Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re:I dont want dirt in my pack.

another solution would be to make it highly stackable, like up to 100. It would take up 1 slot. in the end you can drop it (becomes an item like other collectable resources) or keep it to raise terrain.

i would not allow to raise terrain without dirt in any of your bags and not allow digging without space where to put the dirt.

terraforming would become a teamwork where a digger provides dirt for the raisers.

the tribe could also keep a dirt pile somewhere on a digging site, so that it is readily on hand for further workings and stuff...

all in all, dirt is a great thing if it's implemented right!

Even if it was highly stackable, it does not get around the encumbrance and weight of 100 dirt.

Diocletian wrote:
    Even if it was highly stackable, it does not get around the encumbrance and weight of 100 dirt.
    exactly. that's good. dirt becomes a management feature you have to deal with while terraforming. otherwise, terraforming is too much like "map design" and less like "gameplay"...
    you will have to dig 100 times to fill 1 slot and the weight/encumberance should be so that you can carry about 200-300 of those... now and then you drop them somewhere and that's it.

the problem I see is when a stupid drops 100 dirt one at a time just to bog down the server (someone will surely do such a stupid thing).

maybe the dirt could be "absorbed" by the terrain after say 10 minutes or so... that's just to limit the amount of items laying around the landscape...

This is all being taken into account so that we find the right balance.

The goals are to make things realistic enough and controlled so that players are not destroying mountains, but it should still be fun.