Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rain without clouds?

When you look up in the sky you may see the clouds, but when you look at the ground you can see the shadows.

When it rains everything should be grayed a bit and shadows be less sharp. In many videos it seems as if someone opened a firehose in a mid-summer day.

It would suffice to dim the light (much like is done during the night) to a less bright color so that the highlight is much nearer to the shadowed light, if not even the same, removing all shadows.

EDIT: I might also add that when the rain is very strong dark gray haze or fog should be added to simulate raindrops filling up the volume.

Re:Rain without clouds?

It would be nice if there was more than one type of rain too. From a light misty rain to bone shattering thunderstorms. And the rain varied during the storms, starting off lightly, get heavier, then slowly peter off as it lets up.

Can we see rainbows now and then too?

I live in seattle....i've seen rain many a time without clouds. The shadows however, do seem a bit odd.

Silifaira wrote:
    I live in seattle....i've seen rain many a time without clouds. The shadows however, do seem a bit odd.
    actually, you can't have rain without clouds
    what you wanted to say, and pardon me if I correct you, is that you can't see individual clouds because on cloudy days all sky is a huge cloud am i right?

pid73 wrote:
    Silifaira wrote:
    actually, you can't have rain without clouds
    what you wanted to say, and pardon me if I correct you, is that you can't see individual clouds because on cloudy days all sky is a huge cloud am i right?
    I have lived in the pacific northwest, and I currently live on a tropical island. I can not speak for what he is talking about, but down here it is not uncommon To have a small cloud patch where it is rainng, but it is a bright sunny day (the cloud that is dropping the rain is not obstructing the sun at all). We usually call that a sun shower. However that being said, The abruptness of it all feels clunky, and the lighting during rain is not very well done imho. Lots of other work to do, but when it gets to polish time this is definitely something that should be addressed

Kitsume wrote:
    It would be nice if there was more than one type of rain too. From a light misty rain to bone shattering thunderstorms. And the rain varied during the storms, starting off lightly, get heavier, then slowly peter off as it lets up.

Yes! Rainbows and Thunder.

Oakstead wrote:
    Kitsume wrote:
    Yes! Rainbows and Thunder.
    I understand Jooky is a graphics engine fetishist. Probably he already has many atmospheric effects (like snow and rain) but if we can make a list and detail more precisely some features we can maybe convince him to revamp it post-launch...

I have seen that the rain starts and stops abruptly. This is not very nice and requires some refinement. Now is not the time (there are more important things to do) but let's keep in mind this suggestion to have rainbows, thunder, maybe sandstorms in deserts (new areas/servers that might open up in the future), "just" strong wind (mostly leaves floating around and the noise)...

I have always thought that all this adds a lot to the atmosphere of a game.

EDIT: also, on very hot summer days "vibrant" colors and refraction (much like inferior mirages)...