Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coordinates

Re:Coordinates

I think we have two related but separate issues here. While coordinates can be used for terraforming/construction I think the idea of a skill (I put up a thread about a surveyor skill in the tweaks area) could take care of this locally without giving everyone a built in gps.

That would be a great tool ingame.
    You need to find the magnetic needle on a junkyard, pick a leave and expect a certain delay to read "compass, illustrated by a leave with the needle floating in a box of water. And there you get the direction of north?

And what about ant hills for navigation?
    Our scouts must have some challenges.

CrazyJ wrote:

Oh and another thing, how about a compass! Even if it's just a couple leaves, some water and a magnatized needle.

Ignominus wrote:
    I think we have two related but separate issues here. While coordinates can be used for terraforming/construction I think the idea of a skill (I put up a thread about a surveyor skill in the tweaks area) could take care of this locally without giving everyone a built in gps.
    Youre right about that. Perhaps a mod could split them into their diffrent themes?

Could a toolmaker make those measuring objects?

i.e. a piece of wood thats 1 meter.

When you carrying this and pushing a button you would see a 2 or 3d grid ?

The grid worked great in Wurm, But not sure that it will work with the way we terraform here in Xsyon.

Maybe a surveyor skill in terraforming where you can only use it inside your tribe zone to get some exact (more exact the higher your surveyor skill) coords to use in building, but once you step outside your zone, you have no coords(you won't be building there). It wouldn't even have to be world coords, each tribe zone could have it's own set specific to the zone with (0,0) being the exact center of the zone. This would take care of the mathematics needed for building. Then you would need Cartography skill to make a player made map of the world, the better the skill, the better the map, but you would need papyrus and charcoal to draw the map, then if traded or sold to another player, they would then be able to look at it also.

I'm not too concerned about getting lost. My concern was leveling the terraforming. I cant see Xsyon putting in an all new system to terraform with. Leveling is tedious as it is with altitude ...cant imagine how insanely impossible it will be without it.

Dont make the game impossible to enjoy.

I think Aiken had it right when he was talking just tribe land

Aiken wrote:
    Maybe a surveyor skill in terraforming where you can only use it inside your tribe zone to get some exact (more exact the higher your surveyor skill) coords to use in building, but once you step outside your zone, you have no coords(you won't be building there). It wouldn't even have to be world coords, each tribe zone could have it's own set specific to the zone with (0,0) being the exact center of the zone. This would take care of the mathematics needed for building. Then you would need Cartography skill to make a player made map of the world, the better the skill, the better the map, but you would need papyrus and charcoal to draw the map, then if traded or sold to another player, they would then be able to look at it also.
    Not sure just how much work it would take, Or if it would mean another terraforming revamp. But I do like the idea of it.

Here is Easy solution. Really easy solution. Lets use cordinates in a tribal zone only. It will make Shinra happy, and the rest of you folks also.

LOL @ carebears wanting hand holding features in retail like coords.

aliksteel wrote:
    Come on gang, Let's have fun getting lost together.
    I absolutely agree Alik.
    If - on some day - the coords are patched away there will be another increasement of joy in my eyes. If you need measurement systems - well then build them. You can position logs, you can count steps if only walking, exactly the rough tools that have to be used make the charm of this game. I do not really need anything additional. Just that the areas are different, the trees are not everywhere the same, the waterfalls look distinct. Of course this is only my view, like always in game (and life ^^).
    Cheers.