Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

PvP and food for thought

The have been many debates on these forums with regards to PvP and safe zones. There is the Free for all, nowhere is safe PvP mentality on one end and I shouldn't have to particpate in PvP if I don't want to crowd on the other end. I ran across a great article posted on the Darkfall forums. Please give the time it deserves and read it. Then post your thoughts here.

bringing-eves-empire-space-to-darkfall

I believe this style of PvP is more in line with what the Devs want. I really like the idea of there being safe zones (but not completely safe) so that the crafter/social types don't get stomped out of the game. But, the penalty for being well protected is they don't get easy access to the more valuable resources that are out in the PvP hotspots. They can venture out into those riskier zones if they want to, or maybe they never do.

More risk = more reward.

Re:PvP and food for thought

You're missing the point. In Darkfall, there are no safe zones for clans that just got torn apart by better players. There are safe cities but no safe zones to farm mobs, craft, etc...

Games like Darkfall really don't have varying degress of risk that you as a player can choose to take on besides what you wear to fight in.

In general I agree. Small, fixed safe zones for new players and tribes that need to reorganize is a must and these zone cannot have access to anything valuable.

After that I favor tribal territories as safe zones as long as the tribe members have to work to keep that territory in existence. Becoming safe is a good motivator for game play. If a tribe is able to extend their territory against other tribes to cover valuable resources then they should be able to do so.

So I favor a flexible "empire space" instead of the fixed model as it exists in Eve.

Oakstead wrote:
    In general I agree. Small, fixed safe zones for new players and tribes that need to reorganize is a must and these zone cannot have access to anything valuable.

After that I favor tribal territories as safe zones as long as the tribe members have to work to keep that territory in existence. Becoming safe is a good motivator for game play. If a tribe is able to extend their territory against other tribes to cover valuable resources then they should be able to do so.

So I favor a flexible "empire space" instead of the fixed model as it exists in Eve.
    /signed

I pretty much feel same way.

zephar123 wrote:
    Oakstead wrote:

/signed

I pretty much feel same way.
    Agreed

Visitor

Make sure a game exists before asking for extras like PvP

I'm logging on again today. Hopefully I'll see more than the five people I saw yesterday.

i fell like there sud be a small to medium non terraform/ no pvp area around spesefic starter location

Agreed.
    I enjoy my PvP, but sometimes I just want relax while doing something other than killing. If I wanted to fight everytime I logged on, i'd just play call of duty :woohoo:

Blue Pig wrote:
    Make sure a game exists before asking for extras like PvP

I'm logging on again today. Hopefully I'll see more than the five people I saw yesterday.
    Five people? Whoa, that's a lot =D
    Max people I have seen so far together are 2 (+ me makes 3 on-screen).

We should try a kind of stress-test. Gather all in one place to see how the graphics engine deals with large numbers of players in the same spot.

nvm