Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re:Log/Terra Cabin (Work In Progress)

nice looks good on the water

yea you should see what Foocha did with just alil help hauling logs, hes the first pioneering new world engineer :P

Xx1327 wrote:
    nice looks good on the water

yea you should see what Foocha did with just alil help hauling logs, hes the first pioneering new world engineer :P
    Yep, only thing really preventing me from using ALL logs was time constraints.

I was doing this generally solo, with the help from Aisugo for the stairs/bottom floor.

Finding the correct type of tree, then hauling them 1 by 1 solo, was a tedious process.

So I jumped ahead and used terra for the walls.

EDIT: Just realized, though you can barely see it - I have the awesome baseball bat I scavenged on my back! haha.

Lol, its a good thing you just used terraforming for the walls. I did a "quick" little project myself, that used all wood. And let me tell you, making walls will test your sanity. I put 24 straight hours into my little log cabin, and it only had 3 walls. All but the last 5 hours were all spent packing logs in, and trying to get all the stacking just right. Once you start trying to make a second "layer" in your log walls, you will start to see some of the oddities with log stacking.

Here is the post of my little "floating log cabin". It is kind of crude and ugly, but my patient ran out, and I just left the gaps in.

http://www.xsyon.com/forums/6-genera...ting-log-cabin

The far wall (at the begining of the video) shows what happens when you try to make a second stack of logs, of the same type, over another. It kind of "bumps" it over or up. The only way I got around that, was mis-aligning the second stack of logs a bit up. You can see what I mean by this with the near wall at the begining of the video.

Lol, WTH... double posted... somehow.

Nice work.

Heh - didn't expect to see this bumped up.

Yeah, the log walls are much more hassle than they are worth. I attempted to make a structure with log walls after building the cabin in the OP .. it didn't go so well.

The terra/log hybrid seems (IMO) to be the best way of making structures with the current limitations of terraforming.

I've tried to stack logs on a very steep slope, so to obtain vertically aligned logs as a wall. I tried and tried to stack the logs but failed miserably
    maybe someone with better log-stacking skills could try it.
    Just terraform a very steep slope, put the logs on the side, then terraform the slope away and the logs should stand vertically with the slope's inclination.

Naw... doesn't really work, or look right. When I was trying to lay some logs across a platform the size of one log, by one log, and I started to add logs that went over the edge, I ended up with one log like 5 feet down the slope. And yes, the slope was about as steep as you can make em, so what you experienced was likely just the limits/quarks of stacking over cliffs/edges.