Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re:Guessing your build ?

Well I believe Jordi stated he was planning to add tool tips and what not to various things and items.

Where I stand (yes we had this discussion before in the forums, and REV I think i also had this discussion with you in-game) is I think less is more. I hate the cookie-cutter, you don't have XYZ so you're not cool, gear dependent type games.

I do think the player stats and various other settings at character creation is important because not everyone has been following the game for months or years. A new player needs to have some idea as to what options do what and some general idea of what the stats contribute so thyey can best create a character they will enjoy playing.

For example basketry should say, used for making grass armor or grass gear, and maybe even baskets (if they do at all, lol). Fishing should say improves starting fishing skill but also includes a starter fishing pole. (perhaps even adding the fishing pole to the character model). That last one I feel is important, it will reduce the amount of "Where do I get a fishing pole?" question asked in general often. :side:

As far as gear goes, if it works, I think there will be two things that could be in-game that would make this a not-so-gear-dependent issue for me.

The first one being that, nothing lasts forever. You don't get to keep your epics forever. Items don't last forever and eventually become useless. They can be repaired but each time they loose a little bit of 'umph'. Essentially like everything in life, out with the old in with the new. So it will be a constant quest of goods to replace not-so-good goods, creating a never ending consumable pit that requires players to ever so often switch out their gear.

The second being that mats will have different qualities, which with different tools, and different other factors, thus making nothing constant. So two players with a warped branch knife could have different knives. One could do 5 more damage than the other, but the other lasts 5 time longer thus at some point making it better in the long run. 5 players could all have Nine Iron Clubs, but with different values that produce different outcomes, who can say one is better than the other and especially when compared to other weapons.

With those two things, even when they add tool-tips could theoretically create a gear-independent system.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Re: Guessing your build ?

It's not so much as I want to know what every single thing does.

I think we should have a slight overview of what major things do though.

For example, strength makes you lift more things and hit harder, or agility makes you quicker and strike faster.

Having more complex things to figure out isn't a problem, I think, however, that if we have a big question mark about what the general function of our character will be, that it requires way too much experimentation and the game turns into a job.

We shouldn't be spoonfed everything but we should know what stats differentiate a warrior/hunter from a farmer/crafter. Otherwise there will be too much confusion at release and people will just give up. Also, if you want us to have a big question mark about the stats, then I agree what Rev said. It makes no sense at all to start the person of picking what stats their characters are going to have if they have no idea what each of them are going to do. Make each character have 0 in each stat and have them slowly build up as gamers do actions that involve them. It's like bodybuilding, you don't start off huge and ripped, you have to lift weights and eat right to get there.

i have to agree here if we dont know what stats do then we should all start off with exactly the same stat set or it auto preset your stats depending on your build. From there we raise them in game by use. If they raise by use then it will show us without being told what skills raise what. Basicly like uo did in the begining. there was nothing in uo telling us what stats did back then we learned by using the skills and figuring it out.
    just my 2 worthless cents.

Gotta love the old grumpy crafters hijacking the thread for it to become an 'anti gear' thread when it's not even about that. Stupid hijack

Jooky said in a post that brought this up before that descriptions for the stats will be added

Well I believe Jordi stated he was planning to add tool tips and what not to various things and items.
    Yes, there will be more tool tips, stat descriptions etc. Every skill and craft is affected by a primary and secondary stat. Every action is affected by at least one stat as well.

Tooltips and descriptions in the character creation seciton will be added as soon as possible. The functionality of all this is already in.

Right now we're just juggling many other changes (the terrain system, server updates, new website coming soon, the server location change over the past two weeks, creatures, etc.).