Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re:Terraforming - trap hole

myeadon wrote:
    it will plrobly take a certain amount of time to teleport so you couldnt use it in a dangerous situation.
    Well depending on how long the delay is it could still be used for risk-free travel which is just as important to consider.

Also, how would the game even know you are stuck in a hole? I imagine there is some algorithm that could examine the surrounding tiles to see whether there is a climbable path but is that going to be robust enough to deal with the variety of situations that could occur? Sure it seems simple because everyone imagines a small hole but what if it was a pit 5 tiles square? 10 tiles? 50 tiles? Or what if it's a trench that follows a rectangular path and reconnects to itself? Or a trench with ends that can easily be walked in and out (therefore passing the "is this a hole" test) but has a pair of immovable objects in it and someone falls in between them?

Maybe the devs already have clever solutions to all of these scenarios but I can't imagine how a system like this could be reliable. An in-game mechanism to allow the player to climb (with heavy movement penalties) or be assisted by other players seems to be the best (and most realistic) solution.

Cunk wrote:
    Well depending on how long the delay is it could still be used for risk-free travel which is just as important to consider.
    I agree. Even with a long cooldown or channel time, people could exploit it by gathering a full load, teleporting home, and run on back.
    Cunk wrote:
    An in-game mechanism to allow the player to climb (with heavy movement penalties) or be assisted by other players seems to be the best (and most realistic) solution.
    I want to be able to freelance if I want, but I like how many benefits there are to helping others, especially tribesmen.
    I like this idea. Rope increasing climb abilities is awesome.

Basketry: 10 Grass Twine = 1 Grass Rope. Bam.

One way would be /suicide <charactername> where toon would be transported to totem of his tribe, or if untribed...spawn point for character creation. When they do this...they die, and drop their bag-o-goodies and maybe remove all toon is carrying and place in backpack as well...no free transport, you're just escaping a dire situation...but taking same penalty as being killed by something or someone.

This might make it less desireable to try the death express to carry stuff home, or evade death by conflict.

EDIT: but also include a way for friend or stranger, to help them, and prevent the un-needed death if someone can/will help them.

I like the suicide idea more then the teleportation myself.

Xsyon wrote:
    The plan is to make steep slopes impassible, but if your player is stuck in a put or similar situation you will get the option to teleport back to your home base.
    Thank You very much.

myeadon wrote:
    I like the suicide idea more then the teleportation myself.
    Ya, its much more realistic, or someone with long rope can help the him/her slowly climb up toward the character with a rope.

I forget what game it's from but I think Morrowind had a cheat that would 'jump' you out of a bugged area. That is that it don't teleport you, but instead moves you forward a few squares.

To me, that would be less exploitable, and would have little benefits of doing when it's not really required.

a simple /rope would be better and promote teamwork. Could go as far as needing the damn rope , and i think i would prefer that than a base teleport.

REVKhA wrote:
    a simple /rope would be better and promote teamwork. Could go as far as needing the damn rope , and i think i would prefer that than a base teleport.
    Needing a friend to help you out is good as an option, but not good as the only way of escaping. Xsyon population won't be high at the start, and it wouldn't be fun to sit in a trap for hours waiting for someone to come online.