Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coordinates

Re:Coordinates

Greetings.

I cant find my way out of a mall, but stills agree with You.

One could use a RL Lake Tahoo map and make a grid system on it for tribal use as maps are available all over internet.

Anyone watch tv-serie Lost? They were really lost. We, just have to send out our best tribe scouts

regards

aliksteel wrote:
    I'm staying lost as hell 99% of the time, The only time I'm not is when I say the hell with it and I'm going to do my thing where ever the hell I am.

This is not WOW,EQ2,LOTRO,SWG,WAR or what ever MMO you played last. Not having a map is part of the game. Immersion factor is one point to no map, But say Jooky caved in on this, And gave us a map. What next? Showing stats on all armor, weapons? Little numbers scrolling up the screen as we fight to tell up what our dps is? When do you stop, When it becomes WOW? How about the big red button that makes you max out on all skill's?

Like I said at the top of this comment, I stay lost, But that also helps in making what land we have feel very large? But think back to the last game you played, How often did yoou run around not even looking around and seeing the world? Most likely you ran around with the map up and missed most of the world.

Come on gang, Let's have fun getting lost together.

Virtus wrote:
    good reason not to leave it, it may as well be a map

But in the real world we have things like rope and levels to measure things in addition to maps. Even building the pyramids they had tools for working out angles, height, and distance. Coordinates simply represent the abilities and sense we would normally have.

Paradox wrote:
    Virtus wrote:
    good reason not to leave it, it may as well be a map

But in the real world we have things like rope and levels to measure things in addition to maps. Even building the pyramids they had tools for working out angles, height, and distance. Coordinates simply represent the abilities and sense we would normally have.
    yes, but that and being given the exact GPS co-ords are two completely different things

I agree. Think there should be a happy median. We wouldn’t need XYZ if we had other more fitting ways of determining this. Thing is, going completely dumb and blind is just as bad as having a GPS in your head. That’s just going from one extreme to the other.

Not too worried about navigating the world. I have the sun, stars, and a map.

What I would like is a way to construct cities accurately.

Virtus wrote:

yes, but that and being given the exact GPS co-ords are two completely different things

agreed, to a point.

As I said in my earlier post in Roma Victor and Wurm people, after a bit of time, were able to find their way around with no map.

RV was a bit easier cuz each board was square and named something different.

Maybe a map of regions....regions are not square and they have nothing to do with what board you are on. Someone could make a map started from the lake and working in and guesstimating where a zone begins/ends. It would not be perfect, which i wouldn't expect it to be, but it would help somewhat.

I think my tribe mates might be concerned with terraforming and building. The coordinates give exact postions allowing for precise layouts. Prehaps a system where two toons use some string, or something to determine distance. Maybe a pop up window which tells the distance apart, or a predetermined length which would stop a toon from moving when the desired distance was reached.

Oh and another thing, how about a compass! Even if it's just a couple leaves, some water and a magnatized needle.

I agree that a precise coordinate system is a bit much. I would just like to see some of the landmarks be more prominent. Some of the peaks perhaps a bit more pronounced or some areas with a predominance of a particular sort of tree or grass, rock formations, even dirt color or type of animals. Between these sorts of things and the stars I think we would have enough to go on.

CrazyJ wrote:
    I think my tribe mates might be concerned with terraforming and building. The coordinates give exact postions allowing for precise layouts. Prehaps a system where two toons use some string, or something to determine distance. Maybe a pop up window which tells the distance apart, or a predetermined length which would stop a toon from moving when the desired distance was reached.

Oh and another thing, how about a compass! Even if it's just a couple leaves, some water and a magnatized needle.
    I think compass and in game player made map is part of the plans somewhere down the road.

Don't forget, to measure distance you can use the width of your body. The average person is about 2 feet wide shoulder to shoulder. Ok, so it's not a great way for huge jobs, but it is a way for now at least.

CrazyJ wrote:

Exactly,

How about a tube with some water for leveling? Stuff like that would be great and very fitting for the level of technology we should have.

Virtus wrote:

Don't forget, to measure distance you can use the width of your body. The average person is about 2 feet wide shoulder to shoulder. Ok, so it's not a great way for huge jobs, but it is a way for now at least.
    Looking down a gun sight at a person I can judge 300m very closely this way

I like to see a personal map.where you can put you own points into a outline of the area your in.Maybe its a good dump there or a tribe.Find it mark it.