PDA

View Full Version : Open World PvP, option?

Kunra
05-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Is there a way to make the Open World PvP an "Option/Choice" upon logging into game? Ie, only those that make this choice can attack each other.

Not sure whether this idea has any legs but it gives the Open World PvP crowd what they want while leaving the PvE crowd alone. Also seems to get rid of the "ganking" factor.

Probably a few holes in this idea but thought I would put it forth.

Also not sure whether this is doable in terms of Dev time.

Shot in the dark.

kiwibird
05-09-2010, 09:19 PM
No, Open PvP is enforced.

Veldern
05-09-2010, 09:21 PM
I am a crafter first and a fighter second, but I would still not like to see this implemented. One of the reasons I am drawn to Open world pvp is because if someone decides to be a jerk and insult me or do other annoying things, I can kill him and make him stop, where as in other games you can't do anything but complain about harassment... which rarely makes it stop.

Kitsume
05-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Open PvP only.

Anything else allows wiggle room for griefers to hide behind the no-PvP flag, which is much worse in my opinion, than what can happen in an open PvP world.

Relandi
05-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Oh, our good friend Kunra is back!

Okie
05-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Veldern wrote:

I am a crafter first and a fighter second, but I would still not like to see this implemented. One of the reasons I am drawn to Open world pvp is because if someone decides to be a jerk and insult me or do other annoying things, I can kill him and make him stop, where as in other games you can't do anything but complain about harassment... which rarely makes it stop.

Or kill people who make annoying threads over and over again.

Veldern
05-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Okie wrote:

Or kill people who make annoying threads over and over again. Indeed...

Kunra
05-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Okie wrote:

Veldern wrote:

I will be there, just cause I don't spend all my time trying to kill others, doesn't mean I can't.

If I understand the way Combat skills work, guess what, I will be happy to see you ingame(if I ever get ingame).

kiwibird
05-09-2010, 09:38 PM
That could be true for a lot of members here at Xsyon.

Kunra
05-09-2010, 09:41 PM
kiwibird wrote:

That could be true for a lot of members here at Xsyon.

Kinda cryptic there, Kiwi. What ya mean?

Okie
05-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Kunra wrote:

Okie wrote:

Veldern wrote:

I will be there, just cause I don't spend all my time trying to kill others, doesn't mean I can't.

If I understand the way Combat skills work, guess what, I will be happy to see you ingame(if I ever get ingame).

Wo wo wo bro did you just challenge be to a dance off.

Spitfire5
05-09-2010, 09:53 PM
GTFO carebear!

:)

Relandi
05-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Okie wrote:

I can picture the Dance Dance Revolution scene in Grandma's Boy already!

Spitfire5
05-09-2010, 10:00 PM
One of my favorite movies.

Kunra
05-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Okie wrote:

Kunra wrote:

Okie wrote:

Veldern wrote:

If my understanding of the Skill advancement for combat is correct, yeah, it's a challenge.

I may be wrong, but if PvE combat skills advance at same rate as PvP skills, I will be ready.

Relandi
05-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Spitfire5 wrote:

One of my favorite movies.

"Dude, your bed is a car"

"...Yeah but it's a fucking SWEET car!"

Kunra
05-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Spitfire5 wrote:

GTFO carebear!

Without "carebears" like me, you won't have anyone to buy armor and weapons from. Good luck with that.

Sabina
05-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Kunra wrote:

Spitfire5 wrote:

GTFO carebear!

Without "carebears" like me, you won't have anyone to buy armor and weapons from. Good luck with that.

With carebears like you no one will NEED armour and weapons. If you want a non PVP crafting game go and play Tale of the Desert and stop your moaning in these forums!

Spitfire5
05-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Sabina wrote:

Kunra wrote:

Spitfire5 wrote:

GTFO carebear!

With carebears like you no one will NEED armour and weapons. If you want a non PVP crafting game go and play Tale of the Desert and stop your moaning in these forums!

This^^

Relandi
05-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Kunra wrote:

Lies and out-right slander.

I will sell any and all wares to PKs, not including them is being a poor business man.

And contrary to your logic, not all crafters = carebears.

Kunra
05-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Sabina wrote:

Kunra wrote:

Spitfire5 wrote:

GTFO carebear!

Then every part of this game based aroubd Crafting/Building has been a complete waste of dev time the last few years.

Lets make a game where everyone logs in with the same weapons and armor and we do nothing but PvP in an arena every single night.

How do you see that working out?

kiwibird
05-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Sorry to delay explanation of my previous post. But my words of, "That could be true for a lot of members here at Xsyon." was in reply to,

kiwibird
05-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Lets not start another PvP flame yeah. That isn't directed at anyone, but to all. We really don't need yet another thread of this nature...

Kunra
05-09-2010, 10:25 PM
kiwibird wrote:

Lets not start another PvP flame yeah. That isn't directed at anyone, but to all. We really don't need yet another thread of this nature...

No worries, Kiwi, just think this idea might possibly cater to both crowds.

After all, it's just another idea among many. Whether it can be worked out is something else entirely.

kiwibird
05-09-2010, 10:38 PM
It's one that wont be considered in my personal view. If this don't work Xsyon has commented the only other option is a separate server.

Veldern
05-09-2010, 10:51 PM
kiwibird wrote:

It's one that wont be considered in my personal view. If this don't work Xsyon has commented the only other option is a separate server. That's very reassuring. I'm glad to know they won't just pull the plug on it in the middle of the game lol.

DonViper
05-10-2010, 12:42 AM
open world pvp please, i am a sever craftoholick but i do like to have some risk involved and to kill that idiot that's steeling my resources

drake1980
05-10-2010, 01:14 AM
Ok well I personaly want it to stay as is, I am almost pure crafter type and open pvp worlds is accualy the best to be a crafter in. Hell when I used to play UO and I was playing even before the trammel safe zones came in I played preety much all crafters.

When I preordered this game I knew already I was pre ordering a game that is open world pvp, honestly also from what I been reading on this system sounds like a preety good set up. Personaly I know its the fact that ussaly getting ganked and all yoru stuff taken away from you by pkers make people not want open world pvp.

I personaly dont see the problem with this being open pvp, heck right now im accualy not only waiting on my turn to get in but tribeless still right now, but defently gonna have to find some peeps to roll with casue this was made clear this isnt solo friendly lol.

sicarius
05-10-2010, 06:17 AM
drake1980 wrote:

Ok well I personaly want it to stay as is, I am almost pure crafter type and open pvp worlds is accualy the best to be a crafter in. Hell when I used to play UO and I was playing even before the trammel safe zones came in I played preety much all crafters.

When I preordered this game I knew already I was pre ordering a game that is open world pvp, honestly also from what I been reading on this system sounds like a preety good set up. Personaly I know its the fact that ussaly getting ganked and all yoru stuff taken away from you by pkers make people not want open world pvp.

I personaly dont see the problem with this being open pvp, heck right now im accualy not only waiting on my turn to get in but tribeless still right now, but defently gonna have to find some peeps to roll with casue this was made clear this isnt solo friendly lol.

Exactly, I love to build, i was a construction maniac in Wurm back in the day and with Open pvp/terraforming if it is implamented, would make for a much more interested, exciting world. I don't want another carebear realm where there is no danger, that just ruins the whole feel of this game. OPen pvp, possibly unrestricted terraforming, and this game will have at least one very happy customer.

kohd99
05-10-2010, 08:00 AM
sicarius wrote:
unrestricted terraforming

This is one of the things I'm worried about. Unrestricted building in any sandbox is bad. The griefing kiddies will take advantage of that in a heartbeat and the world will end up looking ridiculous.

Virtus
05-10-2010, 08:55 AM
lets not get too off topic, however, terraform, once the guild system gets implemented along with territories, will be restricted to your guild controlled land

Freaked21
05-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Open world PvP adds hugely to the immersion factor in an open-ended sandbox game such as Xyson, and immersion is what it's all about. At least it is for me anyway.

I love to craft, but it comes a distant second to being able to gank/kill anyone who crosses my path. I love the feeling of when you're studing your opponent, looking for a weakness and waiting for the right time to strike.

Open world PvP is absolutely essential.

sicarius
05-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Freaked21 wrote:

Open world PvP adds hugely to the immersion factor in an open-ended sandbox game such as Xyson, and immersion is what it's all about. At least it is for me anyway.

I love to craft, but it comes a distant second to being able to gank/kill anyone who crosses my path. I love the feeling of when you're studing your opponent, looking for a weakness and waiting for the right time to strike.

Open world PvP is absolutely essential.

I think that not having an open world pvp would really pull this game down. SO much potential and so much potential to kill the game in one fell swoop. If this were to be limited it would be the nail in the coffin, but terraforming is bad enough.

Dominus
05-13-2010, 07:40 AM
You might want to quit now, before you get dissapointed, carebear.

w0rm
05-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Dominus wrote:

Why quit, he should definately try it, it's not as bad thing as it might look like sometimes.

sicarius
05-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Dominus wrote:

?

Okie
05-13-2010, 07:02 PM
sicarius wrote:

Dominus wrote:

?

Hes not talkn to you broski hes talkn to my arch nemesis kunra. Were gunna settle this in xyson 1st full loot dance off / rap battle. Shits gunna be insane.

Relandi
05-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Okie wrote:

Hes not talkn to you broski hes talkn to my arch nemesis kunra. Were gunna settle this in xyson 1st full loot dance off / rap battle. Shits gunna be insane.

This will be proudly sponsored by Ashley Shaeffer BMW, woo.

Kunra
05-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Okie wrote:

sicarius wrote:

Dominus wrote:

?

Only been here a couple weeks and already have an Arch Nemesis, i'm flattered.

I may avoid PvP ingames, but like I said in another thread, it's not because I can't.

I'm not shy.

sicarius
05-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Okie wrote:

sicarius wrote:

Dominus wrote:

?

cool beans, was just makin' sure... bout to throw down brah

Shrimps
05-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Like it or not PVP makes crafting actually useful.

Look at games where there is no pvp and no loss for death in PVP, crafting is practicaly useless.

You craft it once and there is never a need for it again since you can't lose it. sure there is loss through durability, but the rate at which that happens is usually very slow and would still make it pointless.

For crafting, and rescource gathering to really be useful there has to be destruction, there needs to be some way that these items are being lost quickly so that the economy isn't stagnant.

As a crafter you should be begging for more pvp so that you can sell more armor/weapons to people who wear them out or lose them, and the more of a demand there is, the more profit you can make.

Especially in a game with a softcap on skills, fighters are not going to be using their skill allowance on crafting, which means that crafters will be needed.

Kunra
05-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Just an fyi, I dropped this thread days ago when I saw an overwhelming majority against it.

Open World PvP will be ingame, period.

Whether it can work or not and still be profitable is still to be seen.

Regradless, I will be playing(hopefully soon) and will give it a try.

jessebfox
05-14-2010, 05:11 AM
Kunra wrote:

Just an fyi, I dropped this thread days ago when I saw an overwhelming majority against it.

Open World PvP will be ingame, period.

Whether it can work or not and still be profitable is still to be seen.

Regradless, I will be playing(hopefully soon) and will give it a try.

I am quite sure the majority is against it, but more important the devs vision is against it. Also, don't be misled to believe that the vocal forum goers represent the majority. It rarely is the case. They just represent the forum community which is always a relatively small portion of a population base no matter what they try to get you to believe.

eikona
05-14-2010, 07:12 AM
I used to hate open pvp, thinking of it as simply a griefers' paradise.

Then I played a few full pvp, open loot games. I'm not a pvper, but now I prefer full pvp games. I generally find the communities in open pvp games to be much more pleasant.

Open pvp is great for the economy of a game, it also allows some measure of self policing. Someone being a jerk? Kill them, or get a friend to kill them if you're not a combat character. As unhappy as I am about single character per server, I do have to admit that SCS *will* help mitigate the problem with griefers. If you are forced to live with the consequences of your actions, and can't just create a new alt to get away from it, then it becomes less of a problem.

I'm a big fan of risk. With great risk comes a real feeling of accomplishment. Exploring a game is exciting if there's the risk of running into someone who will kill you and take your stuff. Darkfall had so many problems, but at the same time, exploring it was great fun, because I had to be wary, and ran the risk of losing everything everytime I went outside. I hired people to protect me when I was harvesting, my crafted items were in constant demand - I simply can't deny that open pvp and full loot improve a game.

The trick is getting it right.

sisler86
05-14-2010, 11:44 AM
I really don't see crafters having much of a risk in this game unless they are killed by a warring tribe member. I am sure as hell not going to gank someone for the log strapped to his back then walk painfully slow back to my stash to store it (which I don't think you can do with logs anyway). A full inventory + resources on your back, make you so slow that you'd probably get rekilled by that same person you killed before you even made it back.

The resources in the game seem pretty abundant and you can only carry a few things on you. It's just not worth killing someone over. You could take a chance (and the karma hit) and kill someone hoping that in one of the like 12 inventory slots, they have something worth taking, but to me, it's just not worth the kill.

The only risk I see is of those players that will kill you just because they know you've been carrying that log for a while and still have a long way to go and they want to see you suffer, but those childish types of players are few and far between.

Primavera
05-14-2010, 11:57 AM
jessebfox wrote:

I am quite sure the majority is against it, but more important the devs vision is against it. Also, don't be misled to believe that the vocal forum goers represent the majority. It rarely is the case. They just represent the forum community which is always a relatively small portion of a population base no matter what they try to get you to believe.

I used to think this was universally true until I played Darkfall, its definitely an exception. I think there're as many active on the forums as in game and a lot of the posting is about a) The game politics & b) The game mechanics. Given that this game may attract a lot of ex-DF players and will undoubtably have a strong political element, the forums may in turn be used by a big chunk of the playerbase.

A lot of maybe's :blush:

sicarius
05-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Primavera wrote:

jessebfox wrote:

I used to think this was universally true until I played Darkfall, its definitely an exception. I think there're as many active on the forums as in game and a lot of the posting is about a) The game politics & b) The game mechanics. Given that this game may attract a lot of ex-DF players and will undoubtably have a strong political element, the forums may in turn be used by a big chunk of the playerbase.

A lot of maybe's :blush:

I disagree, when you look at forums for DF for instance, at one time there is over 1000 people playing (Europe server about a year ago) there were barely 100 or so active people, and another 100 that posted every once in awhile, thats not a big chunk at all.

Primavera
05-15-2010, 05:49 AM
I'm talking about now though, not a year ago. Go to the DF forums and look at most users online - it was November 2009 at 6972. At this moment there are 455 active users online. Given that DF has a low game population these numbers are massive.