Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re:Item Descriptions, Stats , Bonuses on mouseover.

Relandi wrote:
    Thus, if there are stats, they WILL be figured out.
    Well, like I said there are items/weapons in beta already, how much damage does a Patamon Saw Axe do?

Currently it is impossible to calculate anything unless: someone wants to measure their health bar down to the pixel and then keep measuring it with every combination of weapon and every combination of armor and again every weapon crafted from the several types of materials that can be used to make such item and additionally test in every possible environment, with every possible character stat (i'm probably missing some other factors) then we might and I do mean might have a small possibility of figuring it out.

most of the min/maxers solely rely on item stats, character stats, and logs that display damage done, received, and mitigated to make these calculations. How would it be done in this beta and why hasn't anyone done it yet?

prokop15 wrote:
    What? There is differences in items whether they are shown as values or not. You think no ones going to figure out that the axe that does twice as much damage is better?
    If stats are provided then yes. If they are not then see my previous response.

prokop15 wrote:
    Since when did intelligent gameplay become such an offense to you chumps?
    Calculating a game formula when variables are handed to people is not rocket science, it is basic algebra. So if junior high math is what you consider intelligent, then I see where you are coming from. I take no offense in it at all, I just believe it's more challenging by not spoon feeding the kids the numbers. Games that are challenging are more fun for me.

Totally. Except you COUDLNT FUCKING DO THAT in such a system, as there's nothing to measure these things by.
    Sure there is, it's all in the manner of observation. You attack an animal with an axe. You get a new axe and you realize you kill a similar animal but faster. One can conclude the 2nd weapon does more damage. Over time, the time to kill the same animal increases at a more rapid rate thus requiring more repairs, thus less durable. And while carrying this weapon it take a few seconds longer to make the same trip from point A to B as it did with the first weapon, thus heavier. There are always ways to measure things, especially if they are based on formulas and variables. I get what you are saying, some people just want to be told these things to make the game easier for them.

prokop15 wrote:
    Unless of course you are hitting mobs hundreds of time and measuring their health bars, counting ever swing you land, and trying to measure your encumbrance bar. But then you'd just be reverse engineering the system now, wouldn't you.
    In a way it is but it was derived from personal experience. From personal experience you know the Patamon Saw Axe is better than the Wooden Pelican Axe but you do not know how those two axes would compare to a Raptor Claw Axe if you never used one before or if it is better than your buddy's Scythe Blade. Where as any noob would know instantly that a sword with 7 DPS is better than a sword with 5 DPS without using either.

prokop15 wrote:
    In conclusion...
    You guys are being way too dumb right now.
    In conclusion...
    Insulting or flamebait shows a lack of intelligence, maturity, or both. Doesn't make for a good community so it is really not needed.

Honestly I think that mouse over stats would ruin a part of this game. You need to mix and match combinations to find out the one that works best for your play style, and what materials would work best for what you are using. Assuming this is implemented.

However, if we had a skill where we could get a rough estimate of a number of what damage we are doing, then that would be cool.

For example, you hit a bear, normally there would be no number indicating what you hit it for. But, now in your chat log it will display around what you hit it for and how much endurance it took. The accuracy of the report would be reliant on the level of your skill.

Just ideas.

My theory on this:
    - try hitting a mob with A, then with B;
    - if you notice a difference, use the better item;
    - if you don't notice a difference, use either.

What's the point in knowing that A is 0.001% faster than B? You can't tell the difference anyways, so... who cares? On the other hand, if you notice a difference you already know which is better, so you don't need to know "how much" (4% or 10%). You already solved the problem.

Obviously, in trading this is completely different. Before buying an item you should be able to compare prices, so stats are important to not get scammed.

prokop15 wrote:
    The reason why stats should be in video games is because it simulates the ability of players to make intuitive observations and measurements on the properties and purpose of an item or material.
    what's intuitive about numbers? you are contradicting yourself. intuition is the opposite of calculation.

I think the solution would be to have each item useful in certain situations, but there would be different qualities of each item of the same type. If you had 3 different types of axes, each would be better at specific tasks, and different axes of the same type would do more or less damage or cut trees faster or slower dependent on their individual quality. Quality would be dependent on the materials used to craft it and the skill of the crafter. This would create a demand for all different types of tools and resources to make those tools. Then not everyone will be looking for the uber tool, because it will only be uber in one instance and not another. People will find the best tool they need for the task at hand. I could use a sledge hammer or a claw hammer to drive a nail, I will choose the claw hammer, but when breaking a rock, I will use the sledge. Both useful in both jobs, but clearly one or the other is a better choice for different jobs. The research skill sounds good, but it should give increasingly more verbose and descriptive details about an item you are using or crafting the more you handle or craft it, just as an expert will know more about his tools than a neophyte. With details about an item, you could then use that information to choose the right tool for different tasks. That will give us the same type of visceral cues we use in real life to make decisions instead of just a number. If people have a fear that tools will be benchmarked to find which is best in a given situation, there should be enough disparity between them to make the choice blazingly obvious. Similar tools should be so close to the same to make it just a visual choice.