PDA

View Full Version : 04/08/2015 - Architecture Parts Feedback - Test Server

Xsyon
04-08-2015, 04:50 PM
Hello everyone!

The Test Server is open for checking a slew of new architectural components. These have been checked cursorily and I would appreciate if you could check these and report any issues found.

Many of these new parts were created from components originally intended to be porches and bridges. I've broken apart the original models into components to allow for more flexibility and creativity.

These parts are ready for testing:

Railing I
Railing I 2 Meter
Railing II
Railing II 2 Meter
Railing Gate

Floor 2x4 Meter
Deck 2x4 Meter
Floor 8x8 Meter
Ramp 2x2x2 Meter

Cantilever 4x8 Meter
Walls 2x4 Meter
Truss 8x8 Meter
Beam 8 Meter

These parts are available in all 7 architectural styles.

Note: For testing purposes only these components are available to all architects as auto-learned schemes at 5 skill.

millsdo
04-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Can't wait! Will test them ASAP.

thurgond
04-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Client crashes as soon as I try to place one of the new railings. 1st time was on floor and the 2nd time on the ground. Hoping that floors can support railings.

Xsyon
04-08-2015, 05:37 PM
Yes, please give me 15-20 minutes. Some files did not patch correctly.

Xsyon
04-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Railings have the same settings as walls, thus require the same conditions and supports as regular walls.

Xsyon
04-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Everything should be ready for testing now.

thurgond
04-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Still crashing on me. This time on a deck.

Xsyon
04-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Please try deleting Meshes.xsip from the Xsyon/Data directory, then patch again. Since you patched while the files were not correctly updated you could have a corrupted Meshes.xsip file.

If you still crash, please tell me the exact part you are crashing on.

Thanks!

thurgond
04-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Not crashing after patching meshes.xsip (date stamp about 16 min. later).

Like the looks of the new railings and gates. Cannot move through the ghosts though and get stuck in the Pioneer Railing Gate and Pioneer Railing I ghosts. No trouble moving trough new ramp ghosts.

Built a Scavenger Railing I and Scavenger Railing Gate in the crack between 2 floors. The railing looks good, but the gate turned red when completed (was in green Position Valid before building). Rebuilt the gate and could not move the mats from ghost to my pack.

The Gadu Railing Gate displays as 2 m wide, but you cannot place ghosts within 1 m of either end. The Gadu Railing II (2 and 4 m versions) take the same grass thatch and twine as the Gadu Railing I, but they display as leather.

Haven't tested all parts.

thurgond
04-08-2015, 09:56 PM
After more checking:

The Banaya Deck 2x4 seems off. The other Banaya floors use grass mats, but the deck uses Medium Wood Boards. Also this deck uses a different but appealing texture.

The Bamati 2x4 floor and deck use the Scavenger floor textures. The 8x8 and 4x4 Bamati floors have leather coverings.

The Scavenger Deck 2x4 appearance has some extra boards on top that aren't there on the Scavenger floors.

Pwnuts
04-09-2015, 03:42 AM
cant go trough all kinds of rails + their gates.

already on the mainserver, if you put a wall under a roof (middle), lets say mason brick roof 8x8 and mason granite wall there will be a gap on top of the wall. would be good if its possible to move a floor under the roof (4m from basement) to hide the gap.

Xsyon
04-11-2015, 11:52 AM
The Test Server is up with the following changes:

1) Collision on ghosts for new railing parts removed.

2) Proper files for the Scavenger Railing Gate uploaded. This should work properly and not turn red when completed.

3) Proper collision files for all gates uploaded. Gadu Railing Gate should allow for parts to be placed correctly on both sides.

4) Gadu Railing II variants should now require leather materials.

5) Building 'rooms' should be able to be placed on floors and under or within trusses and roofs.

Notes:

The Banaya Deck 2x4 seems off. The other Banaya floors use grass mats, but the deck uses Medium Wood Boards. Also this deck uses a different but appealing texture.
This was an artistic decision and it's fine. It fits well enough with the Banaya set.

The Bamati 2x4 floor and deck use the Scavenger floor textures. The 8x8 and 4x4 Bamati floors have leather coverings.
It's actually the same floor texture used in the larger floors, just without the leather tarp on top.

The Scavenger Deck 2x4 appearance has some extra boards on top that aren't there on the Scavenger floors.
Another artistic decision. The Deck parts weren't meant to 100% match the floor parts. They should add some variety. Some of the decks are very similar to the floors and may be adjusted later. I just worked with what artists had made a long time ago but we never had a change to implement to create these parts.

thurgond
04-11-2015, 02:50 PM
Fixes for 1-4 above confirmed.

Thanks for your notes on the artistic decision.

The "rooms" in 5 seem to be to be a small selection: pup tent, smokehouse, scrapper picnic canopy. Was able to place scrapper box tent under truss, but had to jump place the ghost to put it on a floor. I especially appreciate the ability to place walls and railings under trusses and to move ghosts through trusses.

Xsyon
04-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Hi thurgond,

'Rooms' includes all stand alone buildings (tents, tee-pees, etc.). If you're having problems with a specific building please post the following information:

1) Name of building type
2) Exact problems you are having, for example: Unable to place building on upper floors or unable to move building through truss.
3) Location where you are building this (so I can log in and check the exact situation on the Test Server if needed)

Note that 'rooms' can be placed on upper floors only if all corners are supported and the corners are based on rectangular bounds at the building's base. Many 'rooms' can be placed on upper floors only if there is enough space for the base. I've been testing on a 8x8 truss with 4 4x4 floors on it.

Also, 'room' ghosts should be able to move through all trusses. Other parts should still not be allowed to move through trusses through unless they are moved into a correct position (for example, walls should be able to slide into the centers). Are you able to move all parts through trusses or just 'rooms'?

Thanks very much for the quick feedback!

thurgond
04-11-2015, 06:14 PM
Rooms that give "...floor in the way" message when creating the project irregardless of any trusses above include: scavenger box tent, scavenger sheet tent, Bamati sheet teepee, Bamati pointed teepee. Same message if floor is complete or a ghost.

Thought I could place a Scavenger Sheet Tent inside under an 8x8 truss set up on posts (@781:226,614), but couldn't jump place it. However, this tent is over 4 m high (not counting the antenna) so that makes sense now.

Can place walls inside this location (inside with 8 m ceilings). Cannot place most gates (get "...floor in way") in same spot. Can jump build new railing gates, but not old 4 m. high gates. Pioneer Log Gate is the only exception among the gates I know that can be placed directly on a floor.

Xsyon
04-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Ok, gotcha. You should be able to place those 'room' buildings in air or nearby and move them into the truss area.

Direct placement is a bit trickier because it uses your players position which is not going to be 100% on the grid. I'll try adjusting the initial placement to put parts slightly above your position, or I could add a second adjustment variable so that you can adjust the initial placement height relative to yours. That will allow placement slightly above the floor, then you can snap the building down onto the floor.

I'll see what I can do.

Heimdall
04-12-2015, 07:57 AM
The collision of the Mason Railing gate when opened is larger than it's model. Not sure if that makes sense so I will add a screenshot where I run into the gate while I should pass it.

Heimdall
04-12-2015, 08:57 AM
The Gadu Deck needs a hammer to complete but the only materials used are grass thatches and twine.
The Gadu Railing II 2m does not require leather.
The thumbnails in the architecture window show the Railing I pictures for the Railing II's.

Charon/ Tupux

Xsyon
04-13-2015, 08:36 PM
Hello everyone,

There is a bit of confusion with part placement.

There are two ways to get a part into place: Initial placement and moving a part into place. These work slightly different as sometimes you can't directly place an object, but you can place it in the air or nearby and then move it into that location.

This happens because the initial placement is based on your current position. Due to floating point math imprecision, your position may register as intersecting with current floor you are on. This will cause the 'objects in the way' message even though you could place the new part nearby and move it to this location.

I'm working on a few things right now:

1) Slight adjustment to the initial placement so that you can place parts in any location you can move them to. I may add a setting you can set the initial height for placement (similar to how you can currently place the initial distance from your toon).

Would this help?

2) Reworking trusses a bit. Right now you should be able to slide walls into the center of trusses and roofs. Some players are having issues with this though. I think I can allow for walls to be placed anywhere inside a truss, just not intersecting with the truss posts. Possibly I can allow intersection with the truss posts as well. I'm giving this some thought and testing out various situations.

3) Adding larger trusses with cross beams (for example a 8x8 truss with beams across the center). This will allow for placement of items above or in the center of the truss without having the items float and it will allow for placing 4x4 trusses on top of the 8x8.

I'll have a build ready with these changes as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Xsyon
04-17-2015, 03:50 PM
The Test Server is up with the following changes:

1) Walls can now be moved through trusses and roofs. This should make building easier and allows for additional flexibility as walls can now be placed at any point along trusses as long as the ends of the walls are supported.

2) The initial placement function has been revised. It should be easier now to place rooms (for example) directly onto floors without having to place them nearby and moving them into position.

3) New part: Truss 8x8 m X
This is a truss with central cross beams. These should support walls, 4x4 m trusses and other parts above (as long as the parts are properly supported by the beams.

4) New part: Cantilever Truss 4x8
Longer cantilever truss

5) Gadu Deck no longer requires a hammer.

6) Gadu Railing II now requires leather.

7) Thumbnails for the Railing II set corrected.

Note:
The collision on the Mason Railing Gate is a bit larger than the actual model because all gates use the same collision (it's an optimization). I'll think about revising that one specific gate, but it's a minor issue, so I may leave it as is.

I think that's it!

Please let me know about any building issue that still doesn't seem right with this current Test Build. As you all know it's been a crazy week for me with the sudden crash and data mess on Sunday! I'm trying to catch up now and get this next architecture patch out as soon as possible. I may have missed some minor issues already reported.

millsdo
04-17-2015, 04:05 PM
I tested those issues and all look good to me. Awesome work.

thurgond
04-17-2015, 10:03 PM
Looks great to me. Was able to place gates and buildings inside existing trusses on existing floors. Was able to place railings over trusses where the floors were misplaced and overhung some.

Will be a very happy camper when this goes live.

Xsyon
04-22-2015, 05:05 AM

And now for something completely different... ok, just a bit different.

I've removed the X Trusses. Instead I've set up a beam system so that you can put cross beams wherever you like within a truss AND spanning trusses.

Beams must be supported by trusses, but (like trusses) they can support any other construction part.

I've uploaded a quick screenshot to give an example of what can be done with beams.

These need testing to make sure nothing strange can happen. In particular, dismantling needs to checked as you will need to dismantle beams within a truss before removing the truss itself.

Everything else is ready to go for this next update. I plan to patch tomorrow or Friday morning. If beams can be fully tested by then, they will be part of this update. If not, I will switch them off and patch them early next week.

I look forward to feedback on this!

Bejaymac
04-22-2015, 07:03 AM
Only the Banaya beam is working for me, the rest only show the scaffolding pole and can't be selected to delete them.

Not sure if it's an over sight or not but the materials for the scavenger railings/gate make no sense to me, especially as the built items looks like they are made of wood, they should be wood and nails rather than metal sheets and bolts.

scaffolding poles on 2x2x4 platforms still show the wrong textures, looks more like a grass texture than the wood branch and rope it's meant to be.

and that's after deleting the Meshes.xsip file to double check.

Xsyon
04-22-2015, 07:09 AM
Note: I moved the above post to this thread to keep feedback better organized.

I will patch out a new Meshes.xsip in a few minutes with correct beam files.

I will check the scavenger railings. Recipes were in general copied from similar parts and adjusted.

Thanks!

Xsyon
04-22-2015, 07:15 AM
I've patched the new Meshes.xsip. Beams should be correct now. I will look into the 2x2x4 platform scaffold.

Thanks again!

Bejaymac
04-22-2015, 08:01 AM
"hands Jordi a big mug of black coffee" :P

ghost of Banaya beam is labeled Bamati Beam
ghost of Bamati beam is labeled Pioneer Beam
ghost of Pioneer beam is labeled Scrapper Beam
ghost of Scrapper Beam is Labeled Scavenger Beam
ghost of Scavenger Beam is labeled Mason Beam
ghost of Mason beam is labeled Gadu Beam
ghost of Gadu Beam doesn't work, you just get the scaffolding pole.

I deleted the Meshes.xsip again to be on the safe side, they all appear to be the right shape it's just their labels that are wrong.

Xsyon
04-22-2015, 08:34 AM
Ok, I'm going to restart the server. I think some of the scheme data IDs are incorrect.

Xsyon
04-22-2015, 08:43 AM
Test Server is restarting. Let's give this a try.

Bejaymac
04-22-2015, 09:17 AM
That did it for the names, but the Gadu Beam is still just a scaffolding pole with no ghost.

Xsyon
04-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Ok. I've uploaded minor mesh changes through the patcher for:

1) Correct mesh for Gadu Beam patched.
2) Correct textures for 2x2x4 platforms.

I'll check materials for the Scavenger Railings later today.

Bejaymac
04-22-2015, 10:46 AM
That did it, Gadu Beams show up now, and the platform scaffolding isn't green any more.

Small request, any chance you could allow floors to pass through the bottom of the totem, I would disband the tribe but as I've found out the totem never goes back where you want it, so it would be easier to slip the floors under the totem as my place is offset enough as it is :rolleyes:

Casondrah
04-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Tried out the dismantling and all seems to be in order. If you try to dismantle a truss with beams, you get the notice to remove beams first....if you try to dismantle a beam holding a floor, you get the notice to remove the floor. Anything I tried to dismantle either happened in the proper order or I was prompted to do so.

Xsyon
04-22-2015, 10:21 PM
I will leave the Test Server one more day in case anyone else would like to check things. This patch looks ready to go for the next maintenance (Friday 1:00 AM PST). The scavenger railing recipes will be adjusted for the patch.

Small request, any chance you could allow floors to pass through the bottom of the totem, I would disband the tribe but as I've found out the totem never goes back where you want it, so it would be easier to slip the floors under the totem as my place is offset enough as it is :rolleyes:

Could you please add this to the Suggestions (http://www.xsyon.com/project.php?projectid=4)list? I won't be able to do this for this patch, but maybe in the next one. This is one of those things that's an easy enough change, but could have unplanned repercussions. It will need to be checked thoroughly.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you all come up with from all these new parts, especially with the additional freedom allowed by the beams.

Thanks everyone!