Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re:Computer running very hot!

I see your card is pretty high on the hierarchy list of video cards, so it should work ok. Tom's Hardware GPU List

But even with my ATI HD 5850, my GPU monitor shows it working at 99% on full settings in Xsyon.

Have you tried turning off your overclocking on the GPU card and monitoring the results? Overclocking by it's nature taxes the card, causing it to run hotter when stressed. If you haven't compensated for that stress with extra cooling provisions, then it will run hotter.

Running a circuit hotter than normal also can cause premature aging, which is one reason I don't overclock with out using serious cooling provisions.

Relandi wrote:
    My 8800GT runs at 80-90 under 100% fan on Xsyon - this is not right, no matter how you spin it.
    And mine runs 80-90 under 50% fan speed. It is a problem with your card or your cooling.

Since this topic seems to be a pretty 'hot' topic, lol (Pun intended) I started researching around similar issues. Many posts I found are pointing to the hardware of the user, I have yet to find a single post of any other game where the software was blamed and the developers acknowledged and resolved the issue.

What do GPU's do? It renders. So the only thing the software can do to reduce amount of rendering the video card performs is to reduce the amount of objects that need ot be rendered. Thus video options are implemented to reduce the amount rendering required based on user preferences and capabilities. If setting all the video options to very low is still not enough, then all models and other graphical elements would have to be reduced which basically decreases their level of detail. Such as taking an object with 150k polygons down to say 25k polygons (just throwing out numbers). That's why many players can play WoW, because it is not as graphic heavy and their models are very simple compared to newer highly detailed games.

If you have a heating problem then you need a cooling fix. Plain and simple. I don't think Xsyon should dumb down graphics, because I like the graphics the way they are and Ive put well over 4 hours of gaming in one session without a problem.

cbowsin wrote:
    If you have a heating problem then you need a cooling fix. Plain and simple. I don't think Xsyon should dumb down graphics, because I like the graphics the way they are and Ive put well over 4 hours of gaming in one session without a problem.
    You're ignoring the glaring fact I can run other games (with MUCH higher graphical capabilities) without touching the same GPU heat or fan usage.

I have 0 heating or cooling problems, slugger, but you can keep using that as your refrain if it helps you feel better.

Hell I'm running Global Agenda on max settings while streaming a movie to my PS3 right now - and my GPU is sitting at a nice 62 under 48% fan usage.

But yeah.. I must have a cooling problem.. ha.

Kitsume wrote:
    I see your card is pretty high on the hierarchy list of video cards, so it should work ok. Tom's Hardware GPU List

But even with my ATI HD 5850, my GPU monitor shows it working at 99% on full settings in Xsyon.

Have you tried turning off your overclocking on the GPU card and monitoring the results? Overclocking by it's nature taxes the card, causing it to run hotter when stressed. If you haven't compensated for that stress with extra cooling provisions, then it will run hotter.
    Yeah - I've set my card to what would be "factory" of a normal 8800GT and still saw pretty much the exact same temp and fan usage - Dropping maybe 1-2, and that could have been caused by me having the side off for that.

I've got ample cooling on my PC (infact, probably overkill by anyones standards, found some good deals on newegg >>) as I've stated above, my card rarely heats up this much with any game, let alone a barebones game like Xsyon.

Seeing you getting 99% usage out of an ATI HD5850 is rather off-putting, to say the least.

what is your graphics controler chip set?

My mom is running on a nividia 6800 gt all settings up and is getting around 80 celsius which seems nominal. You guys technically should be doing better.

Reason I ask, for example the nforce 3 chip set has issues with certain shadows unless your using the more uptodate one. Alot of people seem to update the graphic card drivers, but forget controller chipset drivers.

I had to roll back my Video card drivers, due to a compatibility problem with the latest update and Xsyon screen resolutions.

I am seeing 50-70 FPS, if I turn off tree shadows, I usually get lower utilization and better FPS, around 80-100. But I do see a difference depending on the number of trees visible, hopefully this will be optimized in the future.

All settings turned to minimum, I'm 120+ FPS and 35% utilization on the GPU.

Kitsume wrote:
    I had to roll back my Video card drivers, due to a compatibility problem with the latest update and Xsyon screen resolutions.

I am seeing 50-70 FPS, if I turn off tree shadows, I usually get lower utilization and better FPS, around 80-100. But I do see a difference depending on the number of trees visible, hopefully this will be optimized in the future.

All settings turned to minimum, I'm 120+ FPS and 35% utilization on the GPU.
    which video card are you running. Just asking more information the better for everyone =).

ATI Raidon HD 5750, made/sold by XFX

I run 2 monitors, Main through HDMI to a Toshiba Regza 32" LCD TV/Monitor. The other is through DVI to a 19" LCD. Of course the 32" is my gaming monitor, I'm currently running at 1600 x 900 for UI item screen size. Not optimum, but it works for me. 1970 x 1080, the text is too small for my tired eyes to read. 1360 x 768 is ok, but the UI windows fill up the screen too much.

Relandi wrote:
    You're ignoring the glaring fact I can run other games (with MUCH higher graphical capabilities) without touching the same GPU heat or fan usage.

I have 0 heating or cooling problems, slugger, but you can keep using that as your refrain if it helps you feel better.

Hell I'm running Global Agenda on max settings while streaming a movie to my PS3 right now - and my GPU is sitting at a nice 62 under 48% fan usage.

But yeah.. I must have a cooling problem.. ha.
    So I opened my box last night and discovered that; one, my side case fan is not working and two, I haven't cleaned my PC in the two years since I built it. Yet I run the same temperatures as you do and have no problem playing all day long. Clearly a software issue, lol.

I never played Crysis, so I looked it up on 'Can U Run It' and as far as system req'ts goes, that game is a joke. But the biggest straw is you are comparing this game to Global Agenda? Seriously? That game is no where near the graphic quality of Xsyon, I know I played the trial. Heck, if that is the case we might as well compare Xsyon to Minesweeper.

But seriously, I know you guys are all ancy to blame software for your PC Hardware malfunctions, so please enlighten us programmers how we can make your GPUs run cooler (without affecting game models, of course).

You people telling others that it's simply a cooling issue are insane. Some of you are even reporting very high temps, but you're saying they "seem fine".

There has only been one person in the other thread and this one with an acceptable temp, and that's me (74C-75C with tree detail at 320m).

To the people running in the 80s and 90's, that is not normal, especially considering that Xsyon's graphics aren't that great.

A 10 minute Furmark test tops my GPU (GT 240 overclocked) at 79C degrees. That's a full load test for people not familiar with stress tests. It basically bashes your card as much as it can with fur rendering.

With tree detail set at max distance (960m?), Xsyon hits 79C...

That is a coding problem.

Relandi wrote:
    I have to just laugh at the people who keep saying "it's your fan" or "it's the weather"

Listen - I've used a PC to game for well over a decade now, I know how to maintain a computer, and I'm more than able to keep a PC at well below standard "cool" temps.

Now - that being said, and I've repeated this SEVERAL times now. I can play Crysis on damn high settings, and not even remotely hit the same GPU temperature as I do while on Xsyon, let alone under 100% fan use..

Someone claims Xsyon hasn't revealed the "required system specs" yet here they are, sitting in the FAQ:

8.) What are the system requirements?
    Windows (XP, Vista, Windows 7)
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz (or similar)
    RAM: 2GB
    Video: 512 MB Video supporting Pixel Shader 2.0
    Hard Drive: 10 GB
    Of course we recommend the best system possible!
    So - being that I have WELL over the required system specs (I'm running dual core 2.5ghz + 8800 GT OC'd) and I can play any other game out without touching even remotely the same GPU usage and temps, I'm left pointing the finger at Xsyon.
    And no, the OC on my card is not the problem, my card runs at an average 60-70 while under heavy loads on other games, with maybe 50% fan..
    My 8800GT runs at 80-90 under 100% fan on Xsyon - this is not right, no matter how you spin it.
    Yes I have had problems with other games like original Mass Effect that took my 7950gt's heat up to 130c. Other graphics intensive games ran around 70-80. I guess I should have gone on EA forums, called everyone an idiot who was trying to help and explained my resume of 20 years computing meant I could dismiss all their suggestions as feeble attempts.

Instead I decided to use Google and research my problem. After reading people complaining about similar situation I resolved to fix it with a quality graphics card fan with good heat sinks. It worked and im still using the same outdated graphics card. People are not taking the time to answer questions for free because you deserve it, just keep that in mind when answering please next time when throwing out your derisive 'lols'.