Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re:Digging tunnels?

Digging caves can be perfect for hiding your loot or if you make it big enough to hide your whole clan !
    But I would prefer to see farming first or some kind of that direction. *plants chemical Mushrooms*
    *feeds the mushrooms some zombie meat*
    Jup,I would like that better.

Before i pre-ordered today it was exactly what i was thinking-find a waterfall and make a hidden cave behind it-hope it finds its way into the game.

Well, I looked behind a waterfall and did not see anything. Of course that was only one waterfall

So no tunnel digging, oh well, would be cool but it should be fine without. I was wondering if at any point you will be able to make traps that use the terrain. Such as digging a hole and putting some leaves over it so another player falls in. Would probably be real hard to put in, but would be awesome.

BLinDDeniaL wrote:
    This would be amazing especially when combined with mining for resources. Currently no other mmo has attempted mining in such a fashion. As for underground cities, I believe it's improbable as it leans more towards a fantasy take than a sci-fi/post apoc setting that borders on realism. However what is plausible in my opinion is building a village within or on a mountain side/rock face as there is more than enough support to prevent the collapse of the structure.
    hrm Wurm has mining for resources. You can't build structures underground, but you can put furniture, forges, ovens, storage containers and make caves at water level for boats, etc.

The way Wurm does it, from what I understand, is by basically splitting the world into two layers. One above the intersection of dirt and rock, the other below it. Mines are only pseudo-3d though, you can only have one standable surface on a subterranean rock tile, so if you mine under an existing tunnel weird things happen. It's still fun though. If there's no mining in xsyon, I'll miss it, but hopefully it will get implemented before too long if the game survives and is economically feasable.

Most games, either Single player or MMO don't do persistent underground spaces directly connected to the surface. They use doors/portals and instances to transfer the player to an indoor area for underground. Though Aion does have persistent underground areas, it would be interesting to know how they handle the coding for underground.

One way it could be handled is using pre-made tunnel sections that can intersect the main ground height map. By limiting the decent/ascent angle, you could have level, 5, 15, 45 and 90 degree sections along with corners and intersections. By making the wall sections dynamic, you could stretch/tile ceiling and floor tiles for larger rooms. Intersections with level ground could be handled with a terrain change feature.

One thing I would like to see is you have to provide your own lighting, none of that glowing moss or other typical game underground light sources.

I would like to be able to dig near a river and have the water flow into my hole. Then I could make a moat and do other things.

myeadon wrote:
    I would like to be able to dig near a river and have the water flow into my hole. Then I could make a moat and do other things.
    done and done

oh lol i guess i was on a rock lol, u can.

Virtus wrote:
    myeadon wrote:
    done and done
    Or to play off that idea, have the ability to dig out our own ponds, fill them with either buckets barrels or siphons, and stock them with our of fish.

boom, new skill "Fishery"