PDA

View Full Version : Quality of updates

Kunra
05-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Virtus wrote:

Our focus right now is to make sure the server is 100% stable, to eliminate client crashes and fix critical bugs.

so, no :)

Over the past week I have been having flashbacks from day 1 Alpha for FE while reading the reports of stability. I saw the pains FE went through to gain stability.

I also saw how long it took, starting to rethink my pre-ordering of Xsyon.

I really hope there a a few "miracle" patches to come.

Not looking forward to multiple Updates a day several times a weeks.

I'm not even ingame, but based on what I have read so far, starting to lose faith.

Virtus
05-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Kunra wrote:

Virtus wrote:

Our focus right now is to make sure the server is 100% stable, to eliminate client crashes and fix critical bugs.

Over the past week I have been having flashbacks from day 1 Alpha for FE while reading the reports of stability. I saw the pains FE went through to gain stability.

I'm not even ingame, but based on what I have read so far, starting to lose faith.

every single update has increased the stability of the server and from what I am being told and personally seeing it is almost there. At least it appears the core of the problems are gone to me. Now to go through with a fine toothed comb and get w/e remains.

Kunra
05-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Diocletian wrote:

People complain about the lack of updates....

You complain that there are too many updates...

Guess, it is true, you can not make anyone happy.

Guess all there is now is to turn the features on.

This game does "live" in little more then a month, you think it's in any shape to go Live?

FE was in better shape when it hit Closed Beta...it spent 6 months in Alpha to get there with more money and a larger Dev staff then Xsyon has.

I am only stating the obvious problems as I see them posted.

Do I want this game to fail? No, I don't.

Do I see a long and arduous path ahead of us? Yes, I do.

Kunra
05-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Virtus wrote:

Kunra wrote:

Virtus wrote:

every single update has increased the stability of the server and from what I am being told and personally seeing it is almost there. At least it appears the core of the problems are gone to me. Now to go through with a fine toothed comb and get w/e remains.

Problem is, I have seen the "major" updates go live then 2-3 days of minor fixes. Thta was what ocurred every single week in FE because the new "builds" were completely new and were far from tested. Is that what I am looking forward to here?

Virtus
05-11-2010, 09:37 PM

Virtus
05-11-2010, 09:46 PM
agreed it has been awhile but it has not all been on server stability. Other things have cropped up during this time. The hacker situation, which could notof been foreseen slowed things down a week and a lot of bugs have been dealt with (check the offical bugs list on what has been fixed).

On top of this a new and much improved installer has been added and the patcher constantly tweaked for better performance.

Over this time and over all things have been on the up and up. and as I said most of the work now is fine toothed combing.

Virtus
05-11-2010, 10:01 PM
they are not about crafting updates, they are about quality of updates and the server instability. In the last couple of posts there was no mention of crafting updates which the other thread was about so i moved it to keep that one clean.

Farmerbob
05-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Kunra wrote:

Virtus wrote:

I have not been terribly happy with the perceived stability from my end either, but as it turns out, apparently I had some corrupted player files from all the swapping of gear, logging out, then back in, deleting old characters, etc.

I have been ingame now for a couple hours straight with nothing more annoying than a few pretty nasty lagspikes.

Nezabyte
05-12-2010, 02:26 AM
Well, as far as I can tell, this is still shaping up to be much better than Mortal Online's situation. Keep up the good work, guys. Crush bugs, bring stability, and let's get that content rollin' B) I still have a lot of faith, especially when Xsyon keeps us updated on everything that's going on.

DanielVE
05-12-2010, 03:50 AM
Nezabyte wrote:

Well, as far as I can tell, this is still shaping up to be much better than Mortal Online's situation. Keep up the good work, guys. Crush bugs, bring stability, and let's get that content rollin' B) I still have a lot of faith, especially when Xsyon keeps us updated on everything that's going on.

/agree

I was/am part of MO since block A, and play darkfall as well.

Those devs simply vanish and you stay for weeks not knowing what the fuck they are doing... Its like they doing this for free...

Xsyon has ways to go but the fact that the team is always bringing updates and taking feedback from us is awesome.
Keep up the great work guys!!

TheMap
05-12-2010, 06:16 AM
To compare Xsyon with FE quality is just a no no. I was in FE closed beta and it was terrible. The combat was buggy, tons of graphical errors and ingame bugs. It never felt solid even at open beta/launch. That is why they kept offering people to try for 10 days free. I think its fair to say that when a company offers the 10 day free trial they are losing subs, trying to save face.

The concept of FE was decent, but after the closed beta experience the bad taste in my mouth never left and I haven't been back since.

Xsyon is 100% more solid then FE. It actually feels like I am playing a character. Sure the server stability has been a problem and I had issues with getting kicked/server crashing at the beginning. But since then things have been patched fixed to the point where I can stay in for hours now. That is improvement. What makes it even more quality IMO is the fact that this is foremost important before tossing in a bunch of content to confuse things even more.

It seems Xsyon has payed attention to Mortal Online and learned from Star Vaults mistakes. Only until now SV figured out to run a bare bone client to figure out what is causing lag. After they spent all that time tweaking , bringing and testing new content features. We are back to a empty client with nothing but a sword/axe and a tunic.

Although the updates are seemingly slow the progress remains steady here. As long as there is progress there is hope. Now lets get some animals in game so I can make me some bone armor. :woohoo:

Derek
05-12-2010, 07:44 AM
I'm no fanboy but I have to give the Xsyon team credit. Yes, there have been setbacks due to server instability, hackers, and unforeseen bugs. But, they have kept us informed every step of the way while working through weekends and answering almost every concern posted on the forums.

The development team seems to have a very strong work ethic as illustrated in how they have been systematically addressing every bug posted on the forums. I have faith that they will see this through until we have a polished product.

We need to have patience as a community and keep the negative energy to a minimum. We should show our support for the Xsyon team as long as we are kept well informed and progress is being made as they push towards the launch date. These guys are working ridiculously long days to get the job done. Indie companies like this are our only hope to save us from boring theme park linear MMO's.

Keep up the good work dev team!

Virtus
05-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the positives guys. It does mean a lot when the community is at least pleased with how things are being handled even if it is slow for the moment.

And yes, the patcher dev and jooky at least (idk about the others really) work crazy long ass shifts to get stuff done. I know the patcher dev in particular stays up as long as needed to get stuff completed, then he crashes for almost a full day while you guys break it again :-P. So yes, they are putting thier all into this.

Xbwalker
05-12-2010, 09:32 AM
That's good to hear. I am very impressed with the game so far. It has all the features I always wanted with other games. And now to put in NPCs and buildings!

Twosock
05-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Xbwalker wrote:

That's good to hear. I am very impressed with the game so far. It has all the features I always wanted with other games. And now to put in NPCs and buildings!

From what i gathered so far we will create the world. Buildings (tribal villages)tents and such the evolving i quess as crafts get more advanced. Quests will be player created (role in tribe)
Npc might come into play but not for some time i belive.

Basicly there will be us (varius tribes), animals, resources and the world to play around in. When the prelude starts.

Gypsy
05-12-2010, 12:21 PM
DanielVE wrote:

Nezabyte wrote:

/agree

I was/am part of MO since block A, and play darkfall as well.

Those devs simply vanish and you stay for weeks not knowing what the fuck they are doing... Its like they doing this for free...

Xsyon has ways to go but the fact that the team is always bringing updates and taking feedback from us is awesome.
Keep up the great work guys!!

I have also been keeping up on MO and unfortunately pre-ordered the game back during their alpha phase. In contrast, there seems to be much better communication here with Xsyon devs and far less beating around the bush. It also seems Xsyon's devs are far more focused and working issues and features on a smaller and more manageable level; whereas MO/Starvault are attempting everything at once, ie melee/archery/magic at the sametime as desync, crafting, monster AI.

All in all, Xsyon seems far advanced and from the outside looking in, I'm very hopeful and excited.

Ciik
05-12-2010, 12:49 PM
TheMap wrote:

Xsyon is 100% more solid then FE.

Listen. It's too early to tell. Many of us have been on the receiving end of Fallen Earth, Mortal Online and Darkfall. No one should be swinging their pom poms until we actually do realize game-play.

I appreciate the devs continued push, and it's not to say none of it is appreciated, but its one thing to be impressed with the concept of a game, and another for that concept to be delivered.

So we all wait patiently as things come together, and as I scrounge for more bolts.

TheMap
05-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Ciik wrote:

TheMap wrote:

Listen. It's too early to tell. Many of us have been on the receiving end of Fallen Earth, Mortal Online and Darkfall. No one should be swinging their pom poms until we actually do realize game-play.

I appreciate the devs continued push, and it's not to say none of it is appreciated, but its one thing to be impressed with the concept of a game, and another for that concept to be delivered.

So we all wait patiently as things come together, and as I scrounge for more bolts.

Your point on its too early to tell is false. I have been in MANY betas. I can tell from the character movement and the way the game plays that it is SOLID. As I said, Xsyon feels like im actually moving a character around. Fallen Earth did not, it felt empty half assed and buggy.

No one is swinging any pom poms. My observation is from MY experience. I have been playing MO for 3 months on and off. The game itself when working is solid as well. That doesn't mean its not lacking things, same goes with Xsyon.

Xbwalker
05-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Dude I love your avatar. It's from Dark Crystal correct?

That was directed at Meradin whoops.

(Edit we do have edit butons :) )

Twosock
05-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Xbwalker wrote:

That was directed at Meradin woops.

Acctually i have no idea im sorry to say.
Just something i found on one of many avatar sites.

Just makes me happy when i see it. Sadly its not animated on these forums for some reason.
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12/meradin28/avatar_7545.gif

Looks like you are correct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_and_races_of_the_Dark_Crystal#Fizzgig/) its a Fizzgig

Xbwalker
05-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Great movie too btw. I grew up watching this one. Back before we traded good stories for terrible 3D movies.

Makestro
05-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Kunra wrote:

Virtus wrote:

I'd love to see someone beta test their game after onl;y a few years of working on it and not have server issues... you realize how much code and shit has to work perfectly? Each person is generating actions in the database with every action they do. Of course nothing is at 100% especially in closed beta.... it's why we're not getting floods of emails to get into beta even though some of us pre-ordered.

The fact they are patching multiple times a day gives me more hope then lets say AV who during my time in beta they would patch maybe 1 times a day and leave the game completely broken for days on end with no hot fix to even make the game a little smoother. Then at launch... well after launch the devs made another horrible set of mistakes... AV made mistake after mistake after mistake... while I see these guys admitting they're having issues and fix them over a series of patches they push out like they actually care.

Ciik
05-12-2010, 03:19 PM
TheMap wrote:

Ciik wrote:

TheMap wrote:

Your point on its too early to tell is false. I have been in MANY betas. I can tell from the character movement and the way the game plays that it is SOLID. As I said, Xsyon feels like im actually moving a character around. Fallen Earth did not, it felt empty half assed and buggy.

No one is swinging any pom poms. My observation is from MY experience. I have been playing MO for 3 months on and off. The game itself when working is solid as well. That doesn't mean its not lacking things, same goes with Xsyon.

lol, comon. You just swung your pom pom with the "the game is SOLID" capitalized comment. Stop with the unremarkable simpletoness cheerleading. We f-en get it. Your easily pleased with sparkly shit and character movement alone, and Im not.

Im glad that my character moves, in-between the immediate and often server freezes, but that isn't the litmus test for indie game success and adoption, sorry to break it to ya and your "MO" experience.

So as we're all optimistic, dont get your skirt in a bundle when I'm being cautiously apprehensive and cautiously optimistic. my point is that It's too early to tell about whether this is a solid game with so little implemented and so much that needs to be tested.

So, again, I appreciate the devs continued push and communication, as we watch and listen from inside and outside the game, as its one thing to be impressed with the concept of a game on the heels of what cursory stuff has been completed, and another for that concept to be delivered enough to engage and keep engaged a core audience.

kiwibird
05-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Ciik wrote:
so little implemented and so much that needs to be tested.Just to interrupt on this statement just because you do not have access too, doesn't mean it isn't implemented. That is not everything is being tested will make it into this period of time...

To me its important to keep a little secrets, for example, how totem poles work, the armours players can make when they are a [.not_allowed_to_say that.].

But you get the idea, there are a lot of features coded, and a lot of feature we have seen, but not all, and I'm sure not all will be tested by players.

Last post on the subject of features that I can remember said they where 80% finished for most of them. I can only guess its 85% for the overall features now... but again, that's my personal guess.

Diocletian
05-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Crafting is relatively straight forward.
Building is also relatively straight forward.
The Tribal System, not so much.

sicarius
05-12-2010, 06:45 PM
prokop15 wrote:

Diocletian wrote:

Crafting is relatively straight forward.
Building is also relatively straight forward.
The Tribal System, not so much.

God your posts are more useless than mine.

Me too, i just want a huge post count.

TheMap
05-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Ciik wrote:

lol, comon. You just swung your pom pom with the "the game is SOLID" capitalized comment. Stop with the unremarkable simpletoness cheerleading. We f-en get it. Your easily pleased with sparkly shit and character movement alone, and Im not.

Im glad that my character moves, in-between the immediate and often server freezes, but that isn't the litmus test for indie game success and adoption, sorry to break it to ya and your "MO" experience.

So as we're all optimistic, dont get your skirt in a bundle when I'm being cautiously apprehensive and cautiously optimistic. my point is that It's too early to tell about whether this is a solid game with so little implemented and so much that needs to be tested.

So, again, I appreciate the devs continued push and communication, as we watch and listen from inside and outside the game, as its one thing to be impressed with the concept of a game on the heels of what cursory stuff has been completed, and another for that concept to be delivered enough to engage and keep engaged a core audience.

Says the guy touting the fucking cheerleader analogy. Tone it down son, I cant tell if you are a troll or just a stubborn person. If you are not happy with the progress go play minesweep for the next month until things get moving. The schedule is there own and any whining from you about how things need tested, pretty much doesn't do anyone any good.

The server stability has gone up considerably and I and many others havn't frozen in the past few days let alone been kicked from the server. Maybe you need to read up on the game an how it works before you cry that its not working properly. I'd be willing to bet you ran out of stamina.

From what they have in right now things are still being ironed out, yet again if you read the bug reports you would understand that the current bugs needs fixed before Jooky brings in more content.

Maybe this is your first beta test and you don't know any better. Then i forgive your ignorance. Maybe you come from Fallen Earth and my comment about it being a piece of shit pissed you off? I don't know, but your hard-on for me is noted.

Edit: The bolded statement requires a /facepalm.. I mean wtf are you talkin about, I don't even think you know.

TheMap
05-12-2010, 07:38 PM
prokop15 wrote:

Chill out TheMap, you're dumber than him.

Hmm says the guy coming from a clan of trolls... :silly:

sicarius
05-12-2010, 07:39 PM
TheMap wrote:

prokop15 wrote:

LOL

Gunz
05-12-2010, 07:39 PM
TheMap wrote:

prokop15 wrote:

troll

Kunra
05-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Ok, time to delete this thread before things go even farther and someone ends up banned.

sicarius
05-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Kunra wrote:

Ok, time to delete this thread before things go even farther and someone ends up banned.

People keep pointing to troll finger but I don't see anything of the sort going on. No one is being griefed.

Diocletian
05-12-2010, 08:14 PM
In before the split for derailment.

But at this point, the updates can only get better.