PDA

View Full Version : NPC clarification question



Kunra
05-02-2010, 09:42 PM
I read that a Dev said there are no NPC's ingame. Does this mean no NPC's to buy and sell stuff to or just no NPC's in the wild to kill?

Also, maybe I missed reading about it, what form of "currency" does this game have?

Relandi
05-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I believe there was mention of the in-game currency using USD to fit the Lake Tahoe setting - however whether this currency is the "accepted" one come game time, who knows. Some tribes may only accept scavenged drills, for all I know. I also cannot seem to find the post.. I'm guessing it was merged into another but I can't locate it.

As for NPC's - there will be NPC's in the wild (i.e animals, etc) however, there will be *none* to sell, buy, or give quests. (Totems will be used for player made quests)

Kunra
05-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Relandi wrote:

I believe there was mention of the in-game currency using USD to fit the Lake Tahoe setting - however whether this currency is the "accepted" one come game time, who knows. Some tribes may only accept scavenged drills, for all I know. I also cannot seem to find the post.. I'm guessing it was merged into another but I can't locate it.

As for NPC's - there will be NPC's in the wild (i.e animals, etc) however, there will be *none* to sell, buy, or give quests. (Totems will be used for player made quests)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is USD? United States Dollars?

necoo
05-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Kunra wrote:

Relandi wrote:

I believe there was mention of the in-game currency using USD to fit the Lake Tahoe setting - however whether this currency is the "accepted" one come game time, who knows. Some tribes may only accept scavenged drills, for all I know. I also cannot seem to find the post.. I'm guessing it was merged into another but I can't locate it.

As for NPC's - there will be NPC's in the wild (i.e animals, etc) however, there will be *none* to sell, buy, or give quests. (Totems will be used for player made quests)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is USD? United States Dollars?
obviously... lake Tahoe is in the US after all... in fact i could drive there if i felt like driving for 3 hours or so.

Relandi
05-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Kunra wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is USD? United States Dollars?

Correct, it is, as Lake Tahoe is in California, west coast of USA.

With the fact there are no NPC's to buy/sell from, there is no need for a common currency to be imposed by the developers. The USD might be in-game, but as I said, it might not even be used for anything more than decoration.

Virtus
05-02-2010, 10:28 PM
necoo wrote:


obviously... lake Tahoe is in the US after all... in fact i could drive there if i felt like driving for 3 hours or so.

obviously not obvious else he wouldn't of asked. If you don't have anything nice to say...

Kunra
05-02-2010, 10:28 PM
necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

Relandi wrote:

I believe there was mention of the in-game currency using USD to fit the Lake Tahoe setting - however whether this currency is the "accepted" one come game time, who knows. Some tribes may only accept scavenged drills, for all I know. I also cannot seem to find the post.. I'm guessing it was merged into another but I can't locate it.

As for NPC's - there will be NPC's in the wild (i.e animals, etc) however, there will be *none* to sell, buy, or give quests. (Totems will be used for player made quests)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is USD? United States Dollars?
obviously... lake Tahoe is in the US after all... in fact i could drive there if i felt like driving for 3 hours or so.

Terminology changes from game to game, but idiots dont and you have proven yourself to be one of those.

Laquila112
05-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Given the game background and setting I think beads or pebbles is a much more obvious form of currency. Especially when the developers want to expand the game into different regions using USD as a common currency would be much less obvious.

Question remains, do we need a developer based currency. I agree with Relandi on this. Because there are no NPC traders there is no need for game set prices and therefore a game set currency is not necessary. Most trade will start out as barter.

Of course when the community evolves and tribes and players start to specialize I expect some form of currency will develop naturally.

gregulate
05-03-2010, 02:18 AM
I read somewhere that everyone will start with $500 but I can't remember where so don't quote me on this.

I would actually prefer there was no set currency but it gets created at a tribal level and distributed through tribal quests at a very slow rate. It would be interesting to see how the economics of different tribes with different currencies develops.

Arcturus
05-03-2010, 04:07 AM
I vote bottle caps. Tho I've always been thinking in terms of barter system. If only for the way I'll be funding my endeavors.
Trading what I gather/craft for items I need myself. And round and round we go.

reubenmunro
05-03-2010, 04:21 AM
Don't forget tribe taxes, those people talking about Xsyon currency.

Laquila112
05-03-2010, 05:15 AM
I donít see how tribe taxes change the need for currency. Although I can see how introducing a simple currency would make things much more convenient.

I think it might be much better to incorporate the taxation within the tribal quest system.

Derek
05-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Kunra wrote:

necoo wrote:

Kunra wrote:

Relandi wrote:

I believe there was mention of the in-game currency using USD to fit the Lake Tahoe setting - however whether this currency is the "accepted" one come game time, who knows. Some tribes may only accept scavenged drills, for all I know. I also cannot seem to find the post.. I'm guessing it was merged into another but I can't locate it.

As for NPC's - there will be NPC's in the wild (i.e animals, etc) however, there will be *none* to sell, buy, or give quests. (Totems will be used for player made quests)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is USD? United States Dollars?
obviously... lake Tahoe is in the US after all... in fact i could drive there if i felt like driving for 3 hours or so.

Terminology changes from game to game, but idiots dont and you have proven yourself to be one of those.

Looks like we've got a new troll on the scene. This is the second thread I've read where you've insulted someone for no reason.

Kunra, this isn't forumfall. If you want to actually be a part of this community, you should change you're attitude quickly because these mods don't put up with immaturity for very long.

Virtus
05-03-2010, 06:31 AM
ok, we've all told him off, lets get back on topic

Alfred
05-03-2010, 07:16 AM
I'm betting a whole month of Xsyon subscription that Kunra will get banned himself from these forums during this month.

Virtus
05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
i said drop it!

Aliendra
05-07-2010, 04:36 PM
No imposed ingame currency seems like the way to go. Barter will be the most commonly used system at start i bet. At least in the tribe to tribe trade.

But someday... i would love to see how the system would grow if it'll be only controlled by the players.

But yeah... there is the issue of "tax". I wonder how they'll set that up in the game.

joexxxz
06-07-2010, 10:22 PM
My suggestion is for ingame currency: create a skill to create money. In order to do that, u need like 10 tribes or so to agreeing together for creating currency. Then the tribes can create a document of agreement. And then those 10 tribes can start making money for them selfs... Like a goverment or so...

Veldern
06-07-2010, 11:54 PM
I prefer the way I've been doing it. Just go to Zone 211 and ask about the golf club currency.

zasdman
06-08-2010, 01:39 AM
I think the barter system would work fine here. As far as taxes go... taxes would be an amount of trade goods.

Person "A" that is a scavenger would give the tribe part of what he scavenged. While person "B" that is a logger would give the tribe some of his logs... its not to hard to use the same barter system as tribe taxes.

Even non crafter/gathers can contribute by protecting the tribe and its members. Everything we do in game will be of some value; we just have to remember that making our tribe stronger benefits ourselves, and get out of the soloist mentality that most MMO's are catering to...

When you really think of it a tribe is a group of people that have come together for a common goal. so while there will be trading within the tribe members, the bulk of everything you do will be to make the tribe stronger.

You will always have tribes that find one material or service to have a higher worth. This is where trade between tribes comes in... one tribe offers protection to a purely crafting tribe...

zephar123
06-08-2010, 10:57 AM
at this point in game I like the barter system =). It also makes this game unique

Shrimps
06-10-2010, 12:53 AM
I would have to agree that any form of currencyin Xsyon would be seemingly useless.

The idea of modern day currency is that each note (coin,bill,check, etc,) represents something of value. If there was nothing left in the world, then the currency would be worthless.

For instance let's take the Dollar, one of the major reasons it's worth anything at all is because of gold buillion located in places like fort knox. And each bill basically represents a portion of that gold. The bill itself is worth less than regular paper, but what it represents is what makes it valuable.

The Templars were among the first to use notes, or bills as currency, travelers would turn in their gold before going to jerusalem so they were less likely to be robbed, and they would receive a piece of paper that represents the amount of gold they deposited and could be used as currency or turned in to a Templar "Bank" to retrieve their gold.

I could see an enterprising tribe developing a currency based on a stockpile of goods they maintain, but without npc's any form of developer introduced currency is pointless.

joexxxz
06-10-2010, 06:13 AM
I dont agree with u. For example what if I want to sell a stock pile of wood? So how would I do that then??? :unsure: If there is no form of money then how can we buy/sell etc... So my idea was this: A union of (10 or X) tribes or more, can create their own bank system with a stockpile. So they can buy commodity from players and give them some kind of money for that item. So the price can fluctuate, hense a stock market created :) I'm saying that a single tribe cant do that, only if u got 10 or more tribes in a union.

Diocletian
06-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately, the modern US Dollar does not derive it's value from gold held by the US government.

Before the invention of currency, people would simply trade for something they needed with something they had extra. So a fisherman may trade their fish for cloths. Depending on how much fish the tailor wanted in exchange for say one coat, it would be the cost of the coat. However, the tailor does not need anymore baskets, so if you were a weaver you may find much more expensive to get yourself a new coat.

Currency could arguably used to solve this dilemma in trading, since one common system of demand emerged.
Precious metals therefore arose to fill this need. For a good portion of human history, the weight of the metal was a direct equivalence of what is was worth. Various times however throughout history, it stood to stand for something more than the value of the metal it was made from. However, at some point the demand of the metal causes the metal to be worth more than the value it stood for, suddenly the currency is worthless, your better off melting it down.

Suddenly, the appearance of fiat currency emerged. Currency that was not based on anything. However, currency is still subject to the same rules of supply and demand as any other item for sale. The more money there is in a system, the less it is worth. As long as the amount of goods on the market is constant and the pool of money is constant, then prices in theory should not fluctuate that much.

joexxxz
06-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Diocletian wrote:

Unfortunately, the modern US Dollar does not derive it's value from gold held by the US government.

Before the invention of currency, people would simply trade for something they needed with something they had extra. So a fisherman may trade their fish for cloths. Depending on how much fish the tailor wanted in exchange for say one coat, it would be the cost of the coat. However, the tailor does not need anymore baskets, so if you were a weaver you may find much more expensive to get yourself a new coat.

Currency could arguably used to solve this dilemma in trading, since one common system of demand emerged.
Precious metals therefore arose to fill this need. For a good portion of human history, the weight of the metal was a direct equivalence of what is was worth. Various times however throughout history, it stood to stand for something more than the value of the metal it was made from. However, at some point the demand of the metal causes the metal to be worth more than the value it stood for, suddenly the currency is worthless, your better off melting it down.

Suddenly, the appearance of fiat currency emerged. Currency that was not based on anything. However, currency is still subject to the same rules of supply and demand as any other item for sale. The more money there is in a system, the less it is worth. As long as the amount of goods on the market is constant and the pool of money is constant, then prices in theory should not fluctuate that much.

THANK YOU !!! :cheer:

So my point is this. Later on, there should be some sort of currency. But the value and standard of currency should be made by players. Thats what I think..

pid73
06-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Shrimps wrote:

The idea of modern day currency is that each note (coin,bill,check, etc,) represents something of value. If there was nothing left in the world, then the currency would be worthless.


Nice that you say that, because in many countries it is exactly that way, but in the USA it is not. USD are legal tender, which means there are laws governing the value, and there is no actual material value. When the Federal Reserve retired all gold from the US (with the emanation of a law, I don't remember the year, around 1920 or so) it was all stashed into Fort Knox. But the value of the USD has been bound to the petrodollar (value of mineral oil on international stock markets), not to the value of gold... so, in the end, the USD in your pocket really just "legal tender".

Veldern
06-10-2010, 12:41 PM
But I've already created a currency... golf clubs! And that is all I am planning on accepting for the time being :)

Cunk
06-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Veldern wrote:

But I've already created a currency... golf clubs! And that is all I am planning on accepting for the time being :)
Is there only one golf club or have you found different sizes?

I hope you can find a whole set and that eventually you can build golf courses on your tribal land. The stress of surviving an apocalypse is much easier to deal with when you can relax with a round of golf every weekend. Although golf can be pretty damn aggravating...

Veldern
06-10-2010, 01:11 PM
I believe there is only one type, but to be honest I am very poor for the time being... :laugh:

pid73
06-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Veldern wrote:

But I've already created a currency... golf clubs! And that is all I am planning on accepting for the time being :)

maybe something like this would do (just guessing):
- necessary to craft broadly used items or, better, consumables;
- rare to find/prepare;
- stackable in inventory;
- cannot be "freely" found (not a collectable resource, but a scavangable item might work).

cbowsin
06-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Cunk wrote:

Is there only one golf club or have you found different sizes?

Currently I have only found 1 type and it is not stackable. So far I have only found 1 weapon that would obviously require the golf club to craft it.

Golf clubs are very common. The other night, out of the first 6 items I scavenged, 5 of them were golf clubs. Could just be my skill is high enough to scavenge discarded items and thus just picking up the same clubs over and over just to throw them away again. lol.

Shrimps
06-10-2010, 01:53 PM
The US dollar was in fact based on gold untill the 1970's when the government passed an act that changed it because gold prices were getting harder to control.

Originally the papaer gold and silver notes could be redeemed for gold and silver, although they eventually put a stop to it.


The point being, that unless a currency is based on something of value then it is worthless.

If someone walked up to you and handed you a round rock with a dot on it and told you it was worth alot, would you believe them? What is his estimation based off of? What does the rock represent to gain it's value?

I could see tribes having their own inner tribe currencies, but for the most part, trading will be done on the barter system because any type of currency will be worthless.

If you were in a wasteland and were trying to survive, wouldn't you rather have something you can use instead of just some paper that is probably more usefull as a firestarter than currency?

Diocletian
06-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Shrimps wrote:
[quote]The US dollar was in fact based on gold untill the 1970's when the government passed an act that changed it because gold prices were getting harder to control.

Originally the papaer gold and silver notes could be redeemed for gold and silver, although they eventually put a stop to it.


The point being, that unless a currency is based on something of value then it is worthless./quote]

It's after 1970, and the USD is not based on gold anymore; These dollars are worthless. :blink: I can't believe the government accepts these to pay taxes, driving up demand unnecessarily.

pid73
06-11-2010, 05:16 AM
Shrimps wrote:

The US dollar was in fact based on gold untill the 1970's when the government passed an act that changed it because gold prices were getting harder to control.

Originally the papaer gold and silver notes could be redeemed for gold and silver, although they eventually put a stop to it.


The point being, that unless a currency is based on something of value then it is worthless.

If someone walked up to you and handed you a round rock with a dot on it and told you it was worth alot, would you believe them? What is his estimation based off of? What does the rock represent to gain it's value?

I could see tribes having their own inner tribe currencies, but for the most part, trading will be done on the barter system because any type of currency will be worthless.

If you were in a wasteland and were trying to survive, wouldn't you rather have something you can use instead of just some paper that is probably more usefull as a firestarter than currency?

That's exactly my point. ty pointing it out :)

kiwibird
06-11-2010, 08:29 PM
ATITD uses a "script" for currency. That is no item is worth anything but the quantity they have. Each item is first donated to "the goods" in which people get a credit of "Good Scripts" which can be spent at a later date.

Purchases can either be in goods that they lack (which will give you a high return of Good Scripts, or you can use Good Scripts to buy.

Quite interesting and Im sure complex too.

[url=http://www.landoflyrics.com/thegoods/manifesto.php]The Goods[url], requires even a free demo to ATITD to work correctly.