Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re:Excessive video card temperatures

Cunk wrote:
    In trying to find out if my GPU temps are normal I've found quite a large swing of temperature ranges out there. Your 38 at idle seems incredibly low to me (mine is in the mid 70's usually). But people have reported all sorts of "normal" temps so it's hard to say what it should be. I guess it all depends on the construction and the GPU model.

Basically all we can do is compare how hot our GPUs gets with this game vs. other games.
    If your GPU is at 55C+ while idle, you need to start figuring out if you have a cooling issue. Some of the power-eater cards will run higher while idle, but I would not be happy with an idle over 45C with any card.

If you're at 70's idle, I'd be very curious to see what it records under a stress test. I wouldn't be surprised to see it come close to the meltdown mark.

I just ran OCCT on it (for 5 minutes) and it leveled off around 104 degrees:

My card is way out of warranty though so I can't expect much from EVGA. I don't have money to throw around but I think I can get a card newer by a generation or two for $50 - $75 to I might consider doing that.

What a great tool, BTW. I never heard of it until I just searched for a way to stress test the GPU. It spits out a bunch of other interesting graphs too.

edit: oh, i guess the forums' attach image function doesn't work. Or I'm using it wrong.

just turn off shadows in the game, that is what really drives the video cards nutz

Cunk wrote:
    I just ran OCCT on it (for 5 minutes) and it leveled off around 104 degrees:

My card is way out of warranty though so I can't expect much from EVGA. I don't have money to throw around but I think I can get a card newer by a generation or two for $50 - $75 to I might consider doing that.

What a great tool, BTW. I never heard of it until I just searched for a way to stress test the GPU. It spits out a bunch of other interesting graphs too.

edit: oh, i guess the forums' attach image function doesn't work. Or I'm using it wrong.
    The 8800GT max is 105C, so I would guess the GTS is the same or close. Make sure you don't fry your card stress testing it. :P

I was reading some forums and saw a number of people running the 8800GTS (not sure which versions) in the 60's and 70's under full load.

This is a nice budget card:

http://www.amazon.com/Palit-GeForce-.../dp/B0030YX528

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/palit_gt240/

It's OC'd by Palit, only needs 300w, and is comparable (slightly behind) the 9600/9800 GTs. If power supply is a concern and you'd rather have one of the latter two, then you can try to find the "low power" versions.