Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re:Object interaction flagging, lessons from UO/ATiD

Cracky69 wrote:
    This is such a fundamental part of the game I surely hope the developers know how to achieve their aims.

Clearly it's dumb if I can stop a tribe developing their land by making a few roads or dropping logs there. Equally it's daft if people can leave baskets all over the place that cannot be removed.

I was surprised when I deleted a character of mine and his basket was still stuck in the ground afterwards.

I would also hope there is some way (even if difficult) for a tribe to damage the walls of another tribe's fortifications, and even a way to overrun it.

I also think fires should need replenishing to stop them blighting the landscape in every direction.

Player owned objects should get deleted along with the character, otherwise we will see baskets and created items everywhere and it would be an eyesore.

As for destroying walls, it should be possible, but only for warring tribes and it should require a decently sized force and a moderate amount of time and effort. Damaging another tribes objects and buildings should be a part of a larger siege system and as such should be required to be more thought out and planned and not "Hey it's 6AM and nobody is on lets take 3 guys and take down some walls".

And I would agree fires are everwhere and it's starting to look rediculous .

Oh yes, I really did mean that destroying other people's villages / forts should be difficult but still possible. I agree with you that night raids to wreck a lot af hard work are not a good idea.

At the same time I don't like this idea that tribes can just build some indestructable fortress that screams 'we're in charge here' unless they have actually earnt it.

This is always a tricky one to balance when players can not be online at all times.

Cracky69 wrote:
    Clearly it's dumb if I can stop a tribe developing their land by making a few roads or dropping logs there... I was surprised when I deleted a character of mine and his basket was still stuck in the ground afterwards.
    Shrimps wrote:
    Player owned objects should get deleted along with the character, otherwise we will see baskets and created items everywhere and it would be an eyesore.
    That would actually break lore in my view. By what power grants "X, Y, Z, items are deleted because Jkl left the game? What defines 'left the game'?

No, there needs to be a justifiable system in which allows for the ability to remove the items. While I don't like the idea of 'Departed Reclamation Acts" that give people the ability to ransack items, I do believe it is one possible answer to this problem. Just because Jkl no longer plays the game, or the trial expired, shouldn't mean the items are deleted.

No I think a system is required that says (example only) one month after a players subscription has expired the structures, storage and items that person has (excluding those items carried on the person) are able to be claimed by the first person to try to claim such structure, storage or item.

I think it's better to give the tribe first access and/or a Will system that gives around one week grace before it can be claimed by a tribe or the named person in the will.

I would also hope there is some way (even if difficult) for a tribe to damage the walls of another tribe's fortifications, and even a way to overrun it.
    This is planned I believe, but not till well after the start of the game - thou I could be wrong.

I also think fires should need replenishing to stop them blighting the landscape in every direction.
    This is currently disabled. The fires will need to be restocked with fuel. What fuel isn't known as fires do burn without the need of fuel.

Xsyon Citizen

kiwibird wrote:

This is currently disabled. The fires will need to be restocked with fuel. What fuel isn't known as fires do burn without the need of fuel.
    The Fuel is firewood cut from small logs. :cheer:

Xsyon Citizen

kiwibird wrote:
    That would actually break lore in my view. By what power grants "X, Y, Z, items are deleted because Jkl left the game? What defines 'left the game'?
    I think it comes down to the difference between a Deleted Toon and an Inactive account. A Will or Reclamation Act would be fine for inactives. But, a Deleted Toon should have anything that is NOT marked Public or Clan deleted with the Toon. That is just my opinion but, it would be a good way to remove unwanted baskets and logs etc......

WillBingham wrote:
    kiwibird wrote:

The Fuel is firewood cut from small logs. :cheer:
    What about using branches and twigs that are gathered from the ground?

An alternative to having a deleted characters items deleted is to just have them become public domain and accesible by anyone.

But I do believe that Tribe leaders should have the ability to delete, remove or destroy any item on tribe lands at any time, and to be able to designate others who are allowed to do this as well.

This would be of course to prevent griefing on tribe lands by building houses or objects in places they do not belong. This may be a bit lore breaking but in some cases I believe it is neccesary for lore to take a backseat to practicality.