PDA

View Full Version : Link to Xsyons client revealed

Zajman
05-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Link to the latest client was revealed in one of the major mmo sites by one not likely competent fellow , now everyone can download the client :/ , i will send a private msg to Jooky about this , but i will post it here so he can contact me anyway , Jooky ,if you re here please search your pm's for my one

inferno3387
05-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Some mod erase this thread

http://www.xsyon.com/forums/8-off-topic/20234-xsyon-download-link

Oakstead
05-08-2010, 01:11 PM
This scum posted at MMORPG.COM as well and I just reported that one. This is the second time some one created a new MMORPG.COM account for this sort of harassment.

pid73
05-08-2010, 01:22 PM
I'm not in game yet so I don't know what I'm talking about, but I see there are some sec problems with the client software.

I think the download link should link to a thin patcher that is just 1 or 2 megabytes large.
The actual client should be downloaded through patching.
If the patcher is then hidden behind the login, then only who is actually flagged as "in-game" can patch (thus download the client).
This will make these attempts useless and the staff can move on to more important work on Xsyon...

Spitfire5
05-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Please give us this "scums" IP :)

Relandi
05-08-2010, 01:24 PM
pid73 wrote:

I'm not in game yet so I don't know what I'm talking about, but I see there are some sec problems with the client software.

I think the download link should link to a thin patcher that is just 1 or 2 megabytes large.
The actual client should be downloaded through patching.
If the patcher is then hidden behind the login, then only who is actually flagged as "in-game" can patch (thus download the client).
This will make these attempts useless and the staff can move on to more important work on Xsyon...

Virtus and Jooky have stated they do not want the download behind an authorized login because they intend for it to be free for everyone to download (just not yet!).

Currently you do only download the "patcher" which is a tiny download and then you get the majority of the 3gb+ game via the patcher.

Oakstead
05-08-2010, 01:28 PM
That was quick. The thread is already down at MMORPG.COM. The poster had the same name, xsyonijji, as the person here.

Shrimps
05-08-2010, 01:32 PM
If you give us the site logs for that persons I.P. I bet some of us are resourceful enough to trace it back and....well let's just say he won't be using that hard drive anymore B)

Zarma
05-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Err...

If it's a big deal at all it's because they'll have an outdated patcher in the future.

It's not like anyone can log in just because they have the client, the devs had already made that clear.

Xsyon
05-08-2010, 01:37 PM
It's not a huge deal, it's just a waste of time for those that download it, especially if they intend to actually play, an it's a waste of bandwidth.

Players still need to log in to play the game.

dragonstripes
05-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Yeah but unless i'm mistaken the reason they wouldn't want this is because it slows down the downloads for everyone that can get in. Flooding the downloader with 1,000's of requests will slow it to a trickle and for what? You're right they still can't log in. Then the people that can log in have to wait forever for the download thus slowing down the beta testing process. Hassle...

Farmerbob
05-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Jooky, Hide the client behind a login please. It can still be open download when you want it to be, just make people register first. They will have to register at least a login name to sign in no matter what.

At least give yourself the option to control access.

Shrimps
05-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Maybe a solution would be to give each individual a kind of serialezed link specific to that user, so if they leaked it you could deny their access to the game and send "employees" to their place of residence for re-education.

eh? eh? ;)

Yeah ok well maybe not the re education part but at least break some bones.

OH and youtube it!

pid73
05-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Shrimps wrote:

Maybe a solution would be to give each individual a kind of serialezed link specific to that user, so if they leaked it you could deny their access to the game and send "employees" to their place of residence for re-education.

eh? eh? ;)

Yeah ok well maybe not the re education part but at least break some bones.

OH and youtube it!

Your suggestion would be useful to identify the abuser.
Actually, it would be easy to use the querystring, e.g.:

http://www.imaginary.url/xsyon_client.zip?id=8473284923

But... to be honest, we all already know who did this :)
The problem is to keep out people who can't get in because they are not registered "citizens" and waste their time, bandwidth, and legitimate downloaders time...

Freaked21
05-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Threatening to break some guys legs or hack into his hard drive because he posted a link to download the game client is a tad overreacting :laugh:

It's not as if anyone who downloaded that client will have access to the game anyway, so who gives a shit?

Spitfire5
05-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Freaked21 wrote:

Threatening to break some guys legs or hack into his hard drive because he posted a link to download the game client is a tad overreacting :laugh:

It's not as if anyone who downloaded that client will have access to the game anyway, so who gives a shit?

I don't believe any threats were ment, more of a joke than anything..

What did matter though, is the client is also connected to the websites server.. When it was being mass downloaded the website was slow as dirt. All clear now :)