Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Screen Resolution and Stretching

I did a little experimentation with Photoshop on the female characters and then played with the different screen resolutions on different monitors.

I discovered something interesting that I hope is not the way the game will be. It seems that the game screen stretches or compresses depending on the chosen game resolution. This is one reason we are seeing distorted female characters, though the hips are still a little big. The screen stretching emphasizes this, where it is not as evident in the male characters.

Below is in game screen shots at different resolution widths, all 768 pixels tall.

So I have a question, is this intended, or will screen width setting eventually make a difference in the image real estate we see in game?

Oh, and the arms are still too thin in each resolution.

Re:Screen Resolution and Stretching

SHOPPED!

but i think this is a bug

It appears the game doesn't correct the aspect ratio. For example, old tv shows and films will still display on a widescreen television, but are stretched, squashed, or parts of the screen left black; the set still displays the show at widescreen resolutions, but it is not displayed at the correct aspect ratio.

Correcting aspect ratio is done to ensure geometry appears correctly, and that familiar items are not stretched or squashed so as to appear unnatural.

Setting the resolution is controlled by DirectX and basically goes like this:

[ol]After the game initiallizes DirectX the game can ask DirectX what resolutions are available.

Then display those resolutions to the user.

Who then chooses one from the list DirectX has provided.[/ol]

Almost every game that has come out within the last 5 years has done it this way.

WOW ... those hips are GINORMOUS!! hmy:

... and yes the arms are much too skinny in relation to the body.

Xsyon, can we fix this please?

If this does not get fixed, I will refuse to leave our tribal settlement. :S :blush:

P.S - and no you can not come visit lol

Are these screenshots done in fullscreen or windowed mode?

Setting the resolution is controlled by DirectX and basically goes like this:

After the game initiallizes DirectX the game can ask DirectX what resolutions are available.

Then display those resolutions to the user.

Who then chooses one from the list DirectX has provided.
    That is exactly what we have set up.

Xsyon wrote:
    Are these screenshots done in fullscreen or windowed mode?
    These screenshots were taken in full screen mode. I know the full screen mode is not stretching on the screen because I get the black letterbox bars on the side in the lower screen widths. The stretching is evident in the wider screen widths.

My monitor is widescreen, actually a 32" TV that I'm using HDMI from my computer to it.

I can do a set in windowed mode if you need to see them in that format. I can test in 1080 too if you like.

Yes, I'd like to see a set in windowed format as well.

In fullscreen mode you'll need to set the game to a resolution that matches the monitor's aspect to have the correct proportions.

Ashanti wrote:
    WOW ... those hips are GINORMOUS!! hmy:

... and yes the arms are much too skinny in relation to the body.

Xsyon, can we fix this please?

If this does not get fixed, I will refuse to leave our tribal settlement. :S :blush:

P.S - and no you can not come visit lol
    I always thought the concept art for females was funny. It's like, "Oh uhh... We ran out of grass, so we couldn't finish yours. Here, try it on!"

Obviously we know which gender is making the costumes around here >.<.

Anyway, those models look... Unhealthy. Gangly arms, gigantic hips, and uber contracted stomach. What does it look like in 1680 by 1050?

Xsyon wrote:
    Yes, I'd like to see a set in windowed format as well.

In fullscreen mode you'll need to set the game to a resolution that matches the monitor's aspect to have the correct proportions.
    Ok, I'll do samples in every size I can. Once it stops snowing and the sun comes up.

I wish the days were longer and the nights shorter in game. :S Night seems to drag on forever, but I guess it's winter, so shorter daylight.