Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re:What is stopping this....

EgoSumPondera wrote:
    I didn't mean in terms of gameplay. Darkfall was doomed to be a gankfest from the beginning but still had a ton of potential redeeming qualities. Notorious seems determined to prevent that.

What I was asking was in terms of execution. Can Notorious execute? I am not asking if Notorious will be another CCP. Asking them to match the most successful indie MMO of all time is a bit much.

Things seem on the positive side. Beta can go two completely dichotomous ways; slow and progressive improvements, or down the craphole(like DF and MO). This seems like the former which is a great sign. A passionate and RESPONSIVE developer is a must(see CCP). Notorious seems to be just that.

I don't the details of any NDA's that might be in effect, but can any beta testers comment on how ready you think the game will be by June 15th? They seem to be doing well in terms of stability which is by far the most important thing.
    It is hard to tell, to be honest with you because so much is turned off, but if they do release on June 15th, at the current pace I would say the game will be extremely rough around the edges, next to no polish, be cumbersome to play, but stable. I have an immense amount of respect for the devs for a number of reasons, one of which is their dedication to stability.

As far as quality of the game:

the crafting is done well, especially with the ability to experiment with different materials (haven't done a whole lot of this yet for the record). It is intriguing on a crafting level. The interface right now is horrible (very cumbersome) but they plan on fixing it up somewhat.

Crafting will turn out to be a clickfest grind to raise skills. I typically find a recipe that I can easily get the mats then make that one thing over and over again to raise skills. It is a boring grindfest. But the number of things you can make is interesting and inspirations (which are turned off right now) will definitely spice things up. If you don't mind a grind, the crafting is pretty good.

the combat is horrible and I see no reason to hope it will be engaging on any level without totally scrapping it and trying again. They will make some improvements for sure, but with the current direction I don't see many opportunities to add in any tactical choices. It pretty much is a spamfest right now. Mortal online looks like chess compared to this, and last time I played MO was a couple months ago but the combat then was far more entertaining than Xsyon right now. That's ok with me, though, combat is clearly not the focus of the game. With some tweaks it should be functional enough to gather mats in hunting. PVP will be just a yawnfest.

Terraforming is very interesting and lots can be done, but restrictions are turned off right now, so it is hard to tell what it will be like, but once the restrictions are turned on, it has potential to be an extremely cool feature.

A lot of things can and will change, so this could be completely off by the time release comes, but if that is the case I highly doubt the release will be June 15th. They also have a lot not turned on yet, which will be interesting to see. But this is my honest take from what I have played.

Primavera wrote:
    r0ss0 wrote:
    The only thing thats stopping it from becoming a DF. Is the people who keep comparing, Thats like comparing Eve online with Star trek online

Same setting's

Completely diffrent game play.

Getting a bit tedious hearing about Darkfall and Mortal online. Two games i never heard of until i joined Xsyon.
    You'd never heard of DF or MO, yet feel qualified to tell us there is no comparison between either of them and Xsyon, and that the game play is completely different. On what do you base this assertion?
    Well after hearing all this talk about DF at least , I decided to pay the $1 to play the trial, And it does have its good points , But the bad points get in the way, Doesn't feel immersive , And 80% of the people i came across . Were either kids or very lonely people.

Mortal online, I watched a few trailiers (you can actually see bugged toons in them :laugh: ) And heard a lot of negativity about it . That was enough for me

How the hell you can compare this game to those games is completely stupid, Appreciate the game for its own values, Comparing games leads to disappointment.

EgoSumPondera wrote:
    From becoming another Darkfall? I can't help but have high hopes for this very impressive and ballsy feature list as I have been seeking for a realistic(relatively) sandbox MMO for quite some time.

Any knowledgeable posters here(vets or admins) that could give me a rundown on the devs and if they have the ability to pull through on this game? So many MMO's die way before they come close to their potential (AoC, DnL, DF, etc.).

Can Xsyon avoid the usual fate? I just hope they don't rush the release.
    Age of conan is dead that is news to me.... I dunno what world you live in, the game is far from dead, and it's the 4th most played MMO to date...

I just hope these Devs take a hard line with cheaters, which the Devs of MO failed to do and why I ultimately left.

I can wait for these Devs to work through technical difficulties, they seem to have a vastly superior handle on things than the Devs over at Star Vault.

r0ss0 wrote:
    How the hell you can compare this game to those games is completely stupid, Appreciate the game for its own values, Comparing games leads to disappointment.
    I dont agree with this at all, but then my motive for comparing games is probably quite different to yours. As an engineer, one of the first things I do when taking on a new project is look at similar projects and the feedback on what worked and what didnt. Its as simple as that. MO & DF are the closest thing to pvp sandboxes on the market so are bound to become obvious reference points (Your analogy about STO & EVE was disingenuous imo as they the only thing they have in common is space, they are not games of a similar genre playwise)

I see many other posters trying to make similar points and being misunderstood - this has nothing to do with promoting pvp or wanting a DF clone, its about genuinely wanting the devs to hear what has worked for folk in other games in this genre, and more importantly - what doesnt work. What doesnt work is more important to be honest - most of us want to see originality and new ideas so the "what worked" part is less important than the "what really sucked". Theres nothing worse than seeing history repeat itself as its a)Annoying when its repeated mistakes & b)Boring when its just a copy (The many WoW clones are testimony to this). I dont really understand why you see making this comparison of technical merits as "completely stupid" or why it "leads to disappointment", these are very emotive statements and sound more like you feel you're heading into a marriage than about to try out a new game, maybe your own expectations are the issue here rather than the willingness of others to indulge in open discussions regarding what kills/makes a game?

One of the key mistakes that DF suffered from was being released too soon and thats one of the big failures that many people will continue to labour the point over. I have paid my money but if Xsyon isnt released this year I dont have a problem with it - I'd rather see a decent game than yet another "could have been" that gets shredded by the online press.

Primavera wrote:
    r0ss0 wrote:
    I dont agree with this at all, but then my motive for comparing games is probably quite different to yours. As an engineer, one of the first things I do when taking on a new project is look at similar projects and the feedback on what worked and what didnt. Its as simple as that. MO & DF are the closest thing to pvp sandboxes on the market so are bound to become obvious reference points (Your analogy about STO & EVE was disingenuous imo as they the only thing they have in common is space, they are not games of a similar genre playwise)

I see many other posters trying to make similar points and being misunderstood - this has nothing to do with promoting pvp or wanting a DF clone, its about genuinely wanting the devs to hear what has worked for folk in other games in this genre, and more importantly - what doesnt work. What doesnt work is more important to be honest - most of us want to see originality and new ideas so the "what worked" part is less important than the "what really sucked". Theres nothing worse than seeing history repeat itself as its a)Annoying when its repeated mistakes & b)Boring when its just a copy (The many WoW clones are testimony to this). I dont really understand why you see making this comparison of technical merits as "completely stupid" or why it "leads to disappointment", these are very emotive statements and sound more like you feel you're heading into a marriage than about to try out a new game, maybe your own expectations are the issue here rather than the willingness of others to indulge in open discussions regarding what kills/makes a game?

One of the key mistakes that DF suffered from was being released too soon and thats one of the big failures that many people will continue to labour the point over. I have paid my money but if Xsyon isnt released this year I dont have a problem with it - I'd rather see a decent game than yet another "could have been" that gets shredded by the online press.
    Xsyon is way more similar, playwise, to wurm than MO or DF. That would be a much better reference point. Or Roma Victor.

It plays much the same way as Roma Victor, but less boring crafting so far. (Hard to tell about construction since it isn't turned on yet). About the same combat. With Terraforming mixed in.

Yup it is a much better version of RV set in a different era

jessebfox wrote:
    Xsyon is way more similar, playwise, to wurm than MO or DF. That would be a much better reference point. Or Roma Victor.

It plays much the same way as Roma Victor, but less boring crafting so far. (Hard to tell about construction since it isn't turned on yet). About the same combat. With Terraforming mixed in.
    Thats as may be, like r0ss0 with DF/MO I hadnt heard of either of those games before I came here so it doesnt mean a lot to me in terms of gameplay. I dont mind which games people draw comparisons to though, its not the actual comparison that matters, its the lessons that you feel can be learnt from those games.

Am I correct in saying that a lot of the Xsyon team worked on Roma Victor? You would hope then that if the crafting were boring in RV they would have learned from it, as you have hinted. MMO dynamics & mechanics are in a state of evolution. They shouldnt always be created from scratch as the past is something to learn from and build on is my point. I am just struggling to see the logic of r0ss0's negativity towards the general idea that the failings & highpoints of other games are of real worth as items for discussion.

I felt the crafting in Roma Victor was boring. I felt it was too much of a grind. Others feel differently. Xsyon doesn't seem as boring but looks to be a big grind if you are trying to skill up. Anyway that isn't the point.

The point is that Xsyon has about as much in common with MO as it does with Everquest. In fact I would argue that Xsyon has more in common with pirates of the burning sea than MO. DF I can't speak for as I haven't played it yet, but I do plan on checking out the trial. It sounds intriguing but prolly too much of a grind for me. Can't say for sure till I play it.

It can learn from the mistakes of DF, yes. It can also learn from the mistakes of pretty much any other game. That doesn't mean a comparison should be made. Having played MO and Xsyon I can see his analogy of STO to Eve. It's not dead on but it gets the point across

jessebfox wrote:
    It can learn from the mistakes of DF, yes. It can also learn from the mistakes of pretty much any other game. That doesn't mean a comparison should be made. Having played MO and Xsyon I can see his analogy of STO to Eve. It's not dead on but it gets the point across[/quote]

Yes, and yes, comparisons are a means to accentuate a point of reference, as with anything.

No, I dont want a Wurm, RM, or Fallen Earth where the emphasis is on PvE, crafting and sim city building, while completely ignoring the player-centric ecosystem of player-driven conflict, and suspenseful, non-scripted, surprising player-influenced interaction.