Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass

Grass

Allow us to turn it completely off, please.

Re:Grass

lol ya i feel like i have a giant grass skirt on when i have it on its lowest settings :P

Yes, turning it off would be great, its annoying and looks awful during winter

would be nice if winter was harsh and depleted grass anyways so you would need to stack/store it in one of the other 3 friendlier seasons.

REVKhA wrote:
    would be nice if winter was harsh and depleted grass anyways so you would need to stack/store it in one of the other 3 friendlier seasons.
    Now that's a dynamic idea. Though I'm wondering if the coding bandwidth to do that is really feasible at this stage; dynamic seasonal effects.

Well they do already have dynamic seasonal effects in the form of different tree models and textures.

Cunk wrote:
    Well they do already have dynamic seasonal effects in the form of different tree models and textures.
    But i didnt mean just textures. Isn't it more than turning a snow animation on and off, which is what we have now?

Ciik wrote:
    Cunk wrote:
    But i didnt mean just textures. Isn't it more than turning a snow animation on and off, which is what we have now?
    Yeah, I suppose you're right.

But beyond the coding considerations involved in implementing something like seasonal resources there is the issue of game balance. Personally I like the idea of different resources being available at different times which could add a bit of urgency to resource gathering. However the devs would have to consider carefully how this would affect the gaming experience. Some players may resent it if the game is too harsh or demands that they spend some of their time stocking up for winter rather than running around killing people or working on their massive terraforming project.

But maybe I'm taking the example too far. Perhaps only certain, non-critical resources could be handled this way. At least at the start. Wurm does something like this with certain natural resources. Harvestable resources like olives, fruit, maple sap, and certain plants have short seasons that come around only once every few real life weeks. In practice it doesn't affect the game much because none of these things are all that desirable. Except maybe olives since they are used to make the oil needed for compasses.

I never worked out when the maples were ready in Wurm, I think I harvested just about everything else at the right time but NEVER got maple :unsure:

just want to point out being able to turn off grass etc could ruin certain aspects, like sneaking around.