Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Regarding walking backwards to avoid attacks: In the old system (Main Servers) that's a major game-breaking bug. It's not an intentional feature. This simple bug caused many a headache and here is why...

--- A small group of players understood how to exploit this bug. They could defeat any creature using a new unskilled toon. It could be a long arduous process but it could be done.

--- With this bug exploit (especially in combination with hiding on rocks or other tricks), armor doesn't matter at all because creatures will never hit you. Combat skills and damage don't matter much either because it's just a matter of patience while leading a creature around to its ultimate defeat.

--- This was not reported to me (as happens with many bugs that players can exploit) until long after it was in game.

--- Because of this creatures were balanced based on feedback that they were too easy. They were too easy because of this bug that wasn't being explained to me. So I kept bumping up the stats on creatures.

--- The end result was a group of players that could easily kill any creature using this trick and a ton of players, especially new players, who didn't know of the trick and found even the smaller critters too hard to fight.

So let's put this issue to rest. I'm not going to re-introduce a game breaking bug so that players can simply walk backwards and avoid all attacks. It's not the kind of combat I'd enjoy and it's not what I want in this game. It's silly.

I am willing to add more complex moves such as parrying and dodging. Those are fine and makes sense. I will see about switching parrying back on first.
    Last edited by Xsyon; 03-25-2020 at 06:50 PM.