Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snow

Re:Snow

I think snow should cover the dirt, and the granite, but not the grass. so u will se a white plane with grass on it. Other thing, snow should not cover the roads fully either. Some parts of the road.

Is it going to be tougher to gather resources with snow on the ground?
    Yes, this is actually in but commented in the code for now. Since we were wiping characters and the world I didn't want players to be stuck testing in winter for a week with limited resources to play with.

By the next in game winter season this will be set up the way it's supposed to be.

One comment on the snow, the green grass looks a bit off on top of snow, replace with white "snow covered" grass?

and it should be cold :laugh:

Bossman wrote:
    It was right about that time people
    When a fur trapper

Dont eat the yellow snow.

Small point but I don't think snow fall actually makes the sound of some undergound printing machine.... as it does in-game. In fact, last I checked, snow fall makes no sound at all unless it's windy... but our snow just appears to fall vertically, like a screen saver :silly:

Now what would be cool....

[ul]
    [li]Snow that falls at a different angle and speed with the appropriate wind howl based on it's ferocity[/li]
    [li]diffent snow fall types : ie: blizzrds, gentle snow falls... even hail storms.[/li]
    [li]footprints in the snow and the appropriate 'snow crunching' sound as you walk over it[/li]
    [li] reduced character capabilties... ie: I would expect it to be cold when it snows leading to your character requiring to take shelter or loose health and even die if exposed for too long. A little like the green mist[/li]
    [li] as above, toon should slow down as the terrain under-foot should be tougher to run over... like walking up a steep hill side[/li]
    [li]snow storms or blizzards should build up gradually... then die down rather than the current 'screen saver' style[/li]

[/ul]

A lot of this could also apply to the rain falls... but I'll leave that to another post... maybe stopping the current crashes is more important right now :huh:

I love Bossmans ideas. To add to the losing health due to cold damage,Why not make it so if you are out and about that if you build a fire it can refresh ya for so long to continue on doing whatever you were doing? It would give fires another reason to be around other than cooking.

Perhaps if winter is made "cold" the comfort bar should slowly drain, taking from above posts you could restore this bar by taking shelter or standing near a nice warm fire. Maybe if this bar runs out, you slowly loose health until unconcious/ dead, or if not to be too harsh, injured.

A small idea, maybe "warm" clothes would slow or even prevent comfort loss in the cold weather, give another use for the tailoring and leather craft professions which will no doubt have access to making a wide array of clothing items.

Very nice ideas, I'm not sure about footprints though...how long would they stay in the snow ? It would give a huge burden to the server to keep track of all of our footprints.