Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Revolutionary development using players in Prelude

Am I right in thinking that this game is being developed along different lines than alpha beta release?

It seems like the devs have given us a blank slate, and those few of us lucky enough to discover this game are tasked with the mission of building the towns, roads, tribes and quests!

We pioneers (lol DnL terminology there) must establish tribes (factions), evil players (monsters), resources and strategy (quests) and PvP objectives (towns).

I imagine that when the Prelude is complete, the game will be ready for the great swathe of 'normal gamers' who need that content established.

If my understanding is correct then what an amazing game and development plan! However, the fact that I'm making this post means that this philosophy has been poorly communicated. Many 'normal gamers' may be turned away by the empty world, and that negative reputation would be a bad thing for the long term success of this game.

Anyway, that's my first post. See you ingame sometime....

Re:Revolutionary development using players in Prelude

trenker wrote:

I imagine that when the Prelude is complete, the game will be ready for the great swathe of 'normal gamers' who need that content established.

If my understanding is correct then what an amazing game and development plan! However, the fact that I'm making this post means that this philosophy has been poorly communicated. Many 'normal gamers' may be turned away by the empty world, and that negative reputation would be a bad thing for the long term success of this game.
    First point, not thinking this game is for what you call the normal gamer. This will be a sandbox type game, Your normal gamers like games like WOW, EQ2, LOTRO and the rest. This game is not made for that type of player. Here the players make the content.

And as far as "philosophy has been poorly communicated" is not right, You are later to the party as for why he is doing the thing that he is doing. Jooky(The guy that come up with this little game)Want's it to be a low population right now. He does not have the servers or the people to deal with a population that you would get in LOTRO or even STO. So it's going the way he want's it. Gamers that are into gaming this way are finding out about it, Because that what we do. Unlike the rest of them normal gamers out there that open up an magazine to find there next game. We have to hunt for ours, The same way we found WURM.

So all is fine here, And if your like us and enjoy getting your hands dirty, See ya in-game.

I think I understand your reply.

Anyway, so am I right in thinking we build the game in the Prelude and that the game will subsequently be opened up more after that, once the foundation has been laid so to speak?

Thx

Yes, It will be elevationary(is that even a word?)in the fact that Jooky will add things into the game without telling us. Skills to make tool, and weapons, Armor. New hut's. The trick will be to find the way to learn the new skills that you don't know if there is a new skill to learn or not. Not knowing what he is adding are when he adds content into the game, Is going to be what helps push us to discover new things.

Here is a quote from the front page, You can check it all out there, It's a lot to take in. http://www.xsyon.com/features
    Everything in the world can be crafted and destroyed. Craftsmen can find new patterns, recipes and blueprints, learn from other players or gain knowledge through inspiration
    I would also say reading the About page as well, Lot's of good info. http://www.xsyon.com/about

The biggest problem right now is the carebear tribes that came from 3rd party clans trying to appropriate the game to themselves while there is no competition or tools for others to create tribes.

This is not Prelude. That won't start until the game is officially released.

And I suppose you could view the establishment of tribes and building villages as creating content for some future players but since the game is mainly about surviving and building I think people will be more interested in finding unpopulated corners of the map to build their own villages. We're not creating the sort of content you find in theme park games which is what you seem to be imagining.

And there are other games that start players off in a blank world and rely on them to build everything, Wurm and A Tale in the Desert being two that come to mind, so it's not that revolutionary of a concept.

There are many things that will make this game 'ground breaking', and I only know a few of those reasons.

A sandbox game typically means that everything in the game is built by the players except where obsoletely required. I believe everything in Wurm is player built at some point, except for Goat Horns - those that play the game SHOULD know what that is :P

Prelude is when the game goes live. Players will build and construct what is needed. Built Tribal Totem Poles, and will of course insert quests into the game.

Unlike other games thou, you likely wont find quests to kill ten bears, or the like. However you may find them if that is required to advance the tribe.

To my knowledge, we don't know why quests are in the game, however it will be a fun exploration for us to make the quests, not to have quests forced on the player (from the game).

kiwibird wrote:
    There are many things that will make this game 'ground breaking', and I only know a few of those reasons.

A sandbox game typically means that everything in the game is built by the players except where obsoletely required. I believe everything in Wurm is player built at some point, except for Goat Horns - those that play the game SHOULD know what that is :P

Prelude is when the game goes live. Players will build and construct what is needed. Built Tribal Totem Poles, and will of course insert quests into the game.

Unlike other games thou, you likely wont find quests to kill ten bears, or the like. However you may find them if that is required to advance the tribe.

To my knowledge, we don't know why quests are in the game, however it will be a fun exploration for us to make the quests, not to have quests forced on the player (from the game).
    I played Wurm for a few years but I have no idea what "Goat Horns" means. I tend to avoid the general Wurm public though so maybe it's some inside joke among them?

Its one of two things, its either the 'item' given to high ranking offcials to do what they do (teleport, create, delete etc) or it is simply a 'creator'.

Want a 99ql item, the horn makes them instantly, with only needing the horn and knowing how to use it.

LOL :laugh: