Suggestion: BIT TORRENT initial download option

As I watch the patching/installing/downloading process, I can't help but realize how the patcher can't use my fat-ass internet connection's potential to download the game data.

My suggestion is that Xsyon should offer a bit-torrent download method of the initial installer & data.

Not only would the xsyon download servers use less bandwidth and cpu time, but downloads would be vastly faster. Of course, the normal download method should still still be offered.

Re:Suggestion: BIT TORRENT initial download option

enki wrote:
    As I watch the patching/installing/downloading process, I can't help but realize how the patcher can't use my fat-ass internet connection's potential to download the game data.

My suggestion is that Xsyon should offer a bit-torrent download method of the initial installer & data.

Not only would the xsyon download servers use less bandwidth and cpu time, but downloads would be vastly faster. Of course, the normal download method should still still be offered.
    Strange, when I downloaded the client the first time, it took less than 45 minutes. The second time it took a bit over an hour. My cable connection is not the greatest.

I agree that a torrent style method would perhaps be a good idea, but I don't know that it would be worth it unless the game takes off much faster than I expect it will.

Oh I don't mean to complain about the speed, just figured I'd suggest it... The download isn't going painstakingly slow, but it could be going a hell of a lot faster on my fiber connection.

I agree, though, that it may not be immediately necessary, but bit torrent is a great distribution strategy regardless. It's also EXTREMELY easy to set up and start using!

enki wrote:
    Oh I don't mean to complain about the speed, just figured I'd suggest it... The download isn't going painstakingly slow, but it could be going a hell of a lot faster on my fiber connection.

I agree, though, that it may not be immediately necessary, but bit torrent is a great distribution strategy regardless. It's also EXTREMELY easy to set up and start using!
    You are right and there are no security concern either.

I'd never download and install a "XYSON.torrent" found anywhere on the Internets, if not on the official site or an e-mail sent by Jooky.

But some less paranoid users might try and doanload a fake torrent, ending up with a nice keylogger to get their xsyon account data...

Since WoW the source of clients and/or patches is extremely important. Some players will go to great lenghts to have it their way...

True, there would be the chance of someone downloading a fake torrent, but the current system has the same flaw. I could repackage the files with a keylogger and upload a zip somewhere, and a user could technically download it. (I'd be willing to say the current system is actually weaker because users would be more inclined to download my .zip because they can't easily access the official installer)

Regarding bit torrent security, valid torrents are bound to have a higher seed count, so the official torrent would have wayy more seeders than a fake would. The official site could also offer an md5sum so that concerned users could verify the data, plus add in the fact that the patcher itself checks file integrity

Besides, if you're a user downloading from somewhere other than the official site, it's your own damn fault.

We need a torrent and we need it bad!

Maybe someone upload current version and place link here?

ok, hope you able to register there, is someone need torrent: http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3417998