Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re:Computer running very hot!

One, thing interesting to note, I am judging this off of 4 people I know who have the game and the other people who have posted their video cards.

Ati seems to not get as hot as nvidia with this game. As only computer had any issues was my moms nvidia 6800GT which solution was getting rid of the very old graphics controller drivers she was running. I am currios if anyone has ATI cards that are over heating. Reason yes is to judge software relation as well ATI and nvidia really do read things differently alot of times.

We do have a new graphics expert on the team (started a month and half ago), who is working on these issues starting with improving terrain rendering, then moving onto shadows and speed tree, which I don't think was implemented correctly. (The programmer who originally worked on these things is no longer working on Xsyon).

So far the revised terrain renderer alone has improved framerate by 30-50% in our recent tests, but it won't be finished for another week or two.

So for now, put some ice on your graphics card and in a few weeks we should start seeing the improvements.

Thanks for the update. B)

Sounds good, Xsyon.

cbowskin -

Are you "enlightened", yet?

JCatano wrote:
    cbowsin - Are you "enlightened", yet?
    With what? You think all these machines are going to run artic cooler with these improvements? Some folks might be expecting a 20C drop. Perhaps their improvements might only generate a 2C decrease, we won't know until they do it. Same thing with memory leakage. Poorly written code could have massive memory leaks, but even with minimal memory leaks an application can still be a memory hog.

A few posts up I mentioned GPU heat comes from rendering and since Jooky was referring to optimizing rendering, I still feel I have a clue of what I am talking about. I do not know if the software code is optimized or if their programmers did a half-fast job at it because I don't have access to the code (even if I did, 3d programming is not my expertise). So let's say they optimize the code to the best of their ability but yours and other gamers machines still run hot, what then? Still software?

All I know is I can run my dust covered, with one broken case fan, PC all month long and still spend a whole day playing Xsyon. My PC is as stubborn as I am. That's it, that's all I got.

On a happier note, I just ordered a new fan, compressed air, and more memory. Thank you JCatano for making me check up on these things. :cheer:

Xsyon wrote:
    We do have a new graphics expert on the team (started a month and half ago), who is working on these issues starting with improving terrain rendering, then moving onto shadows and speed tree, which I don't think was implemented correctly. (The programmer who originally worked on these things is no longer working on Xsyon).

So far the revised terrain renderer alone has improved framerate by 30-50% in our recent tests, but it won't be finished for another week or two.

So for now, put some ice on your graphics card and in a few weeks we should start seeing the improvements.
    Thanks you for letting us know this is indeed in your cross-hairs to fix.

To all the "it's your cooling" people .. ha, just ha.

cbowsin,

One interesting thing for sure, is nvidia seem to run hotter then ATI on this engine. Keep in mind that ATI and Nvidia have always had their own ways of doing things.

Further I think some been taking cbowsin wrong way. He is trying to think out every possibility of the situation. IN testing of this sort its not uncommon to have to have a programmer try out a dozen different video cards.

cbowsin -

You implied that we know nothing at all and it was a hardware issue on our end. Many of us have enough experience to know what the issue is, and it's quite obvious when many people are running in the 80's and 90's.

If you're ok with those temps on your GPU, then you'll be buying cards more often than the rest of us. :P

And it's not necessarily spec related. Not meeting the specs doesn't automatically cause your PC/GPU to overheat. My old GPU didn't meet DF requirements, but ran at 59-64 degrees. My current card runs at 65-72.

Cleaning up the graphics can do wonders for temps (just as it did in SWG beta).

zephar123 wrote:
    One interesting thing for sure, is nvidia seem to run hotter then ATI on this engine. Keep in mind that ATI and Nvidia have always had their own ways of doing things.
    Thanks for being objective. If your curious I am running an ATI card. This one in fact.

Relandi wrote:
    If I am wrong then I am wrong, and I have no problem with that. I'm not always right. If I am wrong, then the issue is 100% software related and Notorious's new guy fixes everything and we all are happy. If I am right or partially right and the new guy only drops the degrees a little bit, what are you going to do then, go back to Global Agenda? Either way, I still benefit.

JCatano wrote:
    You implied that we know nothing at all and it was a hardware issue on our end. Many of us have enough experience to know what the issue is, and it's quite obvious when many people are running in the 80's and 90's.

And it's not necessarily spec related. Not meeting the specs doesn't automatically cause your PC/GPU to overheat. My old GPU didn't meet DF requirements, but ran at 59-64 degrees. My current card runs at 65-72.

I came into this with an open mind. It wasn't until I was told it was absolutely and completely 100% a software issue did I respond in absolute. I do the same thing on The Old Republic forums. You make an argument that X is the only way to go then I will fully support Y. That's just the way I discuss. You want to consider other possibilities than we'll find ourselves on the same page.

I don't like dealing in absolute. Especially when I only have access to 50% of the problem. In my RL job, I am an advanced support technician with 5 years experience and a degree in programming for a software company, so there I have the luxury of viewing both sides of an issue, those sides being the end-user and the developer. Here, not so much. I can only fix the problem as an end-user with Xsyon. Which for the most part is what I was doing since none of us have access to the code to program it ourselves. I suppose in my experience I've encountered more issues of end-users blaming software only to find out it is in fact an end-user issue. Plus the only time I had ever experienced overheating problems myself with gaming was with my own cooling.

Perhaps it is not a spec issue. 'Can U Run It' says I can't run Global Agenda and I ran it fine. But what if the new guy optimizes the code but your GPU still runs to hot, what are you going to do? What can you do, other than not play the game?

Maybe I just suck balls and you all can laugh as I go through video card after video card but this is my second PC since 2002 and I built this in 2008 so I think I have another 4 years to go. Without any maintenance this baby been running good for past 2 years. So if getting a new PC every 6 years is laughable, then laugh away. I don't care.

cbowsin wrote:
    zephar123 wrote:
    Thanks for being objective. If your curious I am running an ATI card. This one in fact.

Relandi wrote:
    If I am wrong then I am wrong, and I have no problem with that. I'm not always right. If I am wrong, then the issue is 100% software related and Notorious's new guy fixes everything and we all are happy. If I am right or partially right and the new guy only drops the degrees a little bit, what are you going to do then, go back to Global Agenda? Either way, I still benefit.

JCatano wrote:

I came into this with an open mind. It wasn't until I was told it was absolutely and completely 100% a software issue did I respond in absolute. I do the same thing on The Old Republic forums. You make an argument that X is the only way to go then I will fully support Y. That's just the way I discuss. You want to consider other possibilities than we'll find ourselves on the same page.

I don't like dealing in absolute. Especially when I only have access to 50% of the problem. In my RL job, I am an advanced support technician with 5 years experience and a degree in programming for a software company, so there I have the luxury of viewing both sides of an issue, those sides being the end-user and the developer. Here, not so much. I can only fix the problem as an end-user with Xsyon. Which for the most part is what I was doing since none of us have access to the code to program it ourselves. I suppose in my experience I've encountered more issues of end-users blaming software only to find out it is in fact an end-user issue. Plus the only time I had ever experienced overheating problems myself with gaming was with my own cooling.

Perhaps it is not a spec issue. 'Can U Run It' says I can't run Global Agenda and I ran it fine. But what if the new guy optimizes the code but your GPU still runs to hot, what are you going to do? What can you do, other than not play the game?

Maybe I just suck balls and you all can laugh as I go through video card after video card but this is my second PC since 2002 and I built this in 2008 so I think I have another 4 years to go. Without any maintenance this baby been running good for past 2 years. So if getting a new PC every 6 years is laughable, then laugh away. I don't care.
    No game should be running in the 80's and 90's when a person has good airflow and well placed fans (a power-eater would be an exception... sort of), especially at 100% fan speed. My temps are actually "ok". Low to mid 70's with tree detail at 320m and default speed (30'ish %), but that's still over what it should be considering the graphics. Adjusting tree detail to 960m should not raise it to 79C. I assume Jordi's Speedtree comment could be related to a fix for that. We don't need to be a "programmer" to realize that there needs to be optimization, either. As far as you know, you could be talking to someone with more experience than you.

And having lower than required specs won't make you run hot. I'm not sure why you keep bringing that up.

If they can't fix it, I'll tell them they suck at optimization and cancel.

That work for ya?