Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thurgond View Post
    Sorry for not testing earlier. I am very confused by the new interface.
    I can add another bar for crafting actions with key binds. However, I do want to set up a tabbed crafting panel to be more consistent with other games. When I do that I can allow for both options (old vs new).

I do plan to set up all these bars so that players can turn them on and off and display the ones they want on at the time.

About the double panels (Packs, Resources), I'm not finished with the changes. The old Pack and Resource panels will be removed in favor of the action bars and the keys that turned on the old panels can be used to turn the bars on and off.

Yes, the bar with the hands is the combat bar.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyry View Post
    The splitting of the bars is an approvement.

a) Today I tried to move the scavenging/foraging window around the screen. However, I was unable to move it below the red line in the screenshot.
    That's intentional because that action bar needs room for the additional resources (grass, scrap, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyry View Post
    b) The weapon cannot be dragged to the hands icons. I had to open the inventory to put it at the correct location to be able to use it for attacks. It does not show in the hands icons either. Please see screenshot.
    Yup, I'm not done with that action bar. (That's the combat one)

Thanks!

Sorry for not testing earlier. I am very confused by the new interface.

There seems to be no way to assign crafting skills to a number key. I will hate having to open the Actions panel to do craft skills and a tabbed panel doesn't sound inviting. Seldom or never used functions from the Actions panel (logging, terraforming, farming (plowing not tending crops) and skinning) are now on a bar that can't be closed. Assigning number keys to these misc. actions is a total waste to me.

Number keys are now assigned to gathering actions which are not needed. The materials available for gathering change and it will be more difficult to see what number is assigned to each resource rather than clicking on the resource you want.

There are now three bars for the Packs: the old bar with 10 slots and two new five slot bars that can't be opened and closed. Guessing one of these is the combat panel.

Forage and scavenge are in two panels-- the resource panel with numbers and a separate two slot panel that actually can be opened and closed.

Assigning a tool to an action is a small improvement, but not as useful as it sounds for me. I'm not likely to do more terraforming or plowing and I regularly use three different knives on a single dead critter.

What the interface really needs is the ability to resize fonts. Don't care for these changes at all.

Crafting Skills are going to be in 1 window as Xsyon said the actions window is going to be gone. (U hot key)
    So instead of having 10+ hotkeys for each crafting. You will open the crafting window with 1 key, and craft anything from there.

All those functions you listed "Logging, terraforming etc" are not just hotkeys, but tool slots also. This will create a LOT less hotkeys needed as you will cut down all the crafting hotkeys to 1 key, and then you equip a tool and use that slot as a hotkey.

Needed for resources bound to a hotkey? Sure its not needed but its a quality of life thing. Right clicking all the time is not fun. So much better to use a keyboard hotkey for many of these things.

I do agree with you that people should have the option to turn off any hotbar they do not want to see like the packs window. Pretty sure the packs window (old one P hot key) is going away. One thing I like about the new hotbar is on death you don't have to open it again.

The open and closed panel is going away. Again same as packs, I think you should be allowed to turn off any window you like, however, I do like on death the new window does not close, which means I don't have to open it each time.

The 3 knives (not sure why you would use 3) doesn't matter because its still faster this way. You can easy put the knife into the skinning slot and not have to worry about reequipping weapons or having your left hand free, or changing out weapons in your right hand. So you could dual wield shovels, and skin with 3 knives and only have to change our each knife as you want to, you don't have to move the shovels.
    Unlike before, you would have to kill the animal, move the shovels. Put the knife in, skin, put another knife in, skin, put another knife in, skin, then remove the knife, and put the shovels.
    For almost all people, they likely wont have to move anything. They will simply kill the animal and click skin. Saving a massive amount of pain.

I totally agree with the fonts.

I just want to be able to open a craft with one keystroke. I don't want both an craft bar and a craft window with tabs. If I can open a craft tab for a specific craft with a bound key, I'll be happy.

DDT, a craft window that wouldn't require at least 2 keystrokes/clicks to open a specific craft otherwise it would be a huge mess. That's what the tabs are for. I understand how marrying a tool and an action would save keystrokes, it just won't save me as many as others. I use a blade as my weapon, and I also carry a 114 quality blade I looted from the ruins of IS long ago.

I just want to be able to open a craft with one keystroke. I don't want both an craft bar and a craft window with tabs. If I can open a craft tab for a specific craft with a bound key, I'll be happy.

DDT, a craft window that wouldn't require at least 2 keystrokes/clicks to open a specific craft otherwise it would be a huge mess. That's what the tabs are for. I understand how marrying a tool and an action would save keystrokes, it just won't save me as many as others. I use a blade as my weapon, and I also carry a 114 quality blade I looted from the ruins of IS long ago.
    I'm not sure if you understand what is going to happen.

You will have 1 key opens crafting. Then you have a list of all the recipes.

So currently if you want to make a scrappers craft knife. You click your hot key for toolcrafting. Then find the scrappers craft knife on the list. Click it. Then put the mats in it and click craft.

New system, you click the hot key for crafting. Find scrapers craft knife on the list. Click it. Then put the mats in it and click craft.

So nothing will change for you other than you only need 1 crafting hot key and not 10.

I have a feature suggestion that might benefit some players. I often put my windows in certain spots and leave them open (INV to the side, skills window in the top corner, etc) and sometimes when in a rush and dragging say your cart out of your hands, dropping your bag or moving items between windows I accidentally drag the whole window - I'd love it if a lock feature could be implemented to toggle locking a window in place so it can't be moved like other games have (maybe a different name/icon since a lock is used for permissions in inventories right now, next to stack) otherwise maybe making windows only be dragged at the top, and not via just anywhere. I'd love to hear how others feel about this. It's just something I thought might go well with these new UI changes! I'm loving the updates, thanks for your work Xsyon.
    Last edited by Lohn; 08-06-2020 at 12:23 PM.

The Test Server is up with further revisions to the interface:

1) The keybind panel is redone with additional keys. Players will be able to bind keys to all crafts for now in addition to the skills and resources.

2) By default the game resolution will be set to a larger scale based on your current screen resolution (instead of the default of 1024x768).

3) Tools in the Skills Action Bar display full tool tip info. I will set up a switch to turn this on and off for players that want a simpler display (Logging - Tool Name for example).

4) I replaced the Actions panel with a Crafts Action Bar. This can be set horizontal or vertical like the other action bars. Eventually I will set up an improved tabbed Craft panel and allow this Action Bar as an option for those that prefer this style.

5) You can drag and drop weapons from the Combat Action Bar. I will set up special attacks from this bar in a near future patch.

6) The swing power gauge is now used for XP. I think this works ok for now. The other option would be to have the XP bar look similar to what it was but in its own panel. With all the separated Action Bars though I think the gauge may be best.

7) The Level Up / Stat Adjust plus buttons appear attached to the main control icons (Skills, Stats, etc.)

I think this is ready for a public patch but welcome all feedback and will fix any important issues first.

Thanks!

Note: About locking panels as requested above, setting panels so that their handles are just at the top is probably the best solution for that problem. Some panels, like the Action Bars I am setting up would be dragged by selecting between icons though unless I made explicit visible handles for the panels.
    Last edited by Xsyon; 08-07-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
    Note: About locking panels as requested above, setting panels so that their handles are just at the top is probably the best solution for that problem. Some panels, like the Action Bars I am setting up would be dragged by selecting between icons though unless I made explicit visible handles for the panels.
    So the newer windows are dragged via the top bars only, with some exceptions like the action bars? If so, that's perfect. I mainly had issues with the current (soon to be old) packs window or inventories when miss-clicking and dragging an empty spot instead of my items. Thanks for the reply and thanks for all your hard work on the UI and pets.

Sorry for double post, but I just thought of something. Instead of putting the farming Plow action as part of the Terraforming Panel instead of a separate small panel, why not add buttons for the watering, clearing weeds, clearing pests, and fertilizing options and putting them in the farming skill panel? It would save on the user right-clicking so much and make farming easier on the hands and less tedious and less painful due to repetitive motions. I wish I had thought to suggest this sooner, since you've put so much work into everything already.

A new build is on the Test Server.

With this build the main Panels called from the Command Icons (Skills, Stats, Inventory, Pets, Social, Tribe) can be dragged only by the top bar.

I've put the request for Farming changes on my list. Makes sense but is too complicated for this next patch.

Thanks!