Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Need More Information: Lag

For those of you reporting in game lag I have a few questions:

1) Are you primarily experiencing server lag such as delays in chat, finishing actions, moving items around your inventory, seeing other players skip around and so on?

2) Or are you experiencing slow frame rates and a choppy mouse cursor?

3) If you are experiencing actual lag, does this seem to occur in spikes (such as every 5 minutes)? Or does it occur constantly?

We're working on several different major issues right now and our next update will feature some major server revisions to deal with lag. We are also working on some rendering optimizations that will improve framerate, but those will take a while longer to implement.

Re:Need More Information: Lag

the lag I experiance -I will be either getting grass or terraforming I left click to start and nothing will happen so i click again and nothing so i start walking around and maybe 2minutes later he starts terraforming or getting grass. then he finishes and it will take another wait untill the actual grass shows up on my back or the ground raises or falls and this will go on for a long time until I log out from frustration. then maybe comeback an hour later and it will be ok for awhile then start the lag again

while i am walking around waiting for the grass picking to start I cant do anything just walk around forgot to mention that

I experience server lag, like clicking on "level terrain" and nothing happens for like 15-20 seconds then my character starts to move. Same with chat lag, if I type something and hit enter it sometimes takes 20 seconds to appear in the global chat box. Same effect when dropping something, it doesn't appear on the ground for a while.

The lag is not constant, it happens time by time and there are periods when everything runs smoothly.

The frame rate and cursor movement don't lag for me (its always kind of slow but its my computer not the game).

Xsyon wrote:
    For those of you reporting in game lag I have a few questions:

1) Are you primarily experiencing server lag such as delays in chat, finishing actions, moving items around your inventory, seeing other players skip around and so on?

2) Or are you experiencing slow frame rates and a choppy mouse cursor?

3) If you are experiencing actual lag, does this seem to occur in spikes (such as every 5 minutes)? Or does it occur constantly?
    The majority of lag I experience is seen with performing actions and moving inventory. Scavenging and terraforming I would see it a lot. I would go to scavenge and nothing happens, so of course I press it several times and still nothing. However I can still move around, look around etc. Then a couple minutes later, since I continued on, the toon just stops and performs the plethora of scavenges I attempted one on top of another (the bar never completes just continually restarts). Terraforming is similar but nothing happens then poof the grounds changes from the selections I requested. I also see this with moving around inventory. I drag and drop the item. Nothing happens. So I try opening other packs. Nothing happens. Then all of a sudden the server plays catch up and all these actions occur very quickly one after another. During this time I had no lag moving the character around or the cursor.

This lag seems to be common and occurs frequent regardless of environment. To the point where I just taught myself to be patient and wait for the action to occur. It seems to be more spike like. I can run around fine, then boom, take a lag hit, then continue on normally when it is over.

Rain is a death machine. lol. I get some lag with rain independently of the lag described above and on rare occasions both seemed to have occurred that do impact chat and camera movement as well. I run Vista and display the little gadget that shows CPU and Memory usage and during this time both are maxed. Could be my machine as well during these rare occasions contributing to the impact of lag of death.

I get the same lag as brought up in the above posts. The only addition I can add is if my character does not catch up with the lag I crash to the login screen.

ditto as above.

I have tried to help my aging system handle things by turning off as many extra options as possible, and while still slow, the mouse speed has become somewhat acceptable.

However with the lag, it is as many people have stated. Once I start to see actions getting delayed by more then a few seconds, I try to stand as still as possible. I have noted that the more you try to do while lagging, the more likely you are of getting disconnected, or even client crashed out. So "queuing" up more then 1-2 actions during lag spikes is almost a sure way of getting dumped, and crossing zone lines is almost a garuntee of getting disconnected/client crash. In most cases with crossing zone lines, it ends up being client crash, rather then just a simple timeout/disconnection.

same as the above posters,

I would add, that on the test server when I really notice lag was when someone was raising the terrain and a bug happen causing him to raise a piece like 1000 ft. Right after that it was really bad in that area it never corrected itself untill the server was reset. Which makes me wonder if some lag is caused with some issues with terraforming.

I have been experiencing both kinds of lag. I have an extremely laggy mouse, up to the point in some instances it will take several seconds for it to catch up. I have also had server lag and frame rate lag, but in the last several days I havent notices frame rates being as bad. I will log into the server today and update this post if necessary.

Happens all at the same time. My guildmates and I will be on Teamspeak and we all say 'lag' around the same second or two when we notice it either from typing in chat box or trying to perform actions. You can still run and such but that seems to be governed by your client as I will be told im one place but on my screen ive run 100 yards away and eventually the character will zoom away from my guildmate and arrive where my screen shows as it catches up.

Once the massive teraforming projects were wiped last night there was almost no lag. The lag hits us all at the same time and my guess is that it is the system saving all the changes people make in the terrain, exacerbated by the huge teraforming projects some are attempting right now.

sicarius wrote:
    I have been experiencing both kinds of lag. I have an extremely laggy mouse, up to the point in some instances it will take several seconds for it to catch up. I have also had server lag and frame rate lag, but in the last several days I havent notices frame rates being as bad. I will log into the server today and update this post if necessary.
    Laggy mouse is probably from your gpu being overtaxed.Try lowering the graphical settings and see if it stops.