Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re:Terraforming restrictions

What happens when you recruit a terraformer to the tribe, and he turns out to be a trolling alt, paving roads over all the grass and scrap piles in your territory, effectively deleting the resources in a 500m radius.
    My understanding is that terraforming will be limited to designated people by the tribe leader.... once he sees a would be 'earh scorcher' he removes his rights and has him executed

Bossman wrote:
    What happens when you recruit a terraformer to the tribe, and he turns out to be a trolling alt, paving roads over all the grass and scrap piles in your territory, effectively deleting the resources in a 500m radius.
    My understanding is that terraforming will be limited to designated people by the tribe leader.... once he sees a would be 'earh scorcher' he removes his rights and has him executed
    This has only be a request by the players, but no actual word from jooky, unless i missed something

GDWhite wrote:

Sounds like a cool option for enemy tribes; Scorched Earth tactics (thanks CoH :]).
    We will have only 1 character per account, so if someone wants to have an alt he has to pay another subscription...so I hope we won't meet with trolling alts, or at least very few of them.

Bam, problem semi-solved.

I still want to go pillage another tribe's resources.

FIRESTARTING YESSSSSSSS

GDWhite wrote:

Sounds like a cool option for enemy tribes; Scorched Earth tactics (thanks CoH :]).
    There will be several protections in game with tribe permission controls on terraforming.

There is also the fact once the game goes live, you will have only one character per account. The three character thing is only for the beta testing phase.

:silly: Peer Gynt, we need you here! :silly:

Terraforming restrictions

Hi there after spending some time in game and getting to know the features connected with terraforming i got some conclusions:

If you make the terraforming a hard skill to train and a make the terraforming action last long enough there will be no need to limit terraforming to tribe area only , and you will get a lot more freedom the sandbox game needs to spread its wings .

I have played Wurm for like 2 years now , most of the time on non-pvp server , but i have playd on Wild , the pvp server too , and the game has no griefing and destroying the world at all. Why you ask ? because terraforming on low skill is hard as hell and takes long time to do and to train it .So nobody even care to grief the world , destroy some pavements , roads and stuff.I even saw some people on this forums being afraid that players will dig out whole dirt and make a waterworld from it.Such a thing is not going to happend if :

-You gain skill pretty slow in terraforming , and you gain it even slower when you advance in it

-the amount of digged dirt and the time you need to dig it out depends on your tools and your skill( highter skill less time for one dig action and more ground digged out , better equipment = faster you dig but less likley you will get a new skill gain )

- changing the way ground is terraformed: Its impossible to make a 6 meters wall of dirt with a very hight slope using only dirt in real life right?the dirt will always drop down from the top of the wall destroying ita bit and making it more flat , if you want to make a wall of dirt very tall you will need to mix it with rock or other materials and than pave the slopes to strenghten it so the composition wont drop after some time from corrosion

The next thing about terraforming is that the texture of the tile that is on hight slope is very strained , and it looks unnatural , especially with grass and dirt , the size of the texture on that tile should be the same as on a normal tile but repeated as much as is needed to fill the gap made by such a large slope

Brief summary of the main concept:
    People wont grief the terrian , because they re too lazy to do it if it requires a lot of work and see it meaningless - thats how things are in wurm - the map isnt the biggest one but everybody terraforms only the things that re needed by them , like a place for a village , some roads , some farms and thats practiaclly it

so :Theres is no need to restrain terraforming to tribes only
    but : dont allow people from other tribes or people with no tribe to terraform on tribe territory

benefits : a true -type sandbox game will emerge , where players have complete freedom over the world ( and again blocking waterfall terraforming must be done properly or making waterfalls fixed )even when they re not in a tribe or want to play solo

thats all for all thanks for reading my thoughts

Re: Terraforming restrictions

good points, i agree that things should take a lot more time when prelude starts. Progressing from year zero should not be easy. I also agree that the whole griefing thing will not be as bad as people think.

This is all tweaking/polishing really, the core terraforming feature is complete and polished right now, as well as terrain rendering. I will use terraforming for it's logistical uses mostly, road systems, supply ditches, artwork, decoration, etc.

If you make the terraforming a hard skill to train
    The problem with this is that Jooky does not want a game where you have to grind for days on end to get even 1 skill point. However, I do understand what you mean. However, There might not be a happy medium either that would limit abilities to the point where total defacing of the world would not be possible.

As you said with Wurm, it takes a long time to do it. However, Wurm is not your standard MMO. Wurm is mainly about building and developing the world and people understand that skills take forever to increase. In Xsyon This is not the case, people don't want to have to grind to go fight bears etc.

EDIT: I agree that currently skills raise very quickly, this might be for testing/pre-release fun purposes and will be reduced later (just a guess)

On that note, my short experience with wurm has let me run into some griefing on the free server. I have had people tear up pavement and start putting dirt down everywhere, and start tearing up slopes meant for roads. I have even had some team cut down all the trees and sand over the grass.