Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What is stopping this....

From becoming another Darkfall? I can't help but have high hopes for this very impressive and ballsy feature list as I have been seeking for a realistic(relatively) sandbox MMO for quite some time.

Any knowledgeable posters here(vets or admins) that could give me a rundown on the devs and if they have the ability to pull through on this game? So many MMO's die way before they come close to their potential (AoC, DnL, DF, etc.).

Can Xsyon avoid the usual fate? I just hope they don't rush the release.

Re: What is stopping this....

If by "usual fate" you mean crash and burn... I don't believe it will crash and burn, but I think if you subscribe to PvP vs Carebears threads that one side will be let down big time.

PvP is a very much guarded secret here, we don't know much about it, more in terms of PKing.

In terms of my view of the game, the Devs are very open about the game and suggestions the players have. I think this openness is what will allow the game to flourish.

Xsyon Citizen

Re:What is stopping this....

I am hopeful the devs are learning from other games mistakes and taking their time getting stability down (Mortal Online) before moving on. They have a rare chance and are in a good position to see what not to do.

I am sure they are watching other sandbox games such as Wurm, MO and Darkfall and taking away the pros and cons. If I have any advice for them, not that they need it I would go off my two principles when I was a producer.

1. K.I.S.S. Method-Keep it simple stupid
    2. Good writers copy, great writers steal (must understand meaning)

The reason I believe they are on the right path is the features list. We all say that the list is everything we ever wanted in an MMO. It's all about building a better mouse trap. As an indie company they don't have investors such as Cryptics' Atari breathing down their neck wanting the game (STO)to be released before it's done, or SV with Mortal Online biting off more than they could possible chew. This is a good thing. Being small has its advantages, the fall to the ground is shorter so you can pick yourself back up and keep moving where as compared to a giant (not so much anymore) like Cryptic who has to watch their step because the slightest tumble can ruin everything.

They will avoid the usual fate of MMO's and over time grow their subscription base just as Eve has done. Before you can run you have to learn to crawl. They are taking very small baby steps and so far from what I have seen and heard, it is paying off.

Chile wrote:
    I am hopeful the devs are learning from other games mistakes and taking their time getting stability down (Mortal Online) before moving on. They have a rare chance and are in a good position to see what not to do.

I am sure they are watching other sandbox games such as Wurm, MO and Darkfall and taking away the pros and cons. If I have any advice for them, not that they need it I would go off my two principles when I was a producer.

1. K.I.S.S. Method-Keep it simple stupid
    2. Good writers copy, great writers steal (must understand meaning)

The reason I believe they are on the right path is the features list. We all say that the list is everything we ever wanted in an MMO. It's all about building a better mouse trap. As an indie company they don't have investors such as Cryptics' Atari breathing down their neck wanting the game (STO)to be released before it's done, or SV with Mortal Online biting off more than they could possible chew. This is a good thing. Being small has its advantages, the fall to the ground is shorter so you can pick yourself back up and keep moving where as compared to a giant (not so much anymore) like Cryptic who has to watch their step because the slightest tumble can ruin everything.

They will avoid the usual fate of MMO's and over time grow their subscription base just as Eve has done. Before you can run you have to learn to crawl. They are taking very small baby steps and so far from what I have seen and heard, it is paying off.
    I agree,i think as long as they keep there ears and eyes open to the community and keep up the good work they are doing all will be well.No doubts here.

The thought of Xsyon possibly becoming as successful of a niche game as EVE is very exciting. What they have done with that game is very impressive. I gave it a trial run but space MMO's just aren't my bag, but there is no denying what a massive success it is. I read almost the whole history of player-driven events in that game and it is CRAZY. The faction-warring and the rise and fall of corporations through brute force, diplomacy, and conspiracy is just wonderful. I can only hope that Xsyon reaches EVE's level.

HAHA Ego,
    I thought the same thing, but Horizons in place of Darkfall.
    In the end I placed my pre-order kind of like a craps shot...
    The plus...This is a small company, CCCP was dinky when it made EVE, and now Eve's the most played game on earth...(yes even beats WOW)
    I hope the same for this game, but we'll see..It's initial was worth the risk of 40+bucks but I think they got the idea...the key is if they can make that idea work...

The only thing thats stopping it from becoming a DF. Is the people who keep comparing, Thats like comparing Eve online with Star trek online

Same setting's

Completely diffrent game play.

Getting a bit tedious hearing about Darkfall and Mortal online. Two games i never heard of until i joined Xsyon.

r0ss0 wrote:
    The only thing thats stopping it from becoming a DF. Is the people who keep comparing, Thats like comparing Eve online with Star trek online

Same setting's

Completely diffrent game play.

Getting a bit tedious hearing about Darkfall and Mortal online. Two games i never heard of until i joined Xsyon.
    You'd never heard of DF or MO, yet feel qualified to tell us there is no comparison between either of them and Xsyon, and that the game play is completely different. On what do you base this assertion?

I can tell you this, this game is not going to be PVP centered. From what I have played, PVP is one of the lowest points in it. Not sure how you can compare it to Darkfall or Mortal Online, but this is not even close to that much PVP.

I didn't mean in terms of gameplay. Darkfall was doomed to be a gankfest from the beginning but still had a ton of potential redeeming qualities. Notorious seems determined to prevent that.

What I was asking was in terms of execution. Can Notorious execute? I am not asking if Notorious will be another CCP. Asking them to match the most successful indie MMO of all time is a bit much.

Things seem on the positive side. Beta can go two completely dichotomous ways; slow and progressive improvements, or down the craphole(like DF and MO). This seems like the former which is a great sign. A passionate and RESPONSIVE developer is a must(see CCP). Notorious seems to be just that.

I don't the details of any NDA's that might be in effect, but can any beta testers comment on how ready you think the game will be by June 15th? They seem to be doing well in terms of stability which is by far the most important thing.