Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Item Descriptions, Stats , Bonuses on mouseover.

Currently there are no differences to the way the game sees things from using, say Starter Shovel vs a Uber Shovel of Mountain Moving (tm)

My points are these :

Are item stats / bonuses going to be added at a future date ?

If so, could they be viewed via mouse-over when in the Inventory screen.

Eg :

Basic Shovel - 'A common shovel often used by beginner Terraformers'

Uber Shovel of Mountain Moving - 'The ultimate shovel for moving dirt around and making mountains out of molehills.' - Equip Effect '+1000000 Terraform, +1000 Epeen'

You get the idea *chuckle*

Re: Item Descriptions, Stats , Bonuses on mouseover.

This is a good idea.

Actually, it was already suggested in this thread:

http://www.xsyon.com/forums/42-tweak...nts-for-the-ui

Re:Item Descriptions, Stats , Bonuses on mouseover.

That's a good question. I mentioned something previously about not having tooltips during character creation, thus making the idea of selecting stats to increase moot if players have no clue what they contribute to.

With that said, they don't want to make the game gear driven or dependent aka "Xsyon is not a gear based game.". Which makes providing any stat details pointless. Because lets say they showed how strong each of the 5 threads are, let's say polyester was the strongest then people will want only that making the other 4 threads pointless.

I beleive we start with a 'scrapper shovel' or something and during my scavenging I found a 'standard shovel' and a 'square shovel'. If it provided what stats they give say, +1, +10, +20 then we could clearly determine what the 'best' shovel is and that is the shovel everyone would want throwing the rest away or holding on to until they got better.

One thing listed on the features page is that, "When and where you craft might be just as important as what you craft." and also "Skills are affected by many external factors." So perhaps A square shovel is better than a scrapper shovel when it is raining. Perhaps a Standard shovel is better than a Square shovel for fense making. Perhaps the Uber Shovel of Mountain Moving will give you brick roads where a scrapper shovel just gives you dirt roads. Displaying any of this info removes the 'exploring' and figuring' things out aspect so what info could be helpful to display without 'giving it away' ?

Re: Item Descriptions, Stats , Bonuses on mouseover.

I'm assuming they have plans for this. Hopefully something more than a tooltip. We know materials are going to affect the things we make so surely there'll at least have to be a way to see what materials something is made out of.

prokop15 wrote:
    Jesus, so stupid. I can't believe you think that not having any info on anything ever would be some kind of sweet game mechanic. These ideas aren't even related, let alone intelligent. Gear is not the same thing as stats. Pretty sure you just solved poverty. Why aren't those idiots living in mansions since THEY KNOW ITS THE BEST. What would happen when a couple weeks into launch we've figured out which thread is best?
    LOL, settle down cowboy. Never said it was a sweet game mechanic, it was based on my interpretation of the 'Features' list. I agree 'Gear' is not the same thing as stats, but a gear-dependent system is driven by them. Take WoW for example, heavily gear based. What keeps people chasing for the next carrot on the stick is because the new content has better stats than the content they currently completed. They are not the same thing, but in a gear dependent game stats go hand in hand with gear.

Poverty what? What are you talking about?

If min/max'ers figure out which thread is the best and at current drop rate, I would say 4 of the types will be immediately discarded and tailors will gather only the one.

It's all rock-paper-scissors. Perhaps people will figure out that bone armor provides the best defense against melee. So what will happen, that happens in every MMO is that if the majority players are melee then the majority of players will want bone, leaving the leather and cloth guys with very little customers. Until projectiles come into play and it is discovered leather provides the best projectile defense then leather workers become popular and so on and so on.

By displaying stats to tools, weapons, armor etc I believe contradicts the focus of the game as described on the features list. I could be wrong, but that is the impression I got. So instead of parading childish insults why not come over to the big boy's table and try to have an intelligent conversation. :lol:

I agree with prokop15, people are going to find out which one is best anyway.

Well in that case, Beta has been out for some time now, and since pvp is enabled what are the best weapons/armor currently in-game?

It will likely be a mix between, "character skills say this is better" and "player research proves this is better". That in my view creates a good game, instantly knowing what's good vs bad is just plan stupid.

prokop15 wrote:
    Poverty what? What are you talking about?
    I'm not writing the following for you as you are too stupid to understand it: Homeless people are just walkin' around with a cardboard box like "IDK, is this any good?". Africans just haven't figured out they have to eat food yet.

You could try reading my post in context rather than mashing up my words.

If min/max'ers figure out which thread is the best and at current drop rate, I would say 4 of the types will be immediately discarded and tailors will gather only the one.
    It will be figured out, in a very short amount of time. So after a few weeks in and we know what things do, it would be cool to just be able to play the game instead of referencing a spreadsheet every time I want to craft.

It's all rock-paper-scissors. Perhaps people will figure out that bone armor provides the best defense against melee. So what will happen, that happens in every MMO is that if the majority players are melee then the majority of players will want bone, leaving the leather and cloth guys with very little customers. Until projectiles come into play and it is discovered leather provides the best projectile defense then leather workers become popular and so on and so on.
    Oh, did you just figure out why knowing general stats wont result in every material being worthless?

By displaying stats to tools, weapons, armor etc I believe contradicts the focus of the game as described on the features list. I could be wrong, but that is the impression I got.
    Oh, no you didn't.
    Epic troll

Now back to adult talk.

I agree that knowing right off the bat would be boring, and yes people will eventually figure out which material is best for what, it will not be anytime soon.

There are too many variables to determine the best uses of each item to figure it out in a short time unless you plan on launching some type of investigative experiment and spending most of your free time testing it.

not only is it possible that materials effect items but location, time, weather, date, skill,tool,item you're crafting, stats,hunger/thirst,faith, we just don't know what and what does not affect it.

I understand the need to keep the guessing game alive, and my examples were stupidly obvious for a reason

But say linen thread description read 'Common thread with high durability', and polyester thread read 'Fairly common thread with great elasticity'

Each description says a bit about commonality (ease of obtaining) and a hint at where to use it best, in this example linen may add durability to your basic armours before said armour wears out, polyester thread may be better used to making tent covers.

When all is said and done there is a lot that isn't know about any aspect of the game yet, and I love it like this, but without even a basic description the game can feel a little bland. This is just a suggestion to add a bit of flavour