Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tribal Upkeep

Tribal Upkeep

What do you guys think of a tribal upkeep system? Such as one that requires resources and crafted items be offered to the gods of Xsyon each day? If tribes fail to make an offering the gods lose some faith in them. If it drops to zero they lose control of the territory. Effectively destroying the tribe. The larger a tribe becomes the more organized, and efficient they need to be in order to maintain control of their territory. This would be a great mechanism to remove poorly organized, or inactive tribes, and also reduce the size, and sprawl of larger tribes.

This system would also mean wars are fought to weaken, but not outright destroy opposing tribes. It becomes more a battle of attrition rather than wanton destruction. So raids anytime during the day would be possible. As opposed to scheduled raids which I think are kinda lame.

Also this would prevent large zergs from destroying every tribe in their path. They could weaken them greatly, but they could easily survive any massive raid if they can make an offering on time.

Thoughts?

Re: Tribal Upkeep

I dont like the idea of forcing religion onto tribes. Religion and sacrificing to your gods should reward the tribe, once religion is in, for sure, but to force all tribes to believe in a god is a little too.... born again christian for me.

Also, dont buildings have upkeep requirements already? Perhaps a totem should just require an upkeep like a building would?

Re:Tribal Upkeep

Well if you really want to be politically correct with something that's totally fantasy it could, for all intents and purposes, be called 'tribal upkeep'. I'm not religious in anyway, but I felt that would tie in nicely with the Xsyon mythos.

I get what you were thinking, but remember not all tribes are into RP, and probably wouldnt get off on that.

Have any religion ever controlled a tribe/people so much that if you did not sacrifice to them, the whole system would collapse (I'm sure that a lot of examples of societies where Gods were the very the center of the society and the society would collapse because part of what kept it going, the society, was the sacrifices/religion.)

I'm against it. There is already enough time sinks in this game .
    With the introduction of repairing, that would just be really mean. But there is nothing that prohibits you, as a society, to make laws that requires your members to sacrifice to the Gods (the vaults of the tribe .)
    Or you could put up a religious toll for outsiders entering your city to show their respect to your God(s).

The law system (which is supposed to be introduced somewhat before the release - I hope) will provide more than enough possibilities to create a very religious based tribe.
    - For now you can't even attack tribe areas, though that will (again hopefully) be removed, I still vouch for the possibility of total and utter destruction - remember you still need to fight the tribe while destroying their city - NOT an easy task.) You won't see cities wiped from the map so long that it takes time to destroy buildings - it is limitted for how long you can keep a raid going.

with tribal boundries constantly getting larger as you get more people there are going to be constant non-stop city building. And even when people think they are done they are never really done, with having this much control on how our cities are created it will be an on going non-stop city building restructuring process.

This is exactly why I got this game- for the city building aspect- after testing things out I'm starting to see how this will be something that I will always be working on and improving on our city layouts for defensive, trade, housing- it will just get better and better as time goes on.

No upkeep, one reason I never wanted to pay for Wurm Online. My upkeep is already paid through the monthly fee.

I believe what the OP really wants (and I agree with) is a mechanism in place to deter very large clans from easily controlling large swaths of land.

Think about it. If there is no downside to owning more tribal land, then it the largest clans can and will take over as much as the game lets them.

There needs to be a downside. It could be in the form of no instant travel so it becomes more difficult to defend all of your holdings the more you spread out. Upkeep would also deter this from happening.

For those worried about an additional timesink - the upkeep could be scaled up nonlinearly depending on how much land the tribe controls.

Derek wrote:
    Think about it. If there is no downside to owning more tribal land, then it the largest clans can and will take over as much as the game lets them.

There needs to be a downside. It could be in the form of no instant travel so it becomes more difficult to defend all of your holdings the more you spread out. Upkeep would also deter this from happening.
    That's how it works in real life. Yeah, I know it's a game, but it's not an arena-based game. I say let large tribes try to take as much land as they can. As long as there is no instant travel option then it will be much more difficult for them to hold possesion of larger swaths of land. Smaller tribes could band together and try to beat the larger tribes through the principle of divide et impera - divide and conquer. Or through the use of guerilla tactics.

mrcalhou wrote:
    That's how it works in real life. Yeah, I know it's a game, but it's not an arena-based game. I say let large tribes try to take as much land as they can. As long as there is no instant travel option then it will be much more difficult for them to hold possesion of larger swaths of land. Smaller tribes could band together and try to beat the larger tribes through the principle of divide et impera - divide and conquer. Or through the use of guerilla tactics.
    I agree and that is why I hope there is no fast travel between holdings.