsyon works, it's just too early to tell, but I doubt it's going to be a carebear crafters' paradise. It might be close, but I would not hold your breath for it to be exactly what you want.

Kunra
05-02-2010, 10:20 PM
necoo wrote:

quit your winning. no matter what you say and no matter what you do this game will always have open world pvp. and just look around a bit... the majority of the guilds are crafting guilds. they are not scared of open world pvp. quite frankly i think it is more realistic to have open world pvp vs anything else... and yes i mean anything else. for example in the real world if you want to kill someone go right ahead... nothing can stop you, granted you will have to deal with the consequences after wards but nothing will stop you from taking such actions.

Lemme guess, your another Dev in disguise.

You think this games current incarantation can work, good for you,I don't.

Matter of opinion.

necoo
05-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Matter of opinion.

it matters not, your opinion. once the game mechanics have been set then they are set, you can not change them... this is because the game mechanics are the base upon which a game is built upon. for example if you build a tower then destroyed its base then the tower would also fall, in the same sense if you remove a portion of the game mechanics for example the pvp aspect of the game, then much of the game will also crash and burn... and the remaining game will be but a fragment of what it was. if you remove open pvp much of the worlds systems would fall apart and be force to also be removed. for example no more tribal wars, no more evil alignment and without evil there is no good so all in all alignment would be destroyed, and even tribal relations would be worthless. what you want would destroyed the game you first fell for.

oh and im no dev... just a random person

Veldern
05-02-2010, 11:05 PM
necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Matter of opinion.

it matters not, your opinion. once the game mechanics have been set then they are set, you can not change them... this is because the game mechanics are the base upon which a game is built upon. for example if you build a tower then destroyed its base then the tower would also fall, in the same sense if you remove a portion of the game mechanics for example the pvp aspect of the game, then much of the game will also crash and burn... and the remaining game will be but a fragment of what it was. if you remove open pvp much of the worlds systems would fall apart and be force to also be removed. for example no more tribal wars, no more evil alignment and without evil there is no good so all in all alignment would be destroyed, and even tribal relations would be worthless. what you want would destroyed the game you first fell for.

oh and im no dev... just a random person

Agreed, and if you want an example of this, SWG :(

JCatano
05-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Farmerbob wrote:However, that game isn't around any more :(

It's around. I've been playing the emu for a month or so. It's SWG up to patch 14...? When it was good. :)

Last time I logged in, there were 50+ people in Coronet alone. Once it releases for host-use, I can see it doing very well if the hosts are fair and legit.

gregulate
05-03-2010, 02:06 AM
I see this game being friendly to crafters because everything you use will be crafted and will need to be replaced eventually. If someone comes in the game and just starts ganking crafters, where is that person gonna buy their next set of equipment? People will talk and just not sell him stuff. Then 3 months down the line his worn out axe won't do anything to a finely crafted sword and armor set.

This game seems to be all about the group effort and the best tribes will have to keep the gatherers/crafters supported.

Actions of the individual are tracked with consequences. These have not been clearly defined but it sounds as if the devs will make adjustments if necessary to prevent this game from being a mindless gankfest. However tribes will go to war with eachother which means crafters will be casualties. Its like bombing an enemy railroad to prevent supplies getting to the front line fighters.

Largion
05-03-2010, 03:40 AM
Kunra is my idol now. He give them 2 sentence replyes and they feed him walls. :laugh:

Jadzia
05-03-2010, 05:24 AM
Kunra wrote:

Tell me a Crafter trying to defend himself out in the wilds actually has a chance to, then I will change opinion. All games I have ever played force Crafters to be gimped in combat skills. Is that the case here?

Really, what this post is about is survivability ingame for Crafters.

As far as we know right now, nothing stops you to level your combat skills even if you are a crafter. You will be able to defend yourself if you want to.

Sarg
05-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Just to be clear: I am as non-PvP as they get. I am a RP, craft-oriented player with few twitch skills (I have no interest in shooter games) who uses a high-latency air card to access the Internet and plays on a laptop using a touchpad.

Speaking as such, how realistic would a world be in which you can't be killed? Even in real life, the "game mechanics" don't stop you from shooting up a shopping mall or even your friend's party.

What stops you are the social consequences of doing so. Is it 100%? Heck no, people still get murdered all the time. It's true that in most games, the so-called "consequences" of attempted murder are pretty much limited to the victim killing his attacker. Fat chance, since the attacker chooses the battlefield, the timing and gets the initiative. Everything here seems to suggest they're going in a different direction - one of "maybe you get killed, but it's likely to cause more problems for the attacker than the victim".

Rage over a single death is a little silly, it's not like you don't magically resurrect a few moments later. I can see the concern if it becomes a common occurence, but the devs say they don't want that. For now, there's no reason not to have a little faith that they'll accomplish what they claim.