Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Log/Terra Cabin (Work In Progress)

Well, here's something my clan and I have been working on, it's not perfect, but it's showing us a lot what is possible with terraforming even in the most basic stages.

The roof, floor and stairs are made out of logs, walls and walkway are terra (earth, dirt).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBfafREKIIU

No music, because it's rather short, but yep, hope you enjoy/gives some ideas.

Comments, criticism, old food, all is welcome!

We intend to continue on and make this a larger complex, but this is just the first stage and wanted video of it incase terrain gets wiped, lol.

EDIT: Just realized, though you can barely see it - I have the awesome baseball bat I scavenged on my back! haha.

Re: Log/Terra Cabin (Work In Progress)

Nice work!

Re:Log/Terra Cabin (Work In Progress)

Wow, that's pretty cool. Very creative. Keep up the good work.

Hopefully changing tides aren't implemented or your house will be flooded! Interesting work with the layered log flooring.

I haven't tested in a long time but are you able to stand on those logs on the roof?

yeah, that's pretty cool. great work and good ideas.
    one point though to say - not against - but as an argument for me why I actually not try such stuff: I'm more in waiting until one can build with logs as one could do more realistic, or, I let it be lol. Positioning the logs is actually a big problem, and for walls it's nearly impossible. But walls out of wood and perhaps ladders or stairs out of stone (with room underneath lol) are essential if building, or 'building' is absolutely not what it should be. I've builded many houses in SecondLife (and run an OpenSim-Server too) and I do NOT expect this here to be such comfortable than building there, but a bit more realistic than actually possible I do.
    But again: This is no critic, great work, and I tried a bit with building walls too

very nice, you should add a basement

Cradlejoe wrote:
    I haven't tested in a long time but are you able to stand on those logs on the roof?
    Sure, why? was there a time when you could not stand on logs?
    Log-terraforming has become an art of its own...

frogeye wrote:
    yeah, that's pretty cool. great work and good ideas.
    one point though to say - not against - but as an argument for me why I actually not try such stuff: I'm more in waiting until one can build with logs as one could do more realistic, or, I let it be lol. Positioning the logs is actually a big problem, and for walls it's nearly impossible. But walls out of wood and perhaps ladders or stairs out of stone (with room underneath lol) are essential if building, or 'building' is absolutely not what it should be. I've builded many houses in SecondLife (and run an OpenSim-Server too) and I do NOT expect this here to be such comfortable than building there, but a bit more realistic than actually possible I do.
    But again: This is no critic, great work, and I tried a bit with building walls too
    This is just bored people having fun with quirks in the current version of the game. I'm sure this will get fixed prior to release.

Thanks for the comments -

Yeah we were having a discussion on the test server (I think Cunk and myself?) about whether they will leave items "floating" due to being terraformed out from underneath.

UO had a similiar "feature" where you could stack items, remove the items below, and leave said item floating - it was nice for cosmetic effects in housing, but that didn't have full 3D to get the feeling of how weird it really looked.

While it does look a bit silly, it's making building possible that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

So, maybe at the very least it will help Jooky put together some good ideas for building in-game other than the current quirks.

Again, thanks for the comments.

To respond:

Yeah, you can walk on the logs, I actually have a ramp (half done) leading to the roof which I was going to turn into a "sundeck" of sorts.

Yes, I'd love to add a basement - however the basement is kind of .. water >>

And finally, yeah, good thing there's no currents in, I'm at the top of a waterfall, below 2 other ones - it wouldn't be the smoothest place for a house. haha.