07/06/2022 - Feedback Request - War System - Test Server

Hello everyone!

Updated 08/30/2022

I am updating this post to get the most current feedback on the upcoming War System. I believe the system currently on the Test Server is good enough for public play but we can test for one more month and hopefully I can release this system in early October.

Please review the system and let me know if anything is not functioning properly or if you'd like to see changes to the current system.

What's left to do:

1) Meshes for some destroyed building parts. These are mostly complete but I still need to finish some destroyed masonry walls.

2) Final time and damage variable settings. This is a quick adjustment that will take place right before I patch the system. For testing purposes times are accelerated.

What's been recently added:

1) Repairing destroyed building parts.

2) Automatic restoration of totems after a battle.

3) Cost of 1000 dollar bills to place a totem.

4) Regional buff applied to Tribe Allies

5) Region Info button removed. (I may bring it back later when I figure out what additional info would be helpful for players).

6) Sector crossing message removed. (This was just a message for the Test Server and is not currently needed).

7) Charged attacks do more damage, similar to regular combat.

8) Posts and other destructible parts updated.

9) Announcement system / conquest panel that displays the status of currently contested regions. I plan to adjust this to give a warning for when a region is about to become contested as well (maybe an hour or two in advance).

10) Conquest Totems can be named / labelled.

11) I checked the hit box on the totems and it seems fine to me. It's a box around the entire pole and top.

War System:

- Tribes are allowed control over an entire region. To control a region they must have their Tribe within the region and then place 3 control totems within the region. Regions are the natural underlying territories such as Zephyr, King Beach, Crystal, etc.

- Currently any Tribe can place control totems. Only the Tribe Leader can place the totems but all Tribe members can see the current state and location of these totems in the Tribe panel, Totems tab.

- Control totems claim a small plot of land, 30x30 meters. They must be placed under the following conditions:

-- Control totems must be in the same Region as the claiming Tribe.
    -- Control totems must be X meters away from each other. (currently 50m for testing)
    -- Control totems must be X meters away from all tribes. (currently 50m for testing)
    -- All 3 totems must be placed within X minutes of the first totem being placed. If the final totem is not placed within the time limits, the totems expire and are removed.

- After 3 control totems are placed, the totems and their associated lands enter a Preparation phase. During this phase, the claiming Tribe can safely build walls to protect their totems.

- At the end of the Preparation phase, the control totems and their associated lands enter the first Claiming Contested phase. During this phase, enemy Tribes can attack and destroy control totems and any buildings on their associated lands. If any of the control totems survives this phase, the Region is claimed.

- Once or twice a week control totems become Contested for a certain period of time (an hour). The Tribe Leader will be able to specify the time when a totem becomes Contested. If the Tribe Leader does not specify a time within a week of the last Contested period, the totems will automatically become Contested one week from the previous period.

- While Contested, players from other tribes can attack the control totems and destroy them. The goal during a battle would be to kill off your enemy while your tribe mates remain alive to protect the control totems.

- If all three control totems are destroyed, the Region becomes unclaimed and the attacking Tribe or Tribes can try to place new control totems to claim the Region.

- If even one control totem remains intact after the Contested period, the controlling Tribe retains power over the Region.

- If you are within a Region that your Tribe controls, you receive a ‘In Tribal Region’ buff. This buff will also apply to your Tribe's Allies.

- Control of a Region gives the Tribe and its Allies resource bonuses. Tribe members and Allies get:
    -- 2x amount of scavenged resources
    -- + 10 bonus to quality level (but not exceeding the max quality)
    -- Increased chance of finding rare materials

Potential Enhancements:

- Keeping control over a Region will require some form of upkeep resources. This will be done through the Town panel.

- I am thinking of setting Contested Regions to be full loot PvP to add additional risk to these battles.

- Controlled Regions will give a chance for extremely rare materials or resources that would only be found on controlled Regions.

- Allowing all players to build ramps and platforms (to get over walls) when control totems are Contested. (I’m not decided on this yet as you will be able to destroy buildings to get through them).

- Map displays region ownership.

Notes:

The things listed in 'enhancements' above are not set up yet and will be future improvements after I patch the current system.

I will consider other suggestions though some are a bit too complicated for now and I'd like to wrap up the initial release of this system then see how it can be further improved.

If there is anything else that I missed that would prevent this system from going live, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Xsyon; 08-30-2022 at 07:52 PM.

When setting up conquest totems, leaving the boundaries of the first and second totems gives the messages "Crossing Sector Boundary Begin...Sector: 5" "Crossing Sector Boundary End...Sector: 5 Zone: 3326", followed by a pretty huge lag spike that freezes the game for about 3-5 seconds. Strangely it doesn't seem to happen with the third totem, instead just staying with the normal "Leaving War Totem 3"

Here's some ideas for conquest.

A server or regional announcement that a tribe is trying to take over the region, giving players idea and incentive to go fight.

A cost to put down control totems. It can be anything from money, to materials, or items, to help ensure that people need to think about the right time and places to place their totem, and also so that they can't place around too freely. The cost can keep them out from retrying immediately, as punishment or risk for failing to capture.

Destroying a totem can add time to the contested phase, helps put pressure on the defending tribe, as well as give the attacking tribes time to locate the next totems and think. Could also be proportional to the distance between totems, so there's enough time to travel and fight in case some totems are placed impossibly far.

My question is, what is the region info button going to say? Will it be who controls the region? Or where the totems are?
    Last edited by legend552; 07-09-2022 at 07:05 AM.

My arch is low on my character, so I'm only able to build a Gadu Barricade, but when the broken barricade appears in place of the normal barricade, the camera seems to get forced into its "Hitbox", that same issue from a while ago when the roofs and trusses blocked the camera as if it were a block or edge.

Charged or uncharged attacks all deal the same damage to a structure, which seems to be 100. I'm not sure if this will be changed, but it would be better to have charged attacks deal more damage, and weak attacks do far less.

It's a bit odd trying to destroy a control totem, as the hitbox seems to be the signboard on the totem.

I think it would be cool to be able to rename conquest totems once control of the area has been affirmed, like how you're able to rename the tribe town name but keep the tribe name separate. It could help to identify which totem is what, so if one falls, you know which totem fell. Such as naming one "Wooden Fort", and the other one "Stone Fort", so you know both what is where, and their status.

The conquest totem that gets taken down says "Replaced in X game minutes", but when the safe phase arrives, the totem does not come back. This also gives me an idea that the ghost of the totem should appear when the safe phase arrives, and if you want to restore it, it should cost either building material or money to bring it back.

I also think that building quality could affect either the health of the final structure, or the resistance, "armor", of the defending wall, to make both the building materials, and the architect/builder matter more for defense.

Final current idea could be that if you set a pet to patrol while within control totem land during the contested phase, the animal will attack any enemy tribe on sight, as a passive defense. It should only detect enemies who aren't in hide mode, or have a higher perception than the pet's owner in hide mode, to give players an opportunity to get close.

Next idea regarding attackers vs. defenses are the damage types different from charged attacks. That is, you should need different tools to take down different structures, based on their type/class.

For example, scavenger/pioneer/wood type buildings get bonus damage from Axe type weapons, while getting bonus defense from all others. This makes it so that when attacking certain walls or structures, you'll need to bring either a single or multiple types of weapons to take them down easier, even if it means sacrificing your main weapon type, and making the defense think about the type of enemies they will have to deal with.

My main damage bonus ideas come to:

Grass/Leather/Gadu are weak to Blades, but strong to Clubs.
    Mason/Stone are weak to Pickaxes, but strong to Blades.
    Pioneer/Scavenger/Wood are weak to Axes, but strong to Shovels.
    I'm stumped on Scrapper, but since it takes such a high Architect level to build, I think maybe it can be weak to none, but strong against none either.

The idea of structures being strong to a damage type is to give the defending wall bonus defense against a certain damage type. It would make sense that a knife blade wouldn't be able to cut through stone without great difficulty. Any structure that isn't especially weak or strong against a specific type instead take the regular base damage of the attacker.