Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    1) Adjust swing power. I did this already and could up the damage a bit more. However, the more I boost swing power damage, the more combat relies on charged attacks and again we get the problem that new players (and a lot of player in general) just are looking to click attack as they do in games they are familiar with. - Players will get familiar with the way a game works if they like the game.

2) Remove swing power / charged attacks. - I rely on the power swing for everything, and I have to say that to use it and try to block and parry its a bit of nuisance, however, I like the damage it does, not sure if removing it is the solution, but it could be a start .

3) Replace swing power attacks with special attacks from the action bar / hot key. These could be, for example, a slower attack that does double damage. This worries me. This would make the game similar to so many others that I no longer play, and I keep coming back here because of what I can do in this game and my chances of survival, I have enough stuff on the action bar, why add more?.

From my point of view, the charged attack vs the hot key power attack are very similar. The main differences would be how the action is initiated (through mouse action vs a key) and timing (charged attacks can be done at any time, a power attack should have a cool down like in other games). sounds similar to black desert online?

Here are things that I have worked on and plan to release as part of this patch series:

1) Artisan and Master weapons including bonuses based on specific weapon types such as critical strike and defense (parry) bonuses. I like the idea, need to know more how it will work with the current combat style

2) Ranged combat. like the idea, but I think we need to figure out the current combat issues before adding more "issues to deal with" to combat

As usual, if you have a suggestion that is similar to something in another game, please list the game or games so that I can potentially check it out directly. not sure if you are familiar with the game "dragons dogma" combat style, but it could give you some ideas that may help develop or improve current system

Note: If I missed anything, please post and I will add it to this top post.

Note: Please keep suggestions as concise as possible and the arguments to a minimum. It's taking me a long time to go through these threads (and suggestions) to pick out the actual suggestions. If you keep trying to please us all, you are going to drive your self crazy, stick with your passion, on why you started this game. I understand you are looking for suggestions, and we all can give you advice, so far I see only two people giving advice, in two different ways, you're not going to please both. I could be the person that unbalances this, but I have my own ideas on how combat should work. I know you would like to see more people in this game, but the people are not leaving the game because of combat, I feel they leave because this game is not their cup of tea, the detail on what it takes to create a single brick, people want things the easy way, but they have minecraft for that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
    Sorry, but I have to laugh at this. Welcome to the world of PvP conflict.

Do you not realize that with as few players as we have right not you have also been reported many times for harassing people?

You and other PvP players have asked that I don't have Guides or mediators and let players sort out their conflicts on their own, yet so many come crying to me when you become 'the harassed' instead of 'the harasser'.

So duke it out in game or wherever, kill each other in PvP, just keep it off here and I'm not going to babysit War Server chat. lol

Both creatures and players have a left and right swipe attack that can be parried by a left or right parry. In addition players have up and down attacks, again that can be parried by up and down parries.

What you are suggesting as 'easy' is ALREADY IN THE GAME.

This was not easy to implement, but due to the synchronization, implementation, or whatever other reason, you don't even notice that it's in the game.

So, as I was saying, I am doing my best. This is why I don't want anyone to have unreasonable expectations on combat.

Enough with the arguing and insults. You are mostly arguing with yourself as nobody is suggesting most of what you are fighting against. I am primarily asking questions about other combat systems and seek opinions from more than just two players.
    Its cool man, your not paying me anything to help you develop this game so I'm laughing at you for letting this asshole derail us for two weeks while we had previously hashed out parry update in a couple days.

You want to keep giving this guy the time of day and treat me like I'm crazy for trying to help you? I don't NEED to help you develop this game, your not paying me for my experience here.

I'm playing last oasis cuz it seems clear to me that the direction of this game is not going to be combat focused so I'm giving up trying to help you do something you don't want to do or you seem too overwhelmed to do.

The only thing I regret is that I've put too many hours in to get a refund, I honestly didn't expect development to take a total turn in the opposite direction due to ddt being so loud in disagreement that we can't move beyond balancing in two weeks where it took us a couple days to balance previously without him.

Development has been heavily slown down and turned around to the opposite direction.

I no longer wish to play the game if this is the direction its going, I'm sad I put so much effort into this for nothing when I am getting paid to do this otherwise, I gave you free work and your just gona shrug me off to agree with ddt cuz NETHER of you play combat games?

You keep telling me your not a combat programmer, so I try to explain to you how you can do it cuz you seem overwhelmed here claiming bullshit like "I cant do it cuz im not a muli milllion dollar studio" yet you throw away my advise to listen to ddt and turn it into a WoW clone? Holy crap dude, you both deserve each other, when this game dies remember this dividing moment in time as the moment you could've actually fixed your game but instead you decided to throw something ontop of the problem in hopes it solved it....

Like can you even think through what these changes will do before you make them? Thats HALF OF GAME DEVELOPMENT yet you seem unable to process this basic skill; being able to see the future of what your changes will do... Maybe thats the problem with having a solo studio cuz you don't have anyone to bounce ideas off of and double check your ideas... I've been trying to do that for you, but if everything I say is invalid cuz ddt is here than whats the fucking point?

Your not paying me and I'm wasting my time so I may as well fuck off and play a game I actually enjoy playing if this game will never have enjoyable combat.

Black Desert Online is yet another great example of combat.

Slow wind up, fast swing, this is what I've been trying to get you to do, make attacks more visually predictable, atm all attacks are smooth, it feels unnatural.

I could keep going, sharing my expertise that seems invalid here, but it doesn't matter if your going to add WoW skill spam combat so I donno why I'm even bothering to comment when I've logged out and don't intend on logging back in.
    Last edited by Static; 06-14-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Black Desert Online is yet another great example of combat.

Slow wind up, fast swing, this is what I've been trying to get you to do, make attacks more visually predictable, atm all attacks are smooth, it feels unnatural.

I could keep going, sharing my expertise that seems invalid here, but it doesn't matter if your going to add WoW skill spam combat so I donno why I'm even bothering to comment when I've logged out and don't intend on logging back in.
    Yes Black Desert Online has great combat. Hotkeys with cooldowns is what I was talking about.

https://youtu.be/xhJFw9aJtaI?t=1354

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Yes Black Desert Online has great combat. Hotkeys with cooldowns is what I was talking about.

https://youtu.be/xhJFw9aJtaI?t=1354
    ? So when I use LO and mount n blade for examples of combat cues its "no thats a horrid idea"

But when talking about BD for combat cues (the same suggestion but with a different example)

NOW you agree with it?

Holy fuck why have you been arguing with me for two weeks than?

Its extremely upsetting for me, someone who is currently working in the gaming industry, to be attempting to offer someone legitimate advise when they say "I'm not a combat programer, I donno what to do or how to balance this" and have someone like ddt derail everything due to their own inability to understand what a example is, Last Oasis, mount n blade, BD those are all EXAMPLES of combat cues done in DIFFERENT WAYS.

I don't care if DDT likes or doesn't like Last oasis or mount n blade or BD, they where legitimate examples of combat cues and better swing mechanics than are currently in xsyon... And since my suggestion was to focus on combat cues and swing mechanics, while jordi was asking for example in other games, this made all 3 of these games VALID EXAMPLES that we could take combat cues and swing mechanic CONCEPTS from... as in, jordi is not a combat programer, hes not aware of concepts or even the workflow of combat.... I've worked with combat programmers on my team and have worked on balancing before... thats why I was able to throw together a quick list of balances based on your requirements so quickly once I had all the data... I'm legitimate trying to help by donating my time here when I am normally paid for this otherwise, so forgive me if I'm upset with the fact I'm spending more time arguing with ddt's inability to understand what I'm saying than actually adding to the development to the game... thats why I said I should step away cuz this is going nowhere.. but I also don't want to see the loudest asshole be the person you listen to so I honestly hope you can see that the possibly harder path is better here.. yes it would be easier to slap some special skills on the game and claim it makes it better, but it won't change how every other aspect of combat feels so you will still eventually need to do that, unless you intend to leave it in this unfun state... but I don't think your trying to make a game that is unfun... so I'm trying to help you make things more fun, parry update has already been a huge step in the right direction of making combat more interactive.. thats the point, more interactive, adding special skills isn't going to solve the creature interaction problem or the player swing animation problem or balance combat.

Like if we had a special skill that let us climb a cliff, that sounds awesome. (its a action you cant do otherwise)

Like if we had a special skill that lets you chop down a tree, that sounds awesome. (yes im aware its in the game already, but its a action, not a attack)

A special skill that lets you stun or bleed someone when ddt can already 2 hit 95% of the player population, making it so nobody on the entire server could fight him? That sounds insanely unbalanced.

At that point skill no longer matters and its whoever has highest stats... seems obvious why ddt wants it.

Alot of Last Oasis players I'm talking to, really dislike the fact the oasis burns up in a week, this means that there is no way really to keep your tribe/buildings from week to week... Alot of players I've talked to would love to play a game with combat close to this with multi directional twitch combat that is skill based like LO or mount n blade or BD or life is feudal ect the list goes on, but in a world where they can keep things going for longer than a week... Honestly every time I hear people COMPLAIN about Last Oasis on their discord I can't help but think "if xsyon finished its combat, this would be the game they are looking for.. but since its not.. its not the game they are looking for"
    Last edited by Static; 06-14-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    ? So when I use LO and mount n blade for examples of combat cues its "no thats a horrid idea"

But when talking about BD for combat cues (the same suggestion but with a different example)

NOW you agree with it?

Black Desert is a lot more to it's combat than combat cues. It also has hotkey skills like WOW does. So it is mixed directional attacks and cues with special skills.
    This is what I want, and I said as much.

So yes, I agree Black Desert's combat would be great in Xsyon. However, I do not think he can code/animate all the stuff BD has. I do think he can have some good WOW style combat skills like I said, with directional combat.

Having Last Oasis's combat system is very basic. Its 3 directions, with 3 directional blocking. Is it skillful? Yes, but its basic and boring. Which is why I want to add some flavor to it.

The people you are talking about in Last Oasis they want PVP focus'd game. Sieges, Clan Wars, Contested areas, mounted combat. Ranged attacks. Healing postions etc etc.
    These things can be done in Xsyon, but as Xsyon has said many times. This game is not going to be combat focused. Those systems take a LONG time to code and test.

Why can't we have flavored, fun, interactive combat like Black Desert first. Then maybe down the road after months+ we can add in some PVP stuff.
    Lets have creatures have special moves first. Lets have mounts. Lets have things like bandages. These things are fun for both PVP and PVE. Also the Last Oasis type of players want that also.