Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

07/23/2018 - Feedback Request - Animal Taming & Riding

Animal taming and mounts are ready for public testing!

For now I won't post too many details about the systems as I hope they are self-explanatory and easy to use. (If any aspects of these changes are confusing, let me know!)

If you have any questions or find any problems with the systems so far, please post them here.

Thanks!

Notes:

- Currently taming succeeds 100% of the time so that players can test pet ownership and mounts easier.

- Once any issues pet and mount movements and actions are resolved I will switch on the full taming system which will require feeding and other actions to improve the creature's attitude towards you before you can tame the creature.

- Players can only have one pet at the moment. Stables will be added shortly that will allow players to keep (and display) multiple pets.

- Only bears and deer can currently be ridden as mounts. Other large creatures (large enough coyotes, raccoons and mutants) will be set up as mounts later.

- Mount speeds are not yet finalized.

- Final feeding data for creatures (what food creatures will or will not eat) has not been patched yet.
    Last edited by Xsyon; 07-24-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Tamed a ground squirrel and found a few things he liked to eat. Then found a bear and tamed her to try riding. Pressing the sprint key seemed to change the animation speed, but not the actual mounted speed.

That was when problems began. I appeared to be standing up when mounted. After dismounting, I could walk and run on my own but the animation remained standing. Could not sit, lay down, forage, scavenge or enter combat. Could not bring up right click menus. Crafting menus would come up using the hot bar but had to drag and drop tools and mats as right click did not work. Clicking on the "Craft" button produced the "You can't craft while resting" message.

Relogging fixed the problems. Was able to remount/dismount without the above problems several times including with a mule deer.

Could not feed pets from the long bar pet menu (the unmovable one near the bottom of the screen), but could from the top bar accessed via the icon next to the critters hp bar. Mouse over on critter hp only displayed on tamed pets, not wild critters.

There are still animations in the works. For testing some animations were used for more then one action.
    --Guide Michael
    Guardian of the South and Element of the fire, Chief of the Archangels, Angel of Justice, Strength and Protection.

These should be correct now:

- Feed button in the 'pet commands' should work properly. This feeds your active pet not a selected creature.
    - HP for any selected creature should display on mouse over.

Can you reproduce the issue where the player was stuck standing? That's usually caused by a missing animation.

Regarding 'sprint', I haven't set up the final speeds for mounts yet. I'll post a note about it above.

Thanks!

I did notice one minor issue. If I am riding the mount and go onto a different surface, and then go to another surface, the surface noise from the last surface is present on the road.

So, if I was in water and then went on land...while on land it was still making the water treading sound. Same if I was on a trash pile, it stayed trash pile even when I got on the road.

The other question was, what if I get tired of the mount? How do I get rid of it since I can apparently have only one mount? I might have missed that.

I really hope you are doing well.

Lee

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by millsdo View Post
    The other question was, what if I get tired of the mount? How do I get rid of it since I can apparently have only one mount? I might have missed that.
    Bottom right corner of your screen, fourth icon in from the right opens the new "Pets" panel, under the pets tab you will see four options, one of those is "Set Free" which will revert the animal back into a "wild" animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
    These should be correct now:
    Can you reproduce the issue where the player was stuck standing? That's usually caused by a missing animation.
    Took a little longer but this bug happened again today. The first time I was briefly able to sit/lay down and eat (use right click actions). Remounting again caused the more severe bug where I could not rest or eat/drink. Relogging fixed the problem but it happened again after mounting. The 1st time today it happened in the middle of a ride, but later it happened immediately after mounting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018725_22_49_40.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	350.4 KB 
ID:	645  

I patched another build. Your mount's footsteps sounds should be correct based on your current surface now.

I'm trying to figure out the issue with the stuck standing animation. I did reproduce it once but I'm not sure exactly how. I'll keep working on that this weekend.

Thanks!

Figured I missed it.

Thanks!

Xsyon Citizen
    Killing myself in the mist while mounted has thrown up a couple of issues.

First one is when you die your "ghost" can still move around, well so can your mount, might look like it's sprawled out like a rug but it can still slide across the ground.

Second ones is when you revive, the mount comes back alright but you are stuck in a bent over pose wether you are mounted or not (see attached images).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_201884_12_2_6.png 
Views:	273 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_201884_12_2_45.png 
Views:	431 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	647