Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animal Pathing

Animal Pathing

Today I noticed something odd with animals and their pathing when they chase your character. They will chase you up to a fixed distance but then will stop. This stop line is hard line, if you cross it they come after you, if you cross back, they stop and go about their non-aggressive business. If you time it right you can step across the line an hit the animal, then move back and they won't strike you.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, but it seems to be a way to exploit hunting of animals.

Here is a video of the behavior described above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN9LJjRLGgw

Re:Animal Pathing

kiting not good

The demonstration is not about kiting, but about animals stopping at a hard line which the player can retreat across and use to attack the mob with little risk.

BTW, Kiting could be prevented by the animal moving somewhat faster than human toons. IRL, Bears can run faster than humans, except on steep downhill slopes.

Agree what Kitsume writes. Theres something with tha AI of animal that makes killing it very easy as described.

I think, if You speedup running of the bear and adding more damage/agressivness this "kiting",will probably be over.

You, as a mankind, cant outrun a bear in reality and very seldom kill it alone especially with short distance weapons.

The speed and ai of bear/animals have previously been commented and bug-reported by others too.

regards

knitting may not be good but the generally public will do anything they can to succeed.They dont play nice.When toons get into range they should start after you again and auto get a try on the first hit rule.

Was it at a zone border? I've seen two animals that should be fighting staring at each other across a zone border:

Maybe it's related.

please remove all animals until they can breastfeed

Cunk wrote:
    Was it at a zone border? I've seen two animals that should be fighting staring at each other across a zone border:

Maybe it's related.
    I'm pretty sure it was not a zone border, I tried it from several different directions and on a few different animals in different locations.

I've also seen animals attacking each other, bear vs mule deer and coyote vs raccoon.

Cunk wrote:

Maybe it's related.
    I thought I read somewhere that it was set so that animals of different species wouldn't attack each other

Virtus wrote:
    Cunk wrote:

Maybe it's related.
    I thought I read somewhere that it was set so that animals of different species wouldn't attack each other
    nope, was wrong, they still do attack each other.