Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crafting UI - jury rigging or experimentation

I know that the crafting system is going to be more complex than will allow a simple UI to autopick items from your inventory for all possible combinations - however:

Why not have a default screen that will allow you to autopick your best tools and best items for a job when you select a recipe. If you lack those items or wish to experiment, have another button click on the recipe itself to allow you to experiment.

I am concerned about the clicktastic RSI risk of the current system to those of us that will most certainly be doing a lot of crafting with the current drag and drop everything method for every recipe. Making secondary materials like grass thread/string/twine, or cloth scraps/thread/string/twine could easily be made single clickable. If it is possible to improve on these recipes, then people might experiment, but there will be many times when you just want to make simple stuff (for new villagers for instance, or for practicing) and have no need of complex crafting.

Re:Crafting UI - jury rigging or experimentation

The problem I see with this is that you're supposed to experiment and figure it out, not have a screen that tells you what's best.

Then perhaps allow people to "unlock" the option to create default items at a certain level of skill.

I haven't seen enough of the crafting system to be comfortable with the sheer amount of clicking that the current system requires for quite a few combinations. What I have seen seems to indicate that at least some recipes are going to be very repetitive. Making thread/string/scraps/twine, etc. These are the recipes that don't seem as if they will benefit from any sort of enhanced crafting - basically processed raw materials, not finished items.

Deciding if you want to use wool thread or cotton thread or acrylic thread or denim thread or grass thread is slightly more complex. No doubt that they will most likely have pros and cons for each material.

prokop15 wrote:
    Then a better system for selecting the components can be implemented. The current system is honestly offensive.

EDIT: It should be mentioned that many menus and actions in-game have similar control issues. These need to be addressed.
    I would much prefer not to have any options other then those that I put forward myself. I've already read about people putting things together that they never thought they would be able to.

A possible solution would to have a 'save recipe' and 'load recipe' buttons. When you get your mats/tools set for a repetitive task, instead of clicking 'craft' click 'save recipe'. then next time you go to make it, select the recipe you want from a drop down and it will pull the items from your inventory into the craft ui.

That way you can experiment, and choose which mats you like best and save them as your own recipe so no carpel tunnel for the long haul.

jessebfox wrote:
    A possible solution would to have a 'save recipe' and 'load recipe' buttons. When you get your mats/tools set for a repetitive task, instead of clicking 'craft' click 'save recipe'. then next time you go to make it, select the recipe you want from a drop down and it will pull the items from your inventory into the craft ui.

That way you can experiment, and choose which mats you like best and save them as your own recipe so no carpel tunnel for the long haul.
    I agree, If I choose to save a recipe I should be able to autofill the mats / tools for that recipe if I pull it up to make it again. If I want to experiment with changing things around it should be a drag and drop option, this sounds like the best option imho.

jessebfox wrote:

I agree, If I choose to save a recipe I should be able to autofill the mats / tools for that recipe if I pull it up to make it again. If I want to experiment with changing things around it should be a drag and drop option, this sounds like the best option imho.

Jooky has said that he will change the system so that the player only needs to right click on a material or tool, and if that material or tools is a valid part of the current recipe it will be automatically added instead of having to drag and drop the items into boxes.

This is all that is needed to reduce the RSI factor of crafting atm.

Hopefully we'll see this soon as it really is a pain.

jessebfox wrote:

I could go for this if nothing elegant presents itself.